Where can I change name of build file and executable? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Where can I change name of build file and executable?

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-07-07, 02:12

I build Pale Moon optimized for each of my machines, so the build for machine A will not necessarily run on machine B. Both my desktop and the "hot-backup" machine have output files named palemoon-26.3.3.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 which can cause confusion. I'm not looking to change version number, but rather to change the build name. A similar situation occurs with my 32-bit QEMU VM. It does 32-bit builds for both my Atom netbook, and a "native" version for the VM. The VM is the only place I have Flash installed, and I use it for those sites that absolutely must run Flash.

My question has 2 parts. I'd like to automatically change...
  1. the build files to come out like say pm_i6-26.3.3.en-us.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 and pm_atom-26.3.3.en-us.linux-i686.tar.bz2
  2. the executables to come out as pm_i6 and pm_atom
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Where can I change name of build file and executable?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-07, 03:08

Doesn't work like that. Also, Atom is only going to be a thing as long as Pale Moon 26.x is a thing. So it would be pointless to bother.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-07-07, 15:50

Matt A Tobin wrote:Doesn't work like that. Also, Atom is only going to be a thing as long as Pale Moon 26.x is a thing. So it would be pointless to bother.
I do a special build for my netbook because...
  1. it's the only physical 32-bit machine at home
  2. Atom CPUs have the "movbe" instruction, which other Intel (let alone AMD) CPUs do not. That's the reason that the linux Aom build won't run on non-Atom CPUs
The Windows "Atom build" does run on non-Atom CPUs, which implies that "movbe" is not being used in the Windows "Atom builds". That may be one reason that there was no noticable performance difference with "Atom builds".

This is not "Gentoo Ricer" territory. It's about getting an optimized build that runs half decently on my old netbook with 2 gigabytes of RAM. I've been doing special builds for my netbook for a while, rather than downloading the standard Atom build. I will continue to do special builds for my netbook even with v27 onwards. I pretty well have to do it in a 32-bit VM on my desktop. Doing it on the Atom takes almost 11 hours, with the CPU set to maximum speed, in text console mode, with no X running.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Andrew Gilbertson

Unread post by Andrew Gilbertson » 2016-07-07, 16:48

Why not just write a shell script that takes a single option, then uses that both to decide how to invoke the build script with appropriate options, and how to rename the output files once it's complete? That seems a lot more straightforward than trying to dig through all the build system's twists and turns to try to make it do something so simple.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-07-07, 20:28

AndyTheAbsurd wrote:Why not just write a shell script that takes a single option, then uses that both to decide how to invoke the build script with appropriate options, and how to rename the output files once it's complete? That seems a lot more straightforward than trying to dig through all the build system's twists and turns to try to make it do something so simple.
If there's an "official" way of doing things, I prefer that versus "an ugly hack", which can come back to bite you in the end sometimes.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-07, 20:38

The "official" way WOULD be an ugly hack in the build system and it WOULD come back and bite you.

We do not provide support for configurations outside of official ones as used by Moonchild Productions. Sorry, you are on your own.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-07-14, 22:42

I'm playing around with various adding options to the Tycho mozconfig.txt. I've found that...

Code: Select all

ac_add_options --with-app-name="palemoon_test"
results in building palemoon_test-27.0.0a1.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 and that the executable is called "palemoon_test", instead of "palemoon"..
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way