Segfault on navigator window launch

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Segfault on navigator window launch

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-05, 10:13

dinosaur wrote:
ketmar wrote:-O3 is known to cause troubles too. stick with -O2, you won't notice much speed improvement from -O3 anyway. ;-)
-O3 works just fine, thank you. I have been using it for many years without issue whatsoever
There is no guarantee that it will continue to work. It can break at any point in time with any code change. DO NOT use -O3. We say this for good reasons everywhere.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2016-06-05, 14:02

Moonchild wrote:
dinosaur wrote:
ketmar wrote:-O3 is known to cause troubles too. stick with -O2, you won't notice much speed improvement from -O3 anyway. ;-)
-O3 works just fine, thank you. I have been using it for many years without issue whatsoever
There is no guarantee that it will continue to work. It can break at any point in time with any code change. DO NOT use -O3. We say this for good reasons everywhere.
Thank you, but with 35+ years of experience in programming (including with programming... compilers !), I think I know what options I can trust or not (and yes, I don't use just -O3, but also disable some specific options that are enabled by -O3 and I know could cause issues).

Point is: gcc 4.9 is just screwed up (and it's not *just* me saying it: Linus Tovald himself is sharing the same point of view). I also since experienced weird crashes with my new PCLinuxOS 2016 installation (which official packages are built with gcc v4.9.2 and -O2): each time, recompiling the faulty software with gcc v4.6.4 (and -O3 !) solved the issue.

Draw your own conclusions, or just call me a fool. You have been warned. Period.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2016-06-05, 14:07

Off-topic:
so you came here and telling us that you know how to build things better than lead Pale Moon developer. i have only one question: why did you came here at the first place? you obviously know everything better than anyone here, so why bother? sorry for trying to help you, Your Majesty! this won't happen again.
Last edited by Anonymous on 2016-06-05, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic post is off topic

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2016-06-05, 14:43

Off-topic:
ketmar wrote:so you came here and telling us that you know how to build things better than lead Pale Moon developer. i have only one question: why did you came here at the first place? you obviously know everything better than anyone here, so why bother? sorry for trying to help you, Your Majesty! this won't happen again.
I didn't ask for any help: I was giving a clue about why the original poster of this thread (ruskie) encountered segfaults. As for experience in programming, yes, I've got a long one, so what ? I'm just sharing my experience with you guys, but if you prefer to consider that anyone posting in this forum is a noob at programming, I'll definitely stop and let you mourn on your unresolved issues.
Last edited by Anonymous on 2016-06-05, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic post is off topic

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-06-05, 19:10

Off-topic:
What you must understand dinosaur is that a mozilla-style codebase isn't a straight-forward thing to just compile willy-nilly with any options and optimizations. It is quite a complex thing with imported libs and code of various ages as well as a lot of glue. The build system its self is a monster because the ways it needs to build all this code so it all works together is also daunting. The mozilla-style codebase as a whole is quite different than any other project on the planet and in many cases one little thing can mean the difference between a stable build and one that crashes.

Unless you have 35 years of experience building THIS codebase and mozilla code in general.. Please keep your self important declarations to your self and please try not to derail threads.

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2016-06-05, 23:06

Matt A Tobin wrote:
Off-topic:
What you must understand dinosaur is that a mozilla-style codebase isn't a straight-forward thing to just compile willy-nilly with any options and optimizations. It is quite a complex thing with imported libs and code of various ages as well as a lot of glue. The build system its self is a monster because the ways it needs to build all this code so it all works together is also daunting. The mozilla-style codebase as a whole is quite different than any other project on the planet and in many cases one little thing can mean the difference between a stable build and one that crashes.

Unless you have 35 years of experience building THIS codebase and mozilla code in general.. Please keep your self important declarations to your self and please try not to derail threads.
What you must understand is that I have been compiling my own builds of Firefox when it was still called Firebird (something around v0.6, IIRC), and before that I was compiling the Mosaic browser...

If you guys think you are the only experienced programmers on Internet, you are wrong...

I *simply* pointed out that a segfault in a binary was perhaps not due to a bug in the browser code itself, but a bug in the compiler used to compile it. Since I had just encountered this issue, precisely with Palemoon, on my newly installed distro, I thought it could be worth mentioning this possibility and the fact that gcc 4.9.2 was the cause for segfaults in PM binaries compiled with it.

Take it or leave it, but stop being so aggressive when someone just tries and help others, please !

Thank you.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2016-06-06, 04:59

Off-topic:
nope, you aren't trying to help. you are telling that you have decades of expirience in building projects, we are clearly telling BS here, and you know for sure that downgrading the compiler is The Ultimate Solution. 'cause torvalds said that the new compiler is buggy, and torvalds is god. with such attitude you will get "aggressive" responses in any project (and i bet it happened before).

2all: sorry for noising again, this is my last offtopic post on this issue.

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2016-06-06, 07:22

ketmar wrote:
Off-topic:
nope, you aren't trying to help. you are telling that you have decades of expirience in building projects, we are clearly telling BS here, and you know for sure that downgrading the compiler is The Ultimate Solution. 'cause torvalds said that the new compiler is buggy, and torvalds is god. with such attitude you will get "aggressive" responses in any project (and i bet it happened before).

2all: sorry for noising again, this is my last offtopic post on this issue.
A clear demonstration of gratuitous aggressiveness. Thank you for proving my point.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-06, 08:54

Off-topic:
dinosaur wrote:A clear demonstration of gratuitous aggressiveness. Thank you for proving my point.
Warning issued. Get out of your ivory tower.
So, is there currently still an issue with this segfault we can help the OP with? Ruskie? Was this caused by -O3?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gin83

Unread post by gin83 » 2016-06-12, 13:24

Moonchild wrote:So, is there currently still an issue with this segfault we can help the OP with? Ruskie? Was this caused by -O3?
I don't think the segfault is related to the compiler, I tried with gcc-4.6.4, gcc-4.7.4, gcc-4.8.5, gcc-4.9.3, gcc-5.3.0 all of them build Palemoon-26.2.2 just fine.
It shouldn't be the the optimization level either, since I build Palemoon with "-O2 -fPIC".
I also tried with the config provided by Walter Dnes (thanks Walter), the segfault is still there.

