[Solved] PM for Linux Closes When Clicking on Drop Down Menu

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
drbellerive

Re: [Solved] PM for Linux Closes When Clicking on Drop Down

Unread post by drbellerive » 2014-06-04, 05:32

Blue Systems makes a Linux distribution, Netrunner, and has made a Firefox-KDE package the integrates Firefox better into KDE. They also work on a project, kde-gtk-config. I wonder if there might be something in their work that might help with this problem. Perhaps the maintainers of PM for Linux might contact Blue Systems and see if they can offer any assistance. http://www.blue-systems.com/

drbellerive

Unread post by drbellerive » 2014-06-06, 23:54

There is also a workaround that just changes the gtk theme for Pale Moon.

Run palemoon with this command:
GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/QtCurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc palemoon

You can use whatever theme you prefer in place of QtCurve.

Edit the KDE menu and change the command line for the Pale Moon menu item to this command.

Seems to work well and leaves the other gtk applications using the theme set in System Settings.

Darrell

wayne128

Unread post by wayne128 » 2014-06-07, 04:21

drbellerive wrote:There is also a workaround that just changes the gtk theme for Pale Moon.

Run palemoon with this command:
GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/QtCurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc palemoon

You can use whatever theme you prefer in place of QtCurve.

Edit the KDE menu and change the command line for the Pale Moon menu item to this command.

Seems to work well and leaves the other gtk applications using the theme set in System Settings.

Darrell

Hi Darrell

Thank you for your post.

I just tested with netrunner, rolling release, based on Arch and it is KDE.
wayne@netrunner ~]$ uname -a
Linux netrunner 3.10.37-1-MANJARO #1 SMP Mon Apr 14 22:38:53 UTC 2014 i686 GNU/Linux
[wayne@netrunner ~]$
and Palemoon Linux version 24.6.0 installed without a problem,
but it will disappear when i left click on pulling down menu ..or right click somewhere.

Your code on terminal worked.

drbellerive

Unread post by drbellerive » 2014-06-13, 06:38

wayne128 wrote: I just tested with netrunner, rolling release, based on Arch and it is KDE.
Netrunner rolling is awesome; it is simlpy the finest distro I have ever used and I've been using linux since KDE was at version 1.0. Of course those who aren't fans of KDE won't find to be to their tastes. ;)

You can use that command in the KDE menu for Pale Moon as well. I added a %u at the end to allow other apps to send a url as a parameter. The command is:
GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/QtCurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc palemoon %u

I have also set the default browser in system settings --> default applications to "palemoon".

Netrunner preloads firefox when it is started. This can be disabled in System Settings --> Autostart by disabling the script:
/usr/share/netrunner-default-settings/preload.sh

There is also another method of starting palemoon with a different gtk theme outlined in this thread:
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... oxygen+gtk
I haven't tried it yet, but it may be a better way to workaround the bug.

I do hope someone in the know can make palemoon and oxygen-gtk play nice.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-02, 21:48

Any chance this GTK issue will be fixed in a future version of PM4Linux, so it will run properly with any distro, without the need for a workaround?
(As long as this isn't fixed, it's kind of hard to recommend PM4Linux to others... :( )
Last edited by Antonius32 on 2014-07-03, 19:35, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-02, 22:20

Well, it's something that is a problem with the underlying Firefox code, and which is apparently considered critical, but not track-worthy because of the small user segment it impacts? There hasn't been any research as to cause so far. See bug #985986. Might want to CC and Vote on that bug if you want to poke the developers @Mozilla versed in that part of the code to have a look at it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-02, 23:26

Moonchild wrote:Might want to CC and Vote on that bug if you want to poke the developers @Mozilla versed in that part of the code to have a look at it.
Alright, I will do that, but I doubt whether one more vote will make it a priority to the developers..