i cannot completely disable session restore.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Jazoray

i cannot completely disable session restore.

Unread post by Jazoray » 2015-11-19, 20:31

Oh hi

I am on Mint KDE 17.2 x64 and using Pale Moon 25.7.3

i fundamentally disagree with the concept of session restoring in browsers. I have disabled pale moon's session manager in every place i can imagine, and used tabmixplus session restore disabling.

And it seems to work.

the session is not restored. No matter if the browser was closed gracefully, or has crashed, or was sigkill'd.

but there is one case where my session still gets restored no matter what i try: if i log out from my linux session (i think this is called the X session?), or reboot my computer while palemoon is running, then my tabs are reopened the next time i start palemoon.

what is happening here?

lightning slinger

Re: i cannot completely disable session restore.

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2015-11-19, 21:15

Jazoray wrote:
..... reboot my computer while palemoon is running, then my tabs are reopened the next time i start palemoon.....
I am sure I can remember coming across this a while back when I had my red coloured 'Shut Down' button on the top right corner of my Xubuntu panel and using the Wallis window theme which also has the 'Close Window' button in red on the top right of the window, I would sometimes hit the 'Shut Down' instead of the 'Close Window' button with the exact same results you describe.

In about:config setting the browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false cured the problem.

Jazoray

Unread post by Jazoray » 2015-11-19, 21:18

lightning slinger wrote:
In about:config setting the browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false cured the problem.
that already is set to false

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2015-11-20, 11:35

The only other session settings I have changed from default are:

browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo set > 0
browser.sessionstore.max_windows_undo set > 0

I always disabled all session restore settings in FF (and the OS) for security reasons as well as when your browser crashes because of a website you do not want it opening again on the very website that crashed the browser. I have just carried on with those settings in PM even though I have never had PM crash at any time.

Jazoray

Unread post by Jazoray » 2015-11-20, 17:20

my values for those settings already are greater than zero

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2015-11-20, 20:18

I may have confused the situation by the wording in my last post

browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo set > 0
browser.sessionstore.max_windows_undo set > 0

which can be taken as set a value greater than 0

I perhaps should have worded the post as this

browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo set to 0
browser.sessionstore.max_windows_undo set to 0

Sorry for any confusion!

Jazoray

Unread post by Jazoray » 2015-11-20, 22:10

as it turns out, those settings are only for the "reopen accidentally closed tab" feature, which i do not want to disable.

Jazoray

Unread post by Jazoray » 2016-01-04, 23:36

is there maybe a launch argument ican use to make it forget the previous session? i'd just add that to my launcher.desktop

jennC

Unread post by jennC » 2016-01-06, 20:09

I am also using KDE with Debian Jessie. If you are using a different OS, then this might be little different for you.

In the operating system in Debian Jessie, to disable sessions restore (in the OS), go to "System Settings" and under the header "System Administration", choose "startup/shutdown". In Jessie, there is a tab on the left for "Session Management".

These are my settings.
sessions.jpeg
That takes care of the sessions in the OS.

However, to keep your tabs from reappearing when you start PaleMoon >> open palemoon, go to Edit, Preferences, the General tab. Then choose from the drop down menu at "When palemoon starts" and choose "Show a blank page"...

you did not say which OS you were using, so your preferences for start up and shutdown in your OS system settings might vary..

Jenn

jennC

Unread post by jennC » 2016-01-06, 20:12

one more thing...

"
reboot my computer while palemoon is running
Why are you rebooting with programs running? That's not good.. Save them and then exit.

Jenn

Jazoray

Unread post by Jazoray » 2016-01-08, 06:12

jennC wrote:I am also using KDE with Debian Jessie. If you are using a different OS, then this might be little different for you.
I am on GNU/Linux too.
In the operating system in Debian Jessie, to disable sessions restore (in the OS), go to "System Settings" and under the header "System Administration", choose "startup/shutdown". In Jessie, there is a tab on the left for "Session Management".
my problem isn't palemoon automatically launching on login
However, to keep your tabs from reappearing when you start PaleMoon >> open palemoon, go to Edit, Preferences, the General tab. Then choose from the drop down menu at "When palemoon starts" and choose "Show a blank page"...
already done that

jennC wrote:one more thing...

"
reboot my computer while palemoon is running
Why are you rebooting with programs running? That's not good.. Save them and then exit.

Jenn
any half decent session manager closes the applications for me when i log out.

jennC

Unread post by jennC » 2016-01-08, 06:35

well, I am at a loss. Sorry...