A library in Slackware64-current must conflict with Palemoon...but which one?

Regards.

dasslet

Unread post by dasslet » 2016-07-10, 09:29

Hi folks,

there was no segfault with Palemoon 26.3.3 in Skackware 14.1 64 bit, and I have not tried Slackware current before 14.2 was officially released. Just to confirm, I can reproduce the above backtrace on Slackware 14.2 64 bit -- using the Palemoon release.

I then tried building Palemoon on Slack 14.2 using these instructions, and using the -O2 flag:
http://developer.palemoon.org/Developer ... Moon/Linux

Palemoon's source is from here:
git clone http://developer.palemoon.org/Developer ... Moon/Linux

pmsrc/client.mk:281: *** Could not find autoconf 2.13. Stop.

Slack's autoconf version is 2.69.

dasslet

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-07-11, 00:56

dasslet wrote:pmsrc/client.mk:281: *** Could not find autoconf 2.13. Stop.

Slack's autoconf version is 2.69.
You should be able to install multiple versions of autoconf simultaneously. Run whatever command Slack uses to install software, to install version 2.13. Firefox/Palemoon/Seamonkey will build ONLY with autoconf version 2.13 available. It's a hard-coded dependancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk&t=1m25s
  1. Then shall thou count to 2.13
  2. No more, no less
  3. 2.13 shall be the number thou shall count, etc
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

ruskie

Unread post by ruskie » 2016-07-12, 05:51

Was waiting on slackware 14.2 and some time to try things again.

Well I've upgraded one of my systems to slackware 14.2 and still got the segfault. I haven't tried with Pale moon 26.3.3 yet.

And I have been using the offical binary version from the pale moon homepage.

The few I tried to build I tried launching in place and they also had the segfault behaviour.

I'll try with pale moon 26.3.3 sometime this week.

JohnB316

Unread post by JohnB316 » 2016-07-19, 21:45

ruskie wrote:Was waiting on slackware 14.2 and some time to try things again.

Well I've upgraded one of my systems to slackware 14.2 and still got the segfault. I haven't tried with Pale moon 26.3.3 yet.

And I have been using the offical binary version from the pale moon homepage.

The few I tried to build I tried launching in place and they also had the segfault behaviour.

I'll try with pale moon 26.3.3 sometime this week.
Ruskie,

Before you try your build with PM 26.3.3, you may want to visit one of the Slackware mirrors and study the SlackBuild to see how Patrick Volkerding builds Firefox from source. He does a build of autoconf-2.13 for temporary use so that Firefox will build. Here is a link to the Firefox source in the Slackware64-current tree: http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware64 ... a-firefox/

Hopefully you'll be able to get Pale Moon to build for you with that tip.

Best,
JohnB

dasslet

Unread post by dasslet » 2016-08-01, 23:30

Thanks Ruskie,

I have tried your suggestion and compiled Pale Moon using Slackware's build script. Pale Moon compiles fine, but I still get the same segfault when starting Pale Moon.

Considering there are no issues with Firefox itself, I would suggest that Pale Moons's older code base is the culprit.

dasslet

Unread post by dasslet » 2016-08-01, 23:32

Sorry, this should have been addressed to JohnB.

skinnymf

Unread post by skinnymf » 2016-08-03, 16:48

I am having the same issue with the segfault on Slackware 14.2 release for x86-64.. I had no issues on 14.1.

I've tried Palemoon 26.3.3 as well as the older 25.8.1 supported by SlackBuilds, both exhibit the same
problem. Below is some information that may or may not be relevant. I'd like to help resolve this issue any
way I can. If there is any more information I can provide or any debugging steps I should try next, please let
me know.

> uname -a
Linux manticore 4.4.14 #2 SMP Fri Jun 24 13:38:27 CDT 2016 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
> /usr/bin/palemoon --version
Moonchild Productions Pale Moon 25.8.1
> ldd /usr/bin/palemoon
linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffcf62e9000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f05a07e5000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f05a05e1000)
librt.so.1 => /lib64/librt.so.1 (0x00007f05a03d8000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007f05a005e000)
libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x00007f059fd55000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f059fb3d000)
libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f059f774000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x0000563744cc6000)
>

ruskie

Unread post by ruskie » 2016-08-29, 10:43

Well I updated Slackware to all the latest in 14.2 on the 26th.
List of stuff that got updated:

Code: Select all

glib2-2.46.2-x86_64-3_slack14.2
gnupg-1.4.21-x86_64-1_slack14.2
kernel-firmware-20160823git-noarch-1_slack14.2
kernel-generic-4.4.19-x86_64-1_slack14.2
kernel-headers-4.4.19-x86-1_slack14.2
kernel-huge-4.4.19-x86_64-1_slack14.2
kernel-modules-4.4.19-x86_64-1_slack14.2
kernel-source-4.4.19-noarch-1_slack14.2
libgcrypt-1.7.3-x86_64-1_slack14.2
recordmydesktop-0.3.8.1-x86_64-3
screen-4.4.0-x86_64-2_slack14.2
stunnel-5.35-x86_64-2_slack14.2
And now I can run palemoon properly. From that list glib2 is kinda the most obvious culprit in this. I don't know if libgcrypt is linked in as well but those two are the most obvious in this list.