aliased fonts

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
marsup

aliased fonts

Unread post by marsup » 2016-08-10, 08:01

Hi,

I just installed Pale Moon from the Manjaro community repos.

I am having an issue with font aliasing on certain sites (including this very forum) which does not occur with firefox (see attached picture)

I have been comparing both about:config and they look about the same, concerning gfx.font..

Any idea ?

Cheers
Attachments
ff-pmZoomee.png

marsup

Re: aliased fonts

Unread post by marsup » 2016-08-11, 06:35

So I found a partial fix, and posted about it here on the distro forum.

Essentially, the gist is as follows :
  • the core of the problem is that some fonts on my system [are not rendered correctly by whatever linux thing is supposed to display them (?) and thus] look awful
  • some of these are used as fallbacks by Pale Moon, and not by Firefox, for some reason
  • my fix is to disable those fonts on my system, and the problem no longer occurs.
Cheers,
Last edited by marsup on 2016-08-13, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

themew

Unread post by themew » 2016-08-11, 16:07

Had the exact same issue in Manjaro due to gsfonts update that made my fonts unreadable since everything now falls back to the new horrible looking Nimbus OTF fonts.

Go to etc/fonts/conf.d/30metricaliases.conf and rename or remove the file.

Removed all the alias font issues and now fonts are back to normal and never looked better.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-11, 16:08

So is this a problem with the browser or not? Seems like it is just some distros getting inferior versions of fonts that don't play well in some circumstances.

themew

Unread post by themew » 2016-08-11, 17:04

Matt - it's a distro issue with gsfonts that was updated on Manjaro last weekend. Doesn't affect Chrome but on Manjaro and Arch is had horrible results with FF an PM.

My fix above takes care of FF and PM -- in fact, PM has never resolved fonts better on Manjaro since the alias file was removed (in my opinion) :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-12, 07:58

Off-topic:
A good demonstration of why providing software support on Linux can be trying - it's difficult to determine whether something is caused by our code or not...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite