Will Pale Moon be in the Ubuntu software manager eventually?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Tar_Ni

Will Pale Moon be in the Ubuntu software manager eventually?

Unread post by Tar_Ni » 2014-05-09, 17:19

Hi,

I want to switch to Pale Moon as a Xubuntu user but I wonder when Pale Moon builts for Linux will be in the Ubuntu software center? As an open source project it has it's place there.

That's the only thing I am waiting for in order to make the switch to Linux and avoid the horror of FF Australis. It's easier to install/uninstall from there and from there the updates are taken in charge by the Update manager.

Thanks.

access2godzilla

Re: Will Pale Moon be in the Ubuntu software manager eventua

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-05-09, 18:13

Tar_Ni wrote:I wonder when Pale Moon builts for Linux will be in the Ubuntu software center?
Probably never, unless someone else makes them, since making packages for each and every distro is a tedious job. I don't even use Ubuntu.

The pminstaller tool is just as easy to use as the package manager. If you run into problems, ask here :)

Tar_Ni

Unread post by Tar_Ni » 2014-05-09, 18:38

But will that keep palemoon updated?

Thanks.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-05-09, 19:04

It has an "update" option as well, so, yes, it will keep things updated.

Tar_Ni

Unread post by Tar_Ni » 2014-05-09, 19:25

Ok thanks!

By the way, if the developpers of the project wants to make a submission for inclusion in The Ubuntu Software Center it's here: http://developer.ubuntu.com/publish/app ... on-states/

It would be nice really, and would give Pale Moon Linux more visibility.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-05-10, 07:13

Tar_Ni wrote: It would be nice really, and would give Pale Moon Linux more visibility.
Yep, I would like to see it happen too, but like a2g I'm not ubuntu user either. No idea how the ubuntu software center works.

I would suggest you to find ubuntu users that are willing to do so and are ready to maintain it.
Or learn the process yourself and do the nice thing not only for you but for others too. ;)

Roranicus

Unread post by Roranicus » 2014-05-11, 18:03

I would love to see that too. Sadly, I'm still too much of a newbie and I don't know how to manage a package for the software center, else I'd offer.

Trapper

Unread post by Trapper » 2014-05-12, 15:57

If you have succeeded in installing Pale Moon with the pminstaller tool there's no reason why you cannot easily update Pale Moon using the update option provided with the same tool. A little bit of effort and work on our part saves a whole lot of extra required effort and work on the PM developer's part. JMO.

Tar_Ni

Unread post by Tar_Ni » 2014-05-27, 19:26

Unfortunately I am much of a newbie, I didn't even succeeded installing Pale Moon on Ubuntu with the methodology provided here. It's just too much trouble.

I just wish some developpers could compile the packages so that it could be easily installed using the synaptic package manager or the Ubuntu software center. Until then I will have to use some other browser.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-05-28, 01:12

Tar_Ni wrote:Unfortunately I am much of a newbie, I didn't even succeeded installing Pale Moon on Ubuntu with the methodology provided here. It's just too much trouble.
You can run Pale Moon from the executable file without installing it. I run Pale Moon from the executable file in both Mint 16 and SolydX. The only drawback using this method since Pale Moon isn't installed, it won't make the Pale Moon menu entry under Internet and you have to create the Pale Moon launcher icon on the Panel taskbar and also for the Desktop (if you need the Pale Moon launcher icon on the Desktop).

In the link below, once on the page, scroll on down and you'll see what my Pale Moon looks like running in SoldyX. Pale Moon isn't installed in that screenshot. My Pale Moon launcher icon is on the far right next to my Firefox launcher icon. You'll have to click on my attachment to get a clearer and larger picture.

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 4&start=20
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Valeria

Unread post by Valeria » 2014-05-28, 19:01

Hello Tar_Ni,

I will tell you the method I used in order to install Pale Moon 24.5.0 on my Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr 32-bit operating system, which worked like a charm. My dad told me this is not the recommended method, but it worked for me and it was relatively easy-and-quick to do. However, whether everybody else knows a more recommended method, please, post it here.

All right, here we go.

1. I downloaded the intuitive pminstaller-0.1.3.tar.bz2 installer file created by access2godzilla ;) from here. Since it is an on-line installer, it is very small and you will have got it downloaded in a blink of an eye, literally speaking. :D
2. Once it is downloaded, run a terminal in your Xubuntu operating system. Execute sudo -i and press the Enter key (you will be root superuser, so be careful about what you do from now on).
3. Now, you need to go to the exact directory where the pminstaller-0.1.3.tar.bz2 installer file was saved. In my case I had to type cd /home/valeria/Downloads and press Enter, because it was saved in my Downloads directory. If you need to make sure the installer file is there, you can always use the ls command and press Enter, so you can list all (sub)directories and files in that location. You can go back with the cd .. command (id est: cd(space)..).
4. Then you have got to extract the installer file by typing tar -jxvf pminstaller-0.1.3.tar.bz2 and pressing Enter.
5. Now, enter the final command: su -c ./pminstaller.sh.

