Installer does not work

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Mercury

Installer does not work

Unread post by Mercury » 2014-04-10, 02:19

Hey,

I just tried using the installer script. I extracted the bz2 file to my desktop, and tried running the sh file from a terminal.

Code: Select all

[127]______@_________:~/Desktop/pminstaller-0.0.5 > ./pminstaller.sh
/usr/bin/sudo
[sudo] password for ______: [sudo] password for ______: /tmp/pminstaller.BVgE8/installer.sh: line 19: yad: command not found
So, I get that I'm missing a tool called "yad", but the instructions mention the "built-in copy of yad" - does that mean yad is supposed to be built-in to my system, or to the installer?

I'm mostly a Windows guy, so I don't know much about the workings of Linux. This is for a netbook running Mint 16.

access2godzilla

Re: Installer does not work

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-10, 05:22

That shouldn't happen, yad is built into the installer. Some questions:
  • Do you get the password prompt? (It does seem like you're getting it).
  • Is this 32bit or 64bit Mint?
Also, v 0.0.6 has been released now, you might want to check if the problem persists in this version.

EDIT: I tried using the installer on a bunch of distros, including Linux Mint 13 (32bit). I didn't face any problems: http://youtu.be/2yzHBydyzgM
The only one distro I had problems was with Slitaz, and that was not related (absence of bash and sed's unbuffered mode) to the problem you described above.

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2014-04-11, 03:06

________@________:~ > cd Desktop/pminstaller-0.0.6
________@________:~/Desktop/pminstaller-0.0.6 > ls
pminstaller.sh  README
________@________:~/Desktop/pminstaller-0.0.6 > ./pminstaller.sh 
/usr/bin/sudo
[sudo] password for ________: [sudo] password for ________: /tmp/pminstaller.I1e2h/installer.sh: line 19: yad: command not found
________@________:~/Desktop/pminstaller-0.0.6 > uname -a
Linux ________ 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:20:46 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
ETA:
Putting my 1337 hacking skills to use:

________@________:~/Desktop/pminstaller-0.0.6 > mkdir /tmp/pminstaller1
________@________:~/Desktop/pminstaller-0.0.6 > tail -n +28 pminstaller.sh | tar -xJf - -C /tmp/pminstaller1
________@________:~/Desktop/pminstaller-0.0.6 > cd /tmp/pminstaller1
________@________:/tmp/pminstaller1 > ls
bin  installer.sh  tools
________@________:/tmp/pminstaller1 > uname -m
x86_64
________@________:/tmp/pminstaller1 > echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games
________@________:/tmp/pminstaller1 > PATH=/tmp/pminstaller1/bin/amd64:/tmp/pminstaller1/tools:$PATH
________@________:/tmp/pminstaller1 > echo $PATH
/tmp/pminstaller1/bin/amd64:/tmp/pminstaller1/tools:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games
________@________:/tmp/pminstaller1 > yad --version
________@________:/tmp/pminstaller1 > runasroot yad --version
/usr/bin/sudo
[sudo] password for ________: [sudo] password for ________: sudo: yad: command not found
So the problem seems to be that yad is not found when invoked with runasroot.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-11, 17:30

The previous versions of the installer had some certain bugs which prevented this as well as caused some other problems. So I deleted the previous versions (no one should be using them) and uploaded v0.1, which should fix the above described issue.

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2014-04-12, 14:57

The newest installer version (0.1) works on my system!