Heavy CPU load when on youtube

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
wildchild

Heavy CPU load when on youtube

Unread post by wildchild » 2016-03-21, 18:34

I updated palemoon from 26.0.0 to 26.1.1 a couple of days ago (Xubuntu 15.10. x64, youtube with html5, CPU Core2Duo, 80 tabs open). Since the update I get high CPU load on youtube in certain conditions. I can reproduce this when following these steps:

1. Go to youtube.com
2. On the edge to the right there is a list of video suggestions. Open one in a new tab.
3. When the tab is there it takes about 20s until I get the message "if playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device" combined with an animation which signals something is busy. From this moment top shows CPU usage around 170% and sometimes around 120% for palemoon. When I start the video CPU usage goes down to 45% and stays there.

Does anyone have an idea what could cause this?

ipsirc

Re: Heavy CPU load when on youtube

Unread post by ipsirc » 2016-03-22, 00:46

use gstreamer for youtube

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-03-22, 01:42

ipsirc wrote:use gstreamer for youtube
To enable GSteamer, type "about:config" in your address bar (minus quotes), and then toggle "media.gsteamer.enabled" to true.

wildchild

Unread post by wildchild » 2016-03-22, 07:46

media.gstreamer.enabled is true already. Any other suggestion?

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2016-03-22, 14:20

Then try disabling media.gstreamer.enabled to default (false), reboot and test. If no improvement, with the same config setting (false) try deleting the general.useragent.override for youtube.com (leaving it blank). I did both to eliminate excessive CPU activity and also to prevent PM from hanging with persistent high CPU load upon exiting. I have FF compatibility mode unchecked and this combination seems to have resolved the problem for the past 2 weeks on Xubuntu 15.10.

wildchild

Unread post by wildchild » 2016-03-22, 17:45

Thanks, setting media.gstreamer.enabled to false and a reboot solved the issue.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2016-03-22, 18:29

Another mystery circumvented :thumbup:

paulnevinthomas

Unread post by paulnevinthomas » 2016-04-05, 11:44

Glad you figured it out, but depending on how long you've had it, may want to make sure the heatsink is clean too

Source: my mom's computer is running an athlon from 2009 with the stock AMD heatsink, and it got so filled with dust in five years that while the fan could cool the CPU, it couldn't blow through the heatsink to cool the motherboard, and the integrated graphics were crippled by thermal throttling when they hit 100C

Also, you may consider installing Core Temp to monitor your temperatures: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Works for just about every processor for windows 7/8/8.1, it just sits in the notification area and it will let you know if your cooling is working in the future

wildchild

Unread post by wildchild » 2016-04-05, 12:40

As this is my main machine I clean the heatsink several times a year and apply new thermal paste once a year. To monitor system temperature I use the sensors plugin for xfce4. Its not hardware related this time.

wildchild

Unread post by wildchild » 2016-04-14, 11:32

CraigPD wrote:Another mystery circumvented :thumbup:
And it gets even better. After the update to 26.2.1 yesterday I got 100% cpu load again. Setting media.gstreamer.enabled to true fixed it.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-04-14, 14:14

wildchild wrote:
CraigPD wrote:Another mystery circumvented :thumbup:
And it gets even better. After the update to 26.2.1 yesterday I got 100% cpu load again. Setting media.gstreamer.enabled to true fixed it.
In addition to now supporting and using GSteamer 1.x, numerous other improvements were made to Pale Moon's GStreamer back-end for 26.2.0

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-04-28, 01:44

^ GStreamer only applies to those who use Xubuntu, right?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-04-28, 02:04

No, GStreamer is can be used with any distro.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-04-28, 03:36

trava90 wrote:No, GStreamer is can be used with any distro.
Thanks for the reply.

Okay, "distro" is defined as ?

And in non-tech talk, what exactly is GStreamer (and what does it do precisely)?

It's great getting so much help on this forum which is really appreciated, but some of it is way over my head unfortunately (perhaps some others as well maybe, but then maybe not and I'm the only dummy on this board).

So when you have the time could you go over some of this in a much more detailed manner using general terms in English as opposed to tech-talk please?

More to the point, I'm interested in getting the video in this topic post Re: some twitter videos do not play to work where you replied a little further down with this post: Re: some twitter videos do not play (which I might add is in a "General Support" board as opposed to Linux). I am using Windows7 not Linux and the reason I say this is because of posts I see like this quote:
... mpeg4 is normally sent off to windows media foundation on windows and gstreamer on linux..
and quote:
C1xLb wrote:Ok - so installing gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg got videos working in twitter and streamable on my xubuntu 14.04 machine. This page outlines how to install it from a PPA.
which leads me to believe that GStreamer is designed for Linux (and Xubuntu since I see posts regarding this OS in relation to GStreamer as well). And in that same topic I posted THIS in my attempt to understand what is going on but without any followup reply to help me out regarding this unfortunately. So with all this in mind, my impression has been that GStreamer does not apply to my platform, so then am I wrong to conclude this?

So my bottom-line question is if I can fix the video problem on Windows 7 that I have referenced in the first link above with GStreamer then what exactly are the STEP-BY-STEP procedures necessary to accomplish this without creating any other compatibility issues or messing up my system in any way as it stands now, again speaking in regular common language terms and not "tech-talk" please. Thanks. ;)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-04-28, 05:22

Pale Moon Rising wrote:So when you have the time could you go over some of this in a much more detailed manner using general terms in English as opposed to tech-talk please?
Here you go! :)
Pale Moon Rising wrote:Okay, "distro" is defined as ?
A Linux distribution "distro" is a collection of Linux software bundled around the Linux kernel. If you were looking to try Linux, a distro is what you would need to download. For example, some popular distros include Xubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, Manjaro, etc. etc.
Pale Moon Rising wrote:And in non-tech talk, what exactly is GStreamer (and what does it do precisely)?
GStreamer is popular open source software designed for playing audio/video media. It supports an extremely wide variety of media types, formats, and codecs (including h.264). It is widely used in the Linux realm, but is also available for Windows and other OS's.
Pale Moon Rising wrote:my impression has been that GStreamer does not apply to my platform, so then am I wrong to conclude this?
As far as Pale Moon is concerned, yes that is correct. While GStreamer is available for Windows, Pale Moon only uses GStreamer on Linux (and experimentally on Mac as well). On Windows, Pale Moon should use the Windows Media Foundation (as previously pointed out).

Hopefully that provides a better and slightly more in-depth answer to your questions.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-04-28, 06:37

^ Thank you :thumbup: ;)