Should I update or can I stay ?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
gillsman

Should I update or can I stay ?

Unread post by gillsman » 2016-06-28, 14:04

I was recently pleased to see the 26.3.0 update had among other things updated the user string agent to Firefox 45, but the latest 26.3.1 update has now put it back down to Firefox 38.9. Is it OK to stay with my current version until such time as the user string agent is reinstated to Firefox 45 or higher.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Should I update or can I stay ?

Unread post by adisib » 2016-06-28, 16:37

There have been no major changes or security updates since 26.3.0, so it would be fine for now. I wouldn't recommend sticking with an old version since security updates will come in time.

Instead, you can change your useragent yourself to be Firefox 45 on the newest PM version. Information on how to do so (on a per site basis) is in this post:
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6004

You can do it globally by setting "general.useragent.override" in about config, changing only the Firefox version from the user agent string given by:
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q=wh ... &ia=answer
However, I recommend you do it on a per-site basis instead as shown in the first link. There is a reason this change was reverted, and it could give you problems on some sites.

gillsman

Unread post by gillsman » 2016-06-28, 16:49

Many thanks for your reply.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-28, 21:30

Both Google (Google fonts) and Adobe (Typekit) serve on-line fonts with a system that is very fragile and useragent-dependent. If you stay with a version that has a global 45.9 UA, many thousands of sites will not display in the intended fonts and can have all sorts of colorful layout problems as a result. It's strongly recommended you don't stay on the 45.9-UA version and instead add overrides for the few sites that complain about "too old Firefox" that you happen to use.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite