Any thoughts of ending 32 bit?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mmikeinsantarosa

Any thoughts of ending 32 bit?

Unread post by mmikeinsantarosa » 2016-01-22, 16:09

At least one fairly popular browser has recently indicated it intends to end support for 32 bit and since palemoon has become my favorite browser, I was wondering if palemoon had any intensions of going down the same hole. I'm a packager for antix/mx and some of our users have asked about this so I am posting at the source for something I can put up in our forum.

Thanks to all for such a great browser!
Mike

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Any thoughts of ending 32 bit?

Unread post by eskaton » 2016-01-22, 16:26

Many plugins and video drivers don't work well still in x64, so no, I doubt ending 32bit is very likely. Out of curiosity, which browser(s) mention killing off x86?

mmikeinsantarosa

Unread post by mmikeinsantarosa » 2016-01-22, 16:35

This was lifted from our forum
A friend is getting a warning every time she opens Google Chrome, that Google will not support the 32 bit operating system soon...
One of our distro's strenghts is its ability to run very well on older hardware especially older laptops and most of these are 32 bit. Ending 32 bit anything for us is a big deal.

Mike

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-22, 19:30

:lol: Way to go, Google!

We'll be happily waiting for all Google Chrome refugees who can no longer run it on their 32-bit OS.

No, we won't discontinue 32-bit versions. WoW64 (32-bit Windows applications on 64-bit Windows) works exceedingly well and there's no reason to force everyone to a less-widely-supported architecture for an application that doesn't actually get large benefits from 64-bit. Same goes for Linux; even if Linux64 is commonplace for desktops, there's no reason why we should stop building i686.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mmikeinsantarosa

Unread post by mmikeinsantarosa » 2016-01-22, 21:42

Thanks for that Moonchild!
Your message has been relayed - mike