can't get userChrome to darken new tab background Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jyrki

can't get userChrome to darken new tab background

Unread post by jyrki » 2016-07-24, 16:58

Hi all

So I'm new to palemoon. I've got nothing to bitch about it, and everything is just swell. But I'd like to ask if there's a userChrome expert around willing to give my 'issue' a go.

I do have a sensitivity to brightness coming from a screen. Hardly surprising as after 30 years staring at it, day in day out, that what you get. Anyways, I use stylish (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/) nowadays to darken everything. But there's one thing that I've not managed to make dark: the new tab. Blindingly white! and it sears into my eyes everytime.

After a bit of research, apparently I need to put something along the lines of:

#newtab-window {
background-color: #000000 !important;
}

into ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon/4gp4bgdl.personal/chrome/userChrome.css

And after a bunch of iterations / edits / changes, I can't get the new tab page background dark.

Any help / pointers appreciated!

Be happy

Operating system: arch linux x64
Browser version: 26.3.0 (x64)
Theme: https://addons.palemoon.org/themes/complete/darkmoon/
Installed add-ons:
stylish, ublock origin, flashblock and a bunch of other stuff to try fruitlessly protect my privacy
Installed plugins: (about:plugins)
Google Talk Plugin Video Renderer
Google Talk Plugin
Shockwave Flash
IcedTea-Web Plugin (using IcedTea-Web 1.6.2)

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: can't get userChrome to darken new tab background

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-07-24, 20:41

Do you mean the new tab page itself? You can try the following (assuming you're using "blank page", the Quickdial page itself should be dark already):

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url("about:logopage") {
  body {
    background: rgb(50,50,50) !important;
  }
}
You can enter this either into Stylish or userContent.css.

I'd darken it in the theme itself, but unfortunately this isn't possible within a theme.

jyrki

Unread post by jyrki » 2016-07-28, 07:53

That actually did it. thanks!
About the name of the file, for whatever reason I kept reading that in palemoon it's userChrome vs userContent on firefox.
nevermind...

Thank you!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-07-28, 10:58

The logo page is a content document (it's displayed as a web page in the content area with a normal URL) so you need userContent.css for that particular one. This is the same as in Firefox.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite