Constant Crashes when opening facebook.com

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Jeannie

Constant Crashes when opening facebook.com

Unread post by Jeannie » 2016-08-07, 09:47

So, I am facing a strange problem with Palemoon. When I visit facebook.com , Palemoon more or less immediately segfaults and crashes to desktop.
This onky happens on Facebook, all other sites work.
I can't provide any more information, as the only terminal output before it crashes is Segfault (Core dumped).
My system specs:
Manaro Linux 64 bit
Desktop Environment: Mate 1.14 GTK2
Pale Moon Version 26.3.3
Intel i7 2nd gen
Nvidia GTX 570m non optimus
16 GB of Ram.
I am not using the oxygen-gtk2 theme
I have tried the binary from my distros repository as well as a version I directly downloaded from linux.palemoon.org, both show the same crahses.
It also does not matter if I run in safe mode or with enabled addons, nor does a fresh user profile change the crash behaviour, the browser crashes reliably a few seconds after I go to the facebook site.
For the moment, I have downgraded Pale Moon to Version 25.8.1. In this version, the crashes do not occur.
Any ideas how to fix this problem are highly appreciated.
J.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Constant Crashes when opening facebook.com

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-07, 11:40

Jeannie wrote:I can't provide any more information, as the only terminal output before it crashes is Segfault (Core dumped).
That's going to make it very difficult to find the cause of it. Maybe someone more familiar with debugging on Linux can help gathering more information.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-08-07, 23:04

Hmm. I can't reproduce with 26.3.3. Been browsing for a while, looking at pictures, videos, etc. with no crashes.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-08, 01:16

trava90 wrote:Hmm. I can't reproduce with 26.3.3. Been browsing for a while, looking at pictures, videos, etc. with no crashes.
I can't either on fedora based distros but many users of Arch and Slackware based distros have been reporting crashes at odd times such as this one. It is worth investigating and if possible find a solution. Like Moonchild, I am not very familiar with linux debugging, least not yet. So please take a closer look at this.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-08-08, 03:44

I tried reproducing on my Manjaro x64 system with a new profile. It works fine for me; no crashes, terminal messages, anything. :think: I'll keep trying to reproduce the problem.

Jeannie, is there anything "non-standard'" about your system?

Jeannie

Unread post by Jeannie » 2016-08-08, 17:36

Define "Non Standard". I am on the unstable branch (which corresponds more or less to Arch stable). Besides that, nothing unusual here.
J.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-08-08, 18:10

"Non-standard" meaning anything out of the ordinary. Apart from me using the stable branch, there shouldn't be much difference between our systems.

I'll try setting up a Manjaro unstable in a VM and see if I can reproduce.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-08-09, 01:58

I have tried Pale Moon 26.3.3 (using a new profile) on Manjaro stable, Manjaro testing, and Linux Mint 18. I've not experienced one crash or terminal message while browsing Facebook on any of those systems.

BazBear

Unread post by BazBear » 2016-08-09, 04:38

For what it's worth, FB is working fine with PM 26.3.3 on my Lubuntu 16.04.1 x64 system.

Jeannie

Unread post by Jeannie » 2016-08-12, 13:17

Update: The crashes now also occur on other websites.
Here's a link that reliably crashes my Pale Moon whenever I open it
http://de.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=23rwxo1&s=5
Here's the terminal output:

Code: Select all

[jeannie@Manjaro ~]$ palemoon
Vector smash protection is enabled.
###!!! ABORT: X_ShmPutImage: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes); 4 requests ago: file /home/palemoon/PaleMoon/pmsrc/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 145
###!!! ABORT: X_ShmPutImage: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes); 4 requests ago: file /home/palemoon/PaleMoon/pmsrc/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 145
Segmentation fault (Core dumped)
Hope this helps
J.
Last edited by Jeannie on 2016-08-13, 15:00, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Decoded link and added pastebin log

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-08-13, 04:33

Still no crashes for me when visiting the link provided.

The pastebin link says "Page Removed". Can you please post the terminal output on the forum?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-13, 15:01

This has been reported before.. viewtopic.php?t=8120

This could still be related to oxygen. The general fix for oxygen hasn't ever been uplifted to a release targeting GTK2 applications. Make sure oxygen isn't selected as the GTK2 theme. Beyond that.. I dunno but this seems to be targeting those edge distros like PCLinuxOS, Arch, etc Likely if using KDE at all.

Firefox bypassed it by stopping using GTK2 all together.

Travis, the code it is reporting failure seems to be here: http://xref.palemoon.org/palemoon-trunk/source/widget/shared/nsShmImage.cpp#110

Jeannie

Unread post by Jeannie » 2016-08-14, 14:24

The oxygen-gtk2 theme is not even installed on my system which uses MATE as desktop.
And the link that crashes my Palemoon has not been removed, there's a warning it might contain "explicit content".
It shows extremely explicit content indeed, a damaged displayport of a laptop actually.
J.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-08-14, 18:05

Jeannie wrote:And the link that crashes my Palemoon has not been removed, there's a warning it might contain "explicit content".
It shows extremely explicit content indeed, a damaged displayport of a laptop actually.

Your link brings up this:
tinyPic.png
Looks like it ran afoul of a "safety" plugin recently installed in the forum. Announced here: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12757.

Jeannie

Unread post by Jeannie » 2016-08-14, 18:58

And if you click on the "open anway" button, it will bring you to the page that reliably crashes my browser, an image of a damaged display port of a laptop,
J.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-14, 19:14

coffeebreak wrote: Your link brings up this:
See: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12757

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-08-14, 19:41

Looks like you didn't read my entire post, which also said:
coffeebreak wrote:Looks like it ran afoul of a "safety" plugin recently installed in the forum. Announced here: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12757.

Unread post by 65432 » 2016-08-20, 20:56

I have the same problem. When I open facebook.com or following link: http://www.golem.de/news/xfel-riesenkamera-nimmt-filme-von-atomen-auf-1608-122722.html, my browser crashes instantly. I have the problem since today, with both versions 26.3.3 and 26.4.0. My OS: Debian jessie 64bit, with Mate Desktop.