Flat icon problem & Hulu problem in Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Flat icon problem & Hulu problem in Linux

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-07-05, 21:51

I'm hoping someone here can help. So far I've gotten nothing on the Hulu problem in the Mint forums. After upgrading to Mint 18 I started getting this message in hulu (I get this same message in Firefox):
Untitled.jpg
I did solutions 2 and 3 but they didn't help. Anyone here know anything about this HAL [Hardware Abstraction Layer]? Is it safe to add this?

Now the icon problem. It is half solved but so far no help to get it all the way back to the way I like it. When opening files in most apps, the icons in the sidebar were the so-called "modern" butt-ugly type:
3.jpg
Some one on the Mint forums advised me to add a .css file to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/ with this in it:

Code: Select all

GtkFileChooserDialog GtkPlacesSidebar.sidebar {
   -gtk-icon-style: regular;
}
This changed the icons from flat to color, but they still have a "faded" look to them. Anyone know what needs to be added to the .css file to take away the faded look?

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: Flat icon problem & Hulu problem in Linux

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-07-07, 23:32

Your icon problem might be related to your icon theme in whatever desktop you're using; I don't think it has anything to do with PM, so should be a Mint forum issue. Sometime developers hard-code those "modern" icons into the applications, and there's not much you can do except try and change it yourself from the source code.

The hal package is deprecated on modern Linux distros, but you can get protected playback working in Ubuntu-based Mint by installing libhal1-flash to work around this: https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+a ... /hal-flash

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-07-08, 00:14

stevepusser wrote:The hal package is deprecated on modern Linux distros, but you can get protected playback working in Ubuntu-based Mint by installing libhal1-flash to work around this
Thanks!! I owe you a cold beer . . . it works! :thumbup:
stevepusser wrote:
Your icon problem might be related to your icon theme in whatever desktop you're using; I don't think it has anything to do with PM, so should be a Mint forum issue.
That's why I put this thread in General Discussion, but I see that a mod must have moved it to the PM for Linux board. I know it's not a Pale Moon problem (neither one). Mods, I think this should be moved back to General Discussion.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-07-08, 18:51

That's odd that nobody replied to the Hulu issue in the Mint forums. It's come up for the Debian-based distros I help with, so it was solved by porting over the libhal1-flash library packages to our own repositories (actually pretty easy to rebuild from source code once you get all the steps down, just like Pale Moon in the OBS repository), and that how I knew the answer.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-07-09, 22:12

stevepusser wrote:
That's odd that nobody replied to the Hulu issue in the Mint forums.
I think I know why. I just did a reinstall and saw that libhal1-flash is included in the installation (but I think it comes from the option during the install to download codecs, as I got the same error message during a live session). I uninstall a lot of stuff I don't use that comes with the install. Something I get rid of must also get rid of libhal1-flash.

I'm still looking for some help on my icon issue, if anyone can help with that. :thumbup: