"This version no longer supported..." Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
tosim

"This version no longer supported..."

Unread post by tosim » 2016-03-20, 14:41

Am new to Pale Moon, but not to computers. Running dual boot on most of my machines, using Linux Mint 17.3 MATE, and either Win7 or Win10. I d/l and installed Pale Moon for Linux three days ago, imported my bookmarks,etc., from Chrome, and like this browser. However, just below the bookmark toolbar is another toolbar saying, "This version of Firefox is no longer supported. Please upgrade to asupported browser. Dismiss" . The version of Pale Moon browser is : Version: 26.1.1 (x86) Would appreciate any info on this. Thank you.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: "This version no longer supported..."

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-03-20, 14:59

You've visited a site using bad user agent sniffing, and it thinks that Pale Moon is an outdated version of Firefox. There's a lot of information about this on the forum. See this ecent thread for example: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11545

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-03-20, 16:12

That looks like Google's message.
See other threads about GMail's useragent sniffing. They just misidentify Pale Moon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tosim

Unread post by tosim » 2016-03-21, 17:25

Thank you Trava0 and Moonchild for your replies. I did go to the website suggested and read all the posts. thank you both again.

tosim

Unread post by tosim » 2016-04-24, 16:08

Update: As I am now running PM 26.2.1 as my main browser, we can close this topic. BTW-I've placed PM on all my machines and have been recommending it to my (computer) clients. Any chance of getting a PPA repository (for Linux Mint) setup for PM?

ipsirc

Unread post by ipsirc » 2016-04-24, 18:10

tosim wrote:Update: As I am now running PM 26.2.1 as my main browser, we can close this topic. BTW-I've placed PM on all my machines and have been recommending it to my (computer) clients. Any chance of getting a PPA repository (for Linux Mint) setup for PM?
- ask Clement Lefebvre
- use mepis repo: deb http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/repo/ mepis12cr main

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2016-04-24, 19:39

tosim wrote:Any chance of getting a PPA repository (for Linux Mint) setup for PM?
There is a PPA for Ubuntu: https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, so that PPA should work fine. Follow the instructions for Ubuntu 14.04 if you are using Linux Mint 17, or those for Ubuntu 12.04 if you are using Linux Mint 13.

beacon14

Unread post by beacon14 » 2016-07-25, 13:31

Please forgive me if I am in the wrong place for my query. I have read through a good many posts and have not found an answer to my problem. I am using Linux Mint 17.3 with slimjet chrome browser. I once had Pale Moon and used it successfully. I had to reinstall my operating system, and now for the life of me I can't install PM. I have tried downloading from the official site, but when I click on the PM installer for Linux button, nothing happens. I have tried all the other suggestions I have read, such as using the installer for ubuntu 14.04. In every case, either nothing happens, or I get a message: gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding. Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.

I should like to get PM once again and would appreciate help.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-07-25, 15:02

@beacon14: Have you tried this?
Some file managers treat the pminstaller.sh file as a normal text file and will try to open it as such (in a text editor). In such cases you must run the installer by:
/path/to/the/installer/pminstaller.sh

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/
Use your actual path to the installer on your system (and you do this in the terminal, I believe).

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-07-25, 15:49

You can also (f you'd rather use the GUI) right click on pminstaller.sh, and select "Properties". Then make sure it is marked as executable, as so:
Screenshot_20160725_104830.png

beacon14

Unread post by beacon14 » 2016-07-25, 16:26

Thank you very much for the (quick) replies. I can't believe that I have spent literally hours over the last two days with no joy, and after your suggestions I installed in minutes.
I am most grateful.