Crash with html5 video vithout root (ITSELF CLOSED)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
vlad1777d

Crash with html5 video vithout root (ITSELF CLOSED)

Unread post by vlad1777d » 2016-07-20, 19:33

Hello dear friends.

If I run Pale Moon without sudo (superuser rights), than it crashes when html5 video opens (I have not flash player at all).
The window with video opens, progress bar in it runs, but just before starting to play video, the Pale Moon 26.3.3 x64 crashes.
In terminal is written:

Code: Select all

vlad@deb:~/Programs/pale-moon-stable$ '/home/vlad/Programs/pale-moon-stable/palemoon' 
Аварийный останов
vlad@deb:
(i do not installed Russian locale to browser, but it's installed in the system)
(added later. It also crashes when .gif files are opened in vk.com (social network). There .gif files have play button, just like videos)

The output for this error in version 27 alpha 1:

vlad@deb:~$ '/home/vlad/Programs/palemoon-27-alpha-1/palemoon' 
A coding exception was thrown in a Promise resolution callback.
See https://developer.mozilla.org/Mozilla/JavaScript_code_modules/Promise.jsm/Promise

Full message: ReferenceError: ScratchpadManager is not defined
Full stack: ssi_restoreWindow@resource:///modules/sessionstore/SessionStore.jsm:2765:7
ssi_onLoad@resource:///modules/sessionstore/SessionStore.jsm:710:1
ssi_initWindow@resource:///modules/sessionstore/SessionStore.jsm:497:7
onSuccess@resource:///modules/sessionstore/SessionStore.jsm:519:9
Handler.prototype.process@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:867:23
this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:746:7
this.PromiseWalker.scheduleWalkerLoop/<@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:688:37

** (palemoon:14653): CRITICAL **: gst_app_src_set_size: assertion 'GST_IS_APP_SRC (appsrc)' failed

** (palemoon:14653): CRITICAL **: gst_app_src_set_size: assertion 'GST_IS_APP_SRC (appsrc)' failed
Аварийный останов
My system: Debian x64 unstable;
browser: Pale Moon 26.3.3 x64; no addons are installed (I just downloaded Pale Moon from website)
My hardware:

Acer M3910 (motherboard: Intel® H57 Express Chipset)
RAM: 8 gb DDR3
CPU: Intel i3 540
Videocard: Nvidia GT 630 (driver is from Nvidia too)
HDD: 320 gB Hitachi sata HDD, 1500 gB Seagate Barracuda sata HDD
I could use it with sudo command, but then it runs from root user, but all my themes (gtk, browser theme), bookmarks and other is in my general user's home folder.
I liked this browser more than FIrefox because of more comfortable interface, so if you help me - I'll be grad.

Thank you.
Last edited by vlad1777d on 2016-08-06, 15:29, edited 3 times in total.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: Crash with htm5 video vithout root

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-07-23, 18:33

Yeah, you'd have to be nuts to run a browser as sudo, anyway. The Debian packages I build for Jessie don't do that on my system--could you try one of those and see if they do the same thing?

vlad1777d

Unread post by vlad1777d » 2016-07-27, 09:02

stevepusser wrote:Yeah, you'd have to be nuts to run a browser as sudo, anyway. The Debian packages I build for Jessie don't do that on my system--could you try one of those and see if they do the same thing?
Yes, of course. Where to download your packages?

vlad1777d

Unread post by vlad1777d » 2016-07-27, 22:53

The output for this error in version 27 alpha 1:

vlad@deb:~$ '/home/vlad/Programs/palemoon-27-alpha-1/palemoon' 
A coding exception was thrown in a Promise resolution callback.
See https://developer.mozilla.org/Mozilla/JavaScript_code_modules/Promise.jsm/Promise

Full message: ReferenceError: ScratchpadManager is not defined
Full stack: ssi_restoreWindow@resource:///modules/sessionstore/SessionStore.jsm:2765:7
ssi_onLoad@resource:///modules/sessionstore/SessionStore.jsm:710:1
ssi_initWindow@resource:///modules/sessionstore/SessionStore.jsm:497:7
onSuccess@resource:///modules/sessionstore/SessionStore.jsm:519:9
Handler.prototype.process@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:867:23
this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:746:7
this.PromiseWalker.scheduleWalkerLoop/<@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:688:37

Аварийный останов

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-28, 09:28

The promise fail error is irrelevant.. Because there is no devtools currently in Tycho there is no scratchpad.

Also, can you reproduce the error in actual supported versions of Pale Moon? ie 26.3.3?

But THIS error..

The gst error is an error in gstreamer not Pale Moon. Seems to happen with bad file streams.. Basically, gstreamer fails when certain corrupt media files are sent through it. Disable gstreamer in about:config to work around the issue.

Travis.. Is there any way you can maybe detect bad file streams so they aren't sent to gst? I think we did something like for vpx.. We may not be able to do this for a module we don't have in-tree.. But I would like to know.

vlad1777d

Unread post by vlad1777d » 2016-07-28, 11:03

Matt A Tobin wrote:ou reproduce the error in actual supported versions of Pale Moon? ie 26.3.3?
Yes, I wrote the output from terminal into the first message in this theme. There only is written (if to translate from Russian into English): "emergency stop" and I don't know how it sounded in original English translation.
I didn't installed Russian localization of Pale Moon, it wrote so itself =)

If to run with sudo or from root user both versions of Pale Moon (alpha and stable), it works fine.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-28, 12:15

That is very odd... But it is a recognized an unresolved issue with gstreamer.. UMM what version of gstreamer and what distro?

As an aside.. I don't think locales affect console messages..

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2016-07-28, 16:24

Is it possible that vlad1777d installed Pale Moon as ROOT, if so it might not work right using the user login?

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-07-28, 18:37

The deb packages from the OBS Pale Moon builds install it as root, like all deb packages, and it seems not to have this issue.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-07-28, 19:51

Shot in the dark but: maybe there's a rights issue on e.g. gstreamer or other media packages so that Pale Moon can't call into the required libs?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vlad1777d

Unread post by vlad1777d » 2016-07-29, 15:38

Moonchild wrote:Shot in the dark but: maybe there's a rights issue on e.g. gstreamer or other media packages so that Pale Moon can't call into the required libs?
I thought so all the time. Because with root all is ok, so at that time there were no errors.
troypulk wrote:Is it possible that vlad1777d installed Pale Moon as ROOT, if so it might not work right using the user login?
No, I installed it as general user.
stevepusser wrote:The deb packages from the OBS Pale Moon builds install it as root, like all deb packages, and it seems not to have this issue.
I don't installed .deb files (it's not very convenient for me), I downloaded tar.gz archive and unpacked it into the '/home/vlad/Programs/palemoon-stable' folder (just like I made with Firefox Developer Edition), but Firefox works correctly and Pale Moon Crashes.

I checked: all files in the Pale Moon folder have all levels of access (read\write\execute for user, group and all other).
Matt A Tobin wrote:what version of gstreamer and what distro?.
Debian unstable x64.
gstreamer0.10-x: 0.10.36-2
gstreamer1.0-x: 1.8.2-1
libgstreamer0.10-0: 0.10.36-1.5
libgstreamer1.0-0: 1.8.2-1

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2016-07-30, 05:20

It looks like the same problem I had, with media.gstreamer.enabled set to True it would crash playing HTML5/MP4 videos, when it was set to false it worked.

The problem was that my solydX 64bit had two different gstreamer files installed, 0.10 and 1.0, and gst 1.6 and 1.8 when all versions were updated to 1.0 and 1.8 video's stopped crashing.

vlad1777d

Unread post by vlad1777d » 2016-07-31, 19:19

stevepusser wrote:deb packages from the OBS Pale Moon builds
Where to download them? Because this crashing in Pale Moon tired me, Firefox stable has bug with disappearing connection and Firefox Developer Edition is too slow.

vlad1777d

Re: Crash with htm5 video vithout root (ITSELF CLOSED)

Unread post by vlad1777d » 2016-08-06, 15:29

After one of system updates this bug had gone.
Now I can watch video through it.

Thanks to all.