Debian, PM and Gstreamer

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
troypulk

Debian, PM and Gstreamer

Unread post by troypulk » 2016-08-23, 00:53

Using PM 26.4.0 my H.264/MP4 video's worked.

Using PM 26.4.0.1 my H.264/MP4 video's didn't work because PM went back to gstreamer0.10

So I downgraded back to 26.4.0

So if anyone is using Debian and/or Testing be warned that your H.264/MP4 video's may not work.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Debian, PM and Gstreamer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-08-23, 00:57

You will need the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg (or equivalent) package for H.264 video to work.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2016-08-23, 03:28

I have gstreamer1.0-libav it's the same thing just renamed.

This works for 26.4.0, are you saying that gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg is required for 26.4.0.1?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-23, 03:41

How is 1.0 the same as 0.10?

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2016-08-23, 04:04

It's the same file they just changed it to 1.0 and named it libav at lease according to my distro dev.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-23, 04:08

If true.. that is totally insane... I am very surprised any of it worked.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-08-23, 04:16

troypulk wrote:It's the same file they just changed it to 1.0 and named it libav at lease according to my distro dev.
This is exactly the case. gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg was renamed to gstreamer-libav for the 1.0 release.
troypulk wrote:are you saying that gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg is required for 26.4.0.1?
In order to play H.264 videos, yes it is for 26.4.0.1 and future releases (at least for a while).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-23, 05:22

But 1.0 != 0.10 in implimentation.. I assume there are differences.. Refactoring, New Features, New enhancements, and of course new bugs.. So saying 1.0 is the same as 0.10 I think would not be correct.. and as you just pointed out.. Compiling with 0.10 won't allow 1.0 to work and vice versa..

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2016-08-23, 13:42

Since Debian got rid of gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg a few years ago and adopted libav there has been issues like this because not every is using libav while some do.

Debian is bring back gstreamer-ffmpeg so maybe they will work with all platforms.

Plus gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg hasn't been updated in years, it's just a cross over file between gstreamer and ffmpeg.

plonkomat

Unread post by plonkomat » 2016-08-23, 20:00

I cannot watch H.264 videos now! All the time everything worked fine, so what should i do now??? Ubuntu 16.04. PM 26.4.0.1

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-08-23, 22:10

OK...is the source code going to be available soon? I can switch all the build-depends, depends, and build-config back to the 0.10 gstreamer for my OBS repository.

This is gonna be a headache for upstream Debian and any Ubuntu newer than Wily, since gstreamer0.10 has been removed. Which videos caused trouble for 26.4.0? I'd like to test them with the MX 15 build.

Edit: The MX 15 or Debian Jessie OBS 26.4.0 build doesn't seem to crash like those reported on other distros, would it be OK to stick with gstreamer1.0 for those builds? I have no information from anyone using the OBS builds on Ubuntu either way, though. :wtf:

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2016-08-24, 04:12

plonkomat wrote:I cannot watch H.264 videos now! All the time everything worked fine, so what should i do now??? Ubuntu 16.04. PM 26.4.0.1
You can try media.gstreamer.enable-blacklist > false in about:config

if that does not work you can downgrade back to 26.4.0

plonkomat

Unread post by plonkomat » 2016-08-24, 04:46

troypulk wrote:
plonkomat wrote:I cannot watch H.264 videos now! All the time everything worked fine, so what should i do now??? Ubuntu 16.04. PM 26.4.0.1
You can try media.gstreamer.enable-blacklist > false in about:config

if that does not work you can downgrade back to 26.4.0
I read in viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12885#p91065 that an exception is not possible. I tried it though, didn't work. Downgrade didn't work either and shouldn't be the solution, should it? I started the PM installer, where I can update PM, but I am told, that I have already the latest version.

Yesterday I was forced to use Firefox again for H264. Very annoying, without my preferences, without adblock, .....

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-08-24, 06:24

trava90 wrote:You will need the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg (or equivalent) package for H.264 video to work.
:thumbdown: Is that just Debian or all linuxes? Does it apply to builds from source code, or can you still specify...

Code: Select all

ac_add_options --enable-gstreamer=1.0
What about Tycho? Has it regressed too? BTW, doing some highly unofficial (and probably frowned upon) stuff in Tycho, I'm able to get the following, which I want to hang on to...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-08-24, 08:00

Please see my earlier post in this thread. You need the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg package for H.264 video.
stevepusser wrote:OK...is the source code going to be available soon? I can switch all the build-depends, depends, and build-config back to the 0.10 gstreamer for my OBS repository.

This is gonna be a headache for upstream Debian and any Ubuntu newer than Wily, since gstreamer0.10 has been removed. Which videos caused trouble for 26.4.0? I'd like to test them with the MX 15 build.

Edit: The MX 15 or Debian Jessie OBS 26.4.0 build doesn't seem to crash like those reported on other distros, would it be OK to stick with gstreamer1.0 for those builds? I have no information from anyone using the OBS builds on Ubuntu either way, though. :wtf:
Steve, the release hasn't been tagged in the repo, but you can build from the 26.4_RelBranch. I'd prefer to keep all the Linux releases uniform if possible. There are several threads on the Linux board listing crashy videos you can test with.
Walter Dnes wrote::thumbdown: Is that just Debian or all linuxes? Does it apply to builds from source code, or can you still specify...

Code: Select all
ac_add_options --enable-gstreamer=1.0
Many Linuxes still have GStreamer 0.10 packages available. Yes, you can continue building with --enable-gstreamer=1.0.
Walter Dnes wrote:What about Tycho? Has it regressed too?
Tycho appears to be more stable than Pale Moon 26, but is still affected.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-24, 11:02

stevepusser wrote:OK...is the source code going to be available soon? I can switch all the build-depends, depends, and build-config back to the 0.10 gstreamer for my OBS repository.
Sorry for the delay in tagging the source repo. Tags have been added on the commits used for 26.4.0.1.

As for the whole gstreamer deal: neither of the two choices is going to be perfect. This is unfortunately a typical issue with Linux.
GStreamer 1.0 works flawlessly for some distros, but causes crashes/segfaults on a good number of them.
GStreamer 0.10 works without these crashes but requires more involved setups by the user to have compatible packages installed.

Since crashing is always worse than something simply not working, we've chosen to revert to 0.10 in our release builds.
If you are a maintainer of a distro-specific package and you know for a fact that 1.0 works without crashes for your distro, then you should build your own binaries with GStreamer 1.0 support using the proper configure flags and redistribute those binaries for your distro specifically (official branding is allowed in this case).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-08-24, 12:12

stevepusser wrote:This is gonna be a headache for upstream Debian and any Ubuntu newer than Wily, since gstreamer0.10 has been removed.
FWIW, A PPA containing gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg for newer *buntus is located here and has been reported to work with Ubuntu 16.04.

plonkomat

Unread post by plonkomat » 2016-08-24, 18:08

trava90 wrote:
Please see my earlier post in this thread. You need the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg package for H.264 video.
Could You mention in detail, which package I should install? The gstreamer1.0-libav is installed for a long time already.
Please see screenshot
asasas.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by trava90 on 2016-08-24, 21:39, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please don't quote whole posts unless it's short and all relevant

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-08-24, 19:36

For the time-being, 26.4.0 will suffice for linux users who want the Gstreamer 1.x version. I'm working on the latest iteration of my generic Pale-Moon-for-linux build environment. It takes 45 minutes to build x64 natively, and 90 minutes to build x32 in a VM. I could do a "Gstreamer 1.x contributed build", if it helps, if Tycho isn't the answer.

With a 1-line tweak, I can tell it to build for any supported Intel/AMD or clone CPU listed in https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.9. ... 64-Options Some of the lower-end CPUs may not be supported by the source code, but that's a different matter. What CPU does linux Pale Moon regularly taget? E.g., Core2?

I'm willing to modify my mozconfig, but I'm reluctant to install additional stuff on my computer like pulseaudio, dbus-glib, etc, in order to be able to build in support for them.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-08-24, 20:11

Yeah, for the Debian 8 gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, I built the package quite a while ago to let Miro use it: http://main.mepis-deb.org/mx/repo/pool/ ... 10-ffmpeg/ It should work fine on vanilla Debian.

This differs from the regular Debian version in that it uses an internal build of ffmpeg instead of just linking to the system libav* libraries. It's a lot fatter and takes a lot longer to build, but avoids any of the well-known problems that can occur with the system versions when they get changed (see deb-multimedia). I tested the OBS Debian 7 Wheezy version with the gstreamer1.0 from wheezy-backports, and it also seems to be free from the crashing problem--I guess I'll have to split the OBS into separate Debian (1.0) and Ubuntu repositories (0.10).