How to install PM on various distros (a finding)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
danielson
Fanatic
Fanatic

How to install PM on various distros (a finding)

Unread post by danielson » 2014-08-10, 14:07

Dabbing with various distros, i have difficulties installing PM.
Did find this page that gives so many hints and thought i'd share:
http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-pale-m ... pale-moon/

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: How to install PM on various distros (a finding)

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-08-10, 15:16

I'm one of those who just can't seem to install linux Pale Moon (or any other browser from a linux tar ball). I've always just extracted the palemoon folder from the tar ball, then right clicked on the folder to open it up and then launched Pale Moon from the sub palemoon folder which contains the executable file. This doesn't install Pale Moon so I have to make desktop and panel launch icons for Pale Moon using Gui menus instead of the Terminal.

Thanks for the link. 8-) It's much appreciated. :)
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

danielson
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by danielson » 2014-08-10, 18:32

Glad to know i'm not the only one to have an issue with installing anything that's not in the official repo. ;)

The lad from that website just wrote back to me saying that his favorite distro is Xubuntu but that he also like LinuxMint Cinnamon and Mate.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2014-08-10, 19:50

Thanks for this useful article danielson! :thumbup:

I've been one of those with the same trouble here when trying to install Pale Moon that way on some of the mainstream GNU/Linux distros. This seems to solve it.

Best.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-08-10, 20:25

Just curious.

But, if one wants to "uninstall" linux Pale Moon after it's been installed (when a newer version is released), will linux Pale Moon uninstall using the Synaptic Package Manager or does one have to uninstall it through the use of the linux Terminal which is in all linux distros?

I much prefer using the Synaptic Package Manager over the Terminal.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-08-10, 20:49

danielson wrote:Dabbing with various distros, i have difficulties installing PM.
Have you tried the 'pminstaller' installation tool? See http://sourceforge.net/p/pm4linux/wiki/Installation%20and%20uninstallation/.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2014-08-10, 20:52

Antonius32 wrote:
danielson wrote:Dabbing with various distros, i have difficulties installing PM.
Have you tried the 'pminstaller' installation tool? See http://sourceforge.net/p/pm4linux/wiki/Installation%20and%20uninstallation/.
I did. Not always work.