This will pop up a window with a drop-down menu where you’ve got to select Latest version and continue with the full installation of Pale Moon. The final steps are just a few easy-to-understand options that you’ve got to click to select – Yes, no more commands. :)

You may want Pale Moon to be your most preferred web browser and/or allow Pale Moon to use hunspell for spell checking.

Pale Moon will be fully installed in your operating system in a few minutes. Look for it at the Xubuntu’s application menu and run it. Then, you can exit the Pale Moon installer and close the terminal.

Finally, to return to your regular user status, you will want to log out and log in again, or restart your computer and log in with your user normally. By the way, this is how my Pale Moon looks like. :)

I hope this helps you.

Kind regards,

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-05-29, 11:50

Wow: such complex, much masochistic ;)

Double clicking the pminstaller.sh file is enough to install it. Apparently some people find this too complex. *sigh*

cyansmoker

Unread post by cyansmoker » 2014-06-06, 07:57

A quick update on this:

Ubuntu is actually my main environment, even if I use CentOS VMs to build Pale Moon.

If MoonChild deems my builds not too crappy, I may look into that Ubuntu software center submission process.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-06-06, 12:13

cyansmoker wrote:Ubuntu is actually my main environment, even if I use CentOS VMs to build Pale Moon.

If MoonChild deems my builds not too crappy, I may look into that Ubuntu software center submission process.
Mint and SolydX are my main linux environments. Since Mint is ubuntu based, this might help Pale Moon get noticed by the Mint developers.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

inoculate128

Unread post by inoculate128 » 2014-06-11, 14:53

I've never done it myself, but I understand that the process of creating and hosting Ubuntu builds is not at all difficult.

It starts with setting up a Launchpad https://launchpad.net/ account. Then all you need to do is upload your source code for each new build. The tool automatically generates x86 and AMD64 packages, then hosts them in your own PPA (Personal Project Archive). Ubuntu users can then access and install them using whatever software management tools they wish (apt-get install, Adept, Muon, Synaptic, etc).

Each time you upload new source code, the tool automatically updates your PPA. The service is free for open-source projects, and you retain complete control of your PPA. Disk space allotment is 2 Gb, with more available upon request.

For full information, check out the Packaging/PPA https://help.launchpad.net/ section of Launchpad Help.

inoculate128

Unread post by inoculate128 » 2014-06-13, 03:43

Someone has already set up a working PPA and is testing it now. Here's the link:
https://launchpad.net/~marian.kadanka/+archive/testing

I just installed it through Synaptic, and it appears to work fine. Version has not yet been updated to 24.6.0, though.

cyansmoker

Unread post by cyansmoker » 2014-06-13, 07:05

Beware of unknown sources!

I suspect whomever maintains that PPA is a perfectly legit individual but I would be more comfortable if I heard that this person is known to MoonChild or a2g.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-13, 07:45

cyansmoker wrote:Beware of unknown sources!

I suspect whomever maintains that PPA is a perfectly legit individual but I would be more comfortable if I heard that this person is known to MoonChild or a2g.
There has been no communication with me about this, so you should not consider that PPA an official source. If you want to redistribute a re-packaged version as official, you must get in touch with me, see also the Pale moon redistribution license http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml -- I've had to do this to prevent "hacked" versions with all sorts of unwanted added software in it.

So, please also verify with me if you want to add it to the Ubuntu archive. If it involves a simple repack, that's fine, but it must be communicated and OK'd.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-13, 10:08

Moonchild wrote:If it involves a simple repack, that's fine
The packages in the PPA seem to be a recompile instead of a repack BUT AFAIK the way Launchpad works is -- you upload the source tarball and have buildd build it on the server side, so that should make trojanisation more difficult. I didn't diff the uploaded source archive (here it is) but from the palemoon_24.5.0-0~trusty1.debian.tar.gz file everything seems to be okay, just that they seem to be using a different set of .mozconfig options (including those not meant for Linux like -disable-activex-*).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-13, 10:27

access2godzilla wrote:
Moonchild wrote:If it involves a simple repack, that's fine
The packages in the PPA seem to be a recompile instead of a repack BUT AFAIK the way Launchpad works is -- you upload the source tarball and have buildd build it on the server side, so that should make trojanisation more difficult. I didn't diff the uploaded source archive (here it is) but from the palemoon_24.5.0-0~trusty1.debian.tar.gz file everything seems to be okay, just that they seem to be using a different set of .mozconfig options (including those not meant for Linux like -disable-activex-*).
So, the server would automagically know which build toolset is needed?...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite