High Cpu while using some Facebook pages

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
AaronSG

High Cpu while using some Facebook pages

Unread post by AaronSG » 2016-07-13, 06:49

Hello everybody,
I speak spanish, so sorry if i spell something wrong..
I have been using palemoon for a couple of years now and i love it.. Love the smart people in the forum, i have never needed to post, because there is always somebody smart that answers any question in no time..
This is my first question here. I tried with all my heart and mind for a solution , but found nothing.

While using Palemoon in Linux x86, HP compaq nx6310, CoreDuo t2300, 4gb Ram, gm945 chipset, 5400 HDD, Xubuntu 14.04.4,
And Only... in some facebook pages: The cpu goes to 100% and stays there... e.g. The page of Jone Jones in facebook.. and scoll a little, inmediately the cpu goes to the top and stays there until i close the tab. Or any facebook page with lots of videos.

If i set in about:config media.gstreamer to false, the problem doesn't ocurr.. buy i lose video in other pages..
Everything else is Perfect, and i mean perfect... I haven´t had a crash in 2 years, not a single one... So i am happy with the browser. I ditched Chrome and firefox a long time ago and have never needed either one of them.

I use palemoon 26.3.3 but the problem has been happening since the change to goanna.
I use Latitude, Open with and Newtab tools, but the problem also happens with no extensions or a clean profile.
It also happens in my atom netbook, hp mini, and in another laptop whith a core2duo cpu and x3100 graphics.

I Appreciate any answer and
This browser is really AWESOME. Makes this old laptop feel like an i7 notebook... so it is something special.

Thanks
Aaron Solares.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: High Cpu while using some Facebook pages

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-07-13, 19:05

AaronSG wrote:If i set in about:config media.gstreamer to false, the problem doesn't ocurr.. buy i lose video in other pages.. Everything else is Perfect, and i mean perfect... I haven´t had a crash in 2 years, not a single one... So i am happy with the browser. I ditched Chrome and firefox a long time ago and have never needed either one of them.
My settings against HTML5-autoplaying are...
  1. media.gstreamer.enabled; true
  2. media.autoplay.allowscripted; false
  3. media.autoplay.enabled; false
This prevents autoplaying. When you see an HTML5 video that you want to play, you need to click on it. In some cases, like Youtube, I need to click on it 2 or 3 times to get it to play.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

AaronSG

Unread post by AaronSG » 2016-08-23, 13:07

Sorry for the late answer,
The thing is every video works ok.. no autoplay, everything perfect.. except some pages with video that taxes the cpu.. so no need to tweak those adjustments i think.. Only media.gstreamer.enabled until now ( to false )
Appreciate your answer. Still cpu goes to 100% in some pages.. Specially FB, when there is video, or when i deploy the comments in some post..

BUT i will try the today release for linux only, that uses another gstreamer version, and update in a few hours, after work.
I really hope Moonchild Realizes the REALLY good browser he has created ( with his team of course )
Really good software,
Way lighter than firefox, snappy, simple but full of features, im really impressed. And most of the extensions work
perfect for me. Flash video Downloader, Newtab tools, Noscript ( no need really ), Adblock Latitude or Ublock Origin... Its really good.
Will see if this update fixes that little problem.
Like i said earlier, In one year or something like that, I have never had a crash with Palemoon, not a single one.
With FF, I have. Oh and Sync has been perfect until now. With this Core 2 Duo, it flies and load large pages like http://dailymail.co.uk/ ( wich is heavy ) like its nothing.

Thanks for your answer.
Until later....
Aaron.

AaronSG

Unread post by AaronSG » 2016-10-06, 20:49

problem still persists in new update of Palemoon...
Maybe this can shed some light... and maybe somebody with experience can help me with this...

When scrolling any page on facebook; As long as video thumbnails are visible on the screen, the cpu goes way up...
The moment the video thumbnails are out of view, the cpu goes down again... to normal.
Some times the cpu locks at 100%, and only a kill in the task manager takes the browser down...

The thumbnails appear in the status bar as "Video_Sources=pages_finch_thumbnail_video"

This problem happens with gstreamer either set to false or true...
And happens also in a new profile.. with or without extensions...
It Does Not happen in firefox, Chrome, Chromium or Opera.

So far it is the ONLY PROBLEM i have encountered in the browser. Im really happy with it, but i hate going to the mobile site of facebook just to avoid a drastic rise in cpu temperature.. And some general lag in the system, because the extra load.
Again; The computer is Core Duo , 4 gb RAM, plenty of power for Xubuntu 14.04 up to date.

i Will Appreciate any; ANY help..
Aaron.

AaronSG

Unread post by AaronSG » 2016-10-10, 00:22

Somebody..!!!
Please...
I'd really like to keep using Palemoon, but I use Facebook a lot.. and I don't like the sudden spikes in CPU...
Please;
Help...!!!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-10, 09:38

OMG!!! There's a problem and it's not addressed immediately! How dare we!

Seriously though, please, calm down. Its not good for your blood pressure.
High CPU usage on one site in Linux (and probably only in particular flavors of linux with particular hardware/drivers) isn't exactly a blocking bug and it will take research to understand first what's going on, second why, third what a potential solution might be and fourth actually getting to an implementation.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

AaronSG

Unread post by AaronSG » 2016-10-22, 21:27

No high blood pressure jaja, sorry..
its just that it has been 3 months since i asked... plus the lenguage barrier. I speak and write in spanish, so sorry if it seemed like pressure.

Ok. I will test with some other distros in live session with all possible combinations of gstreamer packages and report back.
As i said... Everything in the browser is Perfect.. Even the extensions that are supposedly unsupported; keep working. FVD, and others.
Im Perfectly happy with the Tec. behind Your browser.
Its in Very Very rare ocassion that it happens, and just changing media.gstreamer to false fixes it when it happens. (0.5% of the time and only in some facebook pages ) Im pretty sure its some combination like you said; between the distro..hardware and generic linux drivers for this old computer.
Appreciate your answer As i know you are the creator of this Browser..¡¡
Here in Central America at my office Everybody uses Palemoon and almost anybody uses firefox any more, because it really is better. I mean it.
I will report back when tested with other distros and thanks for keeping the 32bit build for some more time.

Aaron.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2016-11-02, 02:53

For the past week I've had Facebook peg Pale Moon for 100% of a single CPU core during the first load of any Facebook page. Eventually Pale Moon recovers and acts normal after ~30 seconds. Subsequent FB page loads (new tabs or otherwise) load normally.

I'm not sure it's related to this thread. Should I make a new one with more details?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-02, 10:54

BenFenner wrote:For the past week I've had Facebook peg Pale Moon for 100% of a single CPU core during the first load of any Facebook page. Eventually Pale Moon recovers and acts normal after ~30 seconds. Subsequent FB page loads (new tabs or otherwise) load normally.

I'm not sure it's related to this thread. Should I make a new one with more details?
I think it's an inherent issue with the way Facebook works. It sends an enormous amount of JavaScript to the browser - all this has to be compiled on-the-fly by the browser to work as fast as it does in execution and this takes processing power.
Subsequent loads would be just as slow and CPU heavy but Pale Moon caches the compiled scripts so it doesn't have to re-do compilation.

So, your issue is expected.
AaronSG wrote:Its in Very Very rare ocassion that it happens, and just changing media.gstreamer to false fixes it when it happens.
FYI: we are working on improving video handling on Linux - we hope to eventually be able to move away from GStreamer altogether, but in the meantime you'll have to work around it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite