GTK icons?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!

GTK or SVG?

Poll ended at 2016-05-28, 18:40

GTK
76%
SVG
14%
Either is fine
10%

Total votes: 21

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

GTK icons?

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-05-21, 18:40

As we are plodding ahead with our rebase, codenamed Tycho, I've decided to get stuck in with improving the themes. I've noticed, though, that because of the common ancestry we'll be using from Firefox, that they removed the GTK styling for close icons somewhere down the line, and instead opt to use SVG icons for the close icons instead on the Linux theme. Specifically, these:

With that said, as this project is for the community, which would you prefer, GTK-native icons, or pre-made SVGs?

rahtgaz

Re: GTK icons?

Unread post by rahtgaz » 2016-05-21, 19:27

Voted GTK.

The svg ones are almost identical to the MAXI theme that I used until very recently. So it's not that I don't like them. But I would rather see the default Pale Moon theme being consistent in its use of GTK elements.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-05-21, 19:39

GTK would be a much better option.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-05-22, 03:21

I voted SVG. "gtk themes" include a gaziilion icons that we don't need, for a couple of reasons
  1. a "theme" is supposed to cover anything+everything that umpteen applications might need, not what Pale Moon alone might need. Question; given proper attribution, do the gtk theme licence terms allow us to cherry-pick just the icons Pale Moon needs, and bundle only them?
  2. The "S" in "SVG" stands for "scalable". No need for separate 16x16, 32x32, 48x48,... 256x256 versions. Again, a lot less baggage to carry around.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-05-22, 03:27

I'm still fairly new to Linux, so what's the difference (in all things) between the two? Besides SVG being scalable.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-05-22, 05:43

Now I'm not a Linux users (Windows 7+), but I would surely like to know the difference.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-05-22, 11:49

Using GTK would be native to linux, and using svg wouldn't be.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-05-22, 16:19

Walter Dnes wrote:I voted SVG. "gtk themes" include a gaziilion icons that we don't need, for a couple of reasons
  1. a "theme" is supposed to cover anything+everything that umpteen applications might need, not what Pale Moon alone might need. Question; given proper attribution, do the gtk theme licence terms allow us to cherry-pick just the icons Pale Moon needs, and bundle only them?
  2. The "S" in "SVG" stands for "scalable". No need for separate 16x16, 32x32, 48x48,... 256x256 versions. Again, a lot less baggage to carry around.
GTK icon packs are installed system-wide; Pale Moon does not include its own in this case, and simply uses whatever is available.
helloimustbegoing wrote:I'm still fairly new to Linux, so what's the difference (in all things) between the two? Besides SVG being scalable.
As GTK icons are installed system-wide, it is possible to change them whenever you want. When you do this, any program that uses these icons will also change their icons to suit, as, like Pale Moon, other Linux programs tend to refer to the currently-applied GTK icon pack for what icons to display.

Andrew Gilbertson

Unread post by Andrew Gilbertson » 2016-05-24, 12:59

This is for what's generally considered "window decorations", right? There's no need for the browser to be some sort of special snowflake that draws its own versions of those things. Let the window manager handle that stuff - which is part of the window manager's job, after all - so that the browser doesn't need any special stuff for things that essentially redundant versions of an ability that the system already provides. The fact that both Firefox and Chrome want - very nearly insist - that they be allowed to do that sort of thing is one of the reasons that I prefer to stay away from them whenever possible.

Just my 2¢ and probably somewhat nonsensical but hopefully I got my point across.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-05-27, 19:48

A day earlier than the official closing of the poll (because why not? ;) ) but you've said so and so I will follow! GTK icons will remain for close icons in Linux. :thumbup:

Note that the other previously-GTK icons will already stay the same, it's just that as that was changed I figured I'd ask just in case.