PM browser and NatWest

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Barnaby

PM browser and NatWest

Unread post by Barnaby » 2016-06-11, 10:17

Recently I became treasurer for a local group. They use NatWest as their bank. When I tried to log on with PM I got the following error message:

The Internet browser you are using is not supported by Online Banking. Use the link below to see a complete list of the browsers we support.

(The link mentioned did not work.) This surprised me as PM is based on Firefox. Anyway I tried FF and that worked. Just out of interest I tried the Vivaldi browser which I also have installed. This is based on Opera, as I understand it. That worked without a problem. I find this very strange. If PM does not work why would Vivaldi be any better? If anyone can suggest a reason I would be interested to hear it.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: PM browser and NatWest

Unread post by Falna » 2016-06-11, 11:36

This page may help you: viewtopic.php?t=6004

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Barnaby

Unread post by Barnaby » 2016-06-11, 17:19

Thanks for the help. I have had a look and have changed the compatibility mode. It is very annoying to have to do this. But this still doesn't explain why Vivaldi, a much more recent browser, does not have this issue. Meanwhile, if I need to I will use FF to log on to NatWest.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2016-06-11, 21:24

Barnaby wrote: I have had a look and have changed the compatibility mode. It is very annoying to have to do this.
Not sure why it would be annoying... just set it and forget it.
Barnaby wrote:But this still doesn't explain why Vivaldi, a much more recent browser, does not have this issue.
Sure it does, look at the contents of the Vivaldi browser and you'll see:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.102 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.1.453.59

Since Vivaldi is based on the Blink (Chromium) web engine (like Chrome, Opera, Iron, Comodo Dragon, Epic, et al) is had the Chrome reference in it's UA, so the web site lets it pass. It has nothing to do with how new or old a browser is, it has to do with UA sniffing by the web site and (if the UA is being interrogated) the contents of the UA.

Barnaby

Unread post by Barnaby » 2016-06-13, 10:54

Thanks for the info. I now understand about Vivaldi working. I have decided to not change anything on PM and use FF on the rare occasions that I need to log on to NatWest.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2016-06-13, 13:34

I myself have just tried to log in on the natwest official site and i saw no warnings except something about cookies.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2016-06-13, 14:23

Just an FYI- As of today Chase Bank is doing the same thing and I had to use firefox compatibility mode to solve the issue. I wonder if there are new UA strinsg that will fix things for Nat West and Chase?
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2016-06-13, 23:50

Can't you just bump the Firefox version in the useragent string?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-06-14, 00:05

TwoTankAmin wrote:Just an FYI- As of today Chase Bank is doing the same thing and I had to use firefox compatibility mode to solve the issue. I wonder if there are new UA strinsg that will fix things for Nat West and Chase?
So you don't want to use Firefox Compatibility Mode in Pale Moon?

Why is that?

Well anyway as far as Chase Bank is concerned, I use this URL: https://secure07b.chase.com/web/auth/dashboard#/dashboard/index/index to access Chase on the web and it works with Compatibility mode "OFF" in Pale Moon 26.2.2 (although I personally have Compatibility Mode turned "ON" for other reasons I turned it "OFF" to test the Chase URL I use and found that this URL works turned "OFF" as well ;)).

As far as the UA string for Chase, I have the default.

Can't speak to Nat West, no account.

ADDENDUM: SORRY, JUST NOTICED I'M IN THE LINUX BOARD. (well it works w/ Windows 7, FWIW) Hmm, maybe the URL (posted above) will work in Linux (I don't think it's a commonly used log-in page actually) :idea: (which is why I'm leaving the post just in case ;))
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Barnaby

Unread post by Barnaby » 2016-06-14, 11:02

Since other banks have been mentioned -
I also use First Direct as my own bank. If I try to log on in FF I get this message: "Sorry we cannot action your request at the moment. Please try again later." I get this every time. With PM it works without any problem.

I also, for historical reasons, have a savings account with Barclays. If I try to log on with PM it fails every time. On the other hand FF works without any problem. The reverse of First Direct. I give up ....

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2016-06-14, 12:07

@Pale Moon Rising- I just tried your link solution and I get the same page telling me to update my browser.

And I do not wish to use FF compatibility mode for the same reason I do not want to use FF itself. A better question is why does Chase think there are only 4 acceptable browsers? Consider that a minor flip of a switch in P M that changes pretty much nothing about the functionality of the browser makes it work fine. So clearly there is nothing in the functionality of P M which prevents if from working on the Chase site, there is only their attitude that prevents it from works and a solution at there end is probably very simple and easy to implement.

I do not run a sophisticated system. I run windows 7 and almost no addons: I have 4 Plugins and the only one not set to Ask to Activate is Java. Flash, Silverlight and my Cannon digicam are all ask. On the Extentions side I run Adblock Latitude, Better Privacy, Expire History By Days, Ghostery, Google search link fix, Open Download, Pale Moon Commander and Self-Destructing cookies. I use the P M default theme.

I registered a complaint with Chase and gave them the url for this site. I expect them to do absolutely nothing.

I have a similar issue with Morgan Stanley, but there is no flip of a switch or UA string that will fix this. In order to transfer money from my Morgan account to my bank account I log onto Chase using FF ver. 28. Apparently, FF 28 is a safer more secure browser than P M 26.2.2 as far as Chase is concerned.
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2016-06-14, 15:03

Barnaby wrote: I also, for historical reasons, have a savings account with Barclays. If I try to log on with PM it fails every time ....
I bank with Barclays and for a long time now Barclays login has thrown up the out-of-date browser message when using PM, doesn't matter if FF compatibility is set or not. Barclays login seems to class FF 38.9 as used in PM FF compat mode as old.
I found I needed to set a UA string for bank.barclays quoting a very recent FF version, say 44.0 upwards to get past the login message.

I see from Moonchild comments in another similar thread he intends to update the UA string in FF compat mode to v45.9 or so. That should cure the Barclays issues for those not prepared or unwilling to set a specific UA string.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2016-06-14, 16:23

I am happy to use a UA string when it solves the problem. It is basically a one-time fix. But having to switch FF Compatibility on and off is a PITA. Having to do that with Flash is an even greater PITA since on some sites its needed for something very minor that is only called on in response to a specific click as opposed to the site in general. It annoys heck out of me as i do not wish to allow Flash to load automatically no matter what. I am willing to click to allow flash for a given visit/purpose as that doesn't require changing the settings. But when I have to change the setting in case I do something on a site that otherwise works fine, that is a problem. It means that I must remember to turn it off when I leave the site and if I forget, then I am more at risk from haveing Flash alwats enabled.

I am beginning to think things were actually better 25+ years ago when I had to mess with dip switches and the win,ini file to keep Windows 3 (3.1) working well.

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2016-06-14, 17:04

It means that I must remember to turn it off when I leave the site and if I forget, then I am more at risk from haveing Flash alwats enabled.
Don't forget that with PM you can override the settings in Tools > Add-ons > Plugins on a site by site basis.
Click the icon in the left of the PM address bar and you can will get a pop up box showing Page Info. You can click on Permissions and scroll down to Flash or whatever you want to set for that specific site.
Taking Flash for an example there is a setting for Activate Plugins and four possible settings by clicking the required button, Use Default -- Always Ask -- Allow -- Deny.
That will override your default settings on a site by site basis!

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2016-06-14, 22:31

What bothers me about this issue with banks and brokers that annoys me is there is no need for it. I keep accounts with two banks. I have no issue with my Citibank site using P M. So it is not much work for me to reverse the roles of the two bank and make Citi the primary and Chase the back-up.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2016-08-05, 15:48

Well it happened today, I can not log onto Chase using P M- even with Firefox Compatibility turned on. They are insisting I upgrade to one of the usual foursome of browsers. Just as Morgan Stanley does, Chase will allow me to log on using Firefox ver.28.

I am not very computer savvy, but I do recognize stupidity when I see it. What does this say about how much Morgan Stanley and Chase really care about their customer's security?

I called Chase re this and to the standard we only support these 4 reply. But the Citi site has no issue with Pale Moon. Unlike my long term relationship with my stock broker, I have no relationship with anybody at Chase. Since there is little difference between these two banks for most people, I will simply move most of my banking functions from Chase to Citi. This is a PITA since I will have to change my automatic Social Security deposit and the automatic withdrawals of my health and drug insurance premiums.

Just an FYI- I run P M ver 26.3.3 )x86) on a windows 7 desktop. I have not changed/updated my Add-ons and I am running a fairly recent ESR ver. of Flash.
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on 2016-08-05, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2016-08-05, 15:50

Before you go through that hassle, PM 27 may resolve the underlying problem. You can follow the steps here and test it with the latest alpha version yourself.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12538

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2016-08-05, 16:15

I am aware that P M 27 may fix the issue with both Morgan and Chase. Unfortunately it is also incomptible with one of my very few add-ons and one I have yet to find an acceptable substitute for. So I am planning to hold off on upgrading to 27 when it is finally released. I am not sure for how long I will do this, but I would like some additional time to see if a new replacement gets made. See this thread re "Problem with Self-Destructing Cookies addon" https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12539&p=89510#p89510

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2016-08-05, 17:34

Have you tried a general.useragent.override mod for chase.com? I don't have an account with them to test anymore but I see a preset in about:config for Chase as:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.9
Modifying it to:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/25.0
may provide a simple solution in the short term. If not, reset by double clicking and restart PM.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2016-08-05, 18:14

CraigPD wrote:Have you tried a general.useragent.override mod for chase.com? I don't have an account with them to test anymore but I see a preset in about:config for Chase as:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.9
I just tried that and I am able to get into my Chase account on PM 26.3.3 using that exact override. Using x64 PM on Linux.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.