How to update Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
gillsman

How to update Pale Moon

Unread post by gillsman » 2016-06-19, 16:17

I assume that as Pale Moon was not installed through the software manager it will not receive updates from the update manager as with all other updates. From what I gather I need to download the Pale Moon installer extract it & run the file in terminal then would I be right to assume that there will be an update option if available? my actual question is this ~ rather than keep going through this fairly lengthy procedure on a regular basis how can I check to see if an update is available, it's not a case of looking at the installer version because that is listed as version 0.2.2 & the browser is 26.2.2, so that gives no clue or am I missing something here.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: How to update Pale Moon

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-06-19, 16:54

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Take a look at this topic on the subject: How do I update Pale Moon?

Also there is a Pale Moon setting in "Options" > "Advanced" > "Update" tab where you can control how Pale Moon handles updates.
Pale Moon on Linux doesn't have an internal updater.

To the OP, yes, you do need to manually install each update by running the installer (or extracting the contents of each tarball to /opt/). The installer isn't always updated when Pale Moon is, though, so check the forums and/or homepage regularly.

gillsman

Unread post by gillsman » 2016-06-19, 17:36

When I go to preferences / advanced / update tab the only option is to update search engines

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-06-19, 17:55

As Ryan (Lootyhoof) already stated we do not include the internal automatic updater in Linux versions of the browser. This would directly conflict with any potential system packages providing Pale Moon. As for our general generic release? We have a specialized installer/updater for it that does more than just downloads and replaces the application. So please use that and watch for updates coming down the wire. The installer also allows upgrades when a new version is released. It is simply up to you to know when to run it.

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2016-06-19, 22:37

If you're using an RSS reader, you could subscribe to the RSS feed of the Releases thread. That's how I keep track. You'll still have to update manually via the installer, but you won't have to check for new versions manually all the time.
Depending on what Linux distribution you are using, you may also be able to install (and auto-update) Pale Moon via the official repositories or some PPAs.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-06-27, 18:09

For Ubuntu and Debian 7 and 8, the openSUSE Build Service repositories will provide automatic updates. I'm belatedly loading 26.3.2 source into it right now :oops: .

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-06-27, 18:30

Not for Add-ons.. Our server will send send those out (or Mozilla's server if it is on AMO least for as long as that lasts)