Profile Migration tool

Development discussions for FossaMail
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Profile Migration tool

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-19, 00:14

For people wanting to move from Thunderbird to FossaMail, I've put together a migration tool similar to the tool for Pale Moon.
This is mostly untested at the moment but it's a simple tool and should work. Consider it a "public beta" here. Please test it if you can, and let me know if it works.

Warning: it WILL delete and overwrite any existing FossaMail profile data (which includes your collected e-mails) so make absolutely sure you know what you are doing if you already have FossaMail installed!
Attachments
tb2fm-migrate.zip
(649.9 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Austin fan

Re: Profile Migration tool

Unread post by Austin fan » 2014-05-12, 16:37

I used the migration tool. It works perfectly. It took a few minutes for FossaMail to respond after completion of the migration -- it must have been working in the background. But when I was able to open FossaMail I was pleased to find an exact duplicate of my Thunderbird folders and messages. This completes my transition from Firefox/Thunderbird to Pale Moon/FossaMail.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-12, 17:11

Austin fan wrote:I used the migration tool. It works perfectly. It took a few minutes for FossaMail to respond after completion of the migration -- it must have been working in the background. But when I was able to open FossaMail I was pleased to find an exact duplicate of my Thunderbird folders and messages. This completes my transition from Firefox/Thunderbird to Pale Moon/FossaMail.
Thanks for taking the time to use it and report your findings!

I'll see about publishing the tool on the website if nobody else has time to test it but the two of us ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-05-12, 17:20

Moonchild wrote:I'll see about publishing the tool on the website if nobody else has time to test it but the two of us ;)
I will give it a test run and report back as well in a bit. ATM I am breaking stuff :D

baritone
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by baritone » 2014-05-13, 06:18

Oh, if you need more feedback: I have used it, too and indeed it works fast and without problems. I only had to replace the "old" lightning (which only showed an empty calendar grid with no days at all) with the version provided on the fossamail page.

onehurst

Unread post by onehurst » 2014-05-13, 12:06

tried to run migration tool. got this,
error number: 70
error source: microsoft vbscript runtime error
desc: permission denied

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-13, 12:21

onehurst wrote:tried to run migration tool. got this,
error number: 70
error source: microsoft vbscript runtime error
desc: permission denied
That's a known problem if your user account has too tight restrictions on it. This can happen easily in server environment or in Windows Vista (are you using either? Did you "board shut" your Windows installation?). You'll have to manually copy in that case since there's nothing I can do about the windows scripting host being denied access to user folders.

onehurst

Unread post by onehurst » 2014-05-13, 12:33

what is "your user account has too tight restrictions on it"? running win7 pro 64 bit.
thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-13, 13:13

onehurst wrote:what is "your user account has too tight restrictions on it"? running win7 pro 64 bit.
thanks
If you are using a limited user account. Additionally, security restrictions may be imposed by your internet security software, group policy settings or file system settings.

onehurst

Unread post by onehurst » 2014-05-13, 13:20

tried running as administrator and got same error message. have a "saved e-mail" folder on thunderbird that i wanted to copy.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-13, 14:14

You just have to copy the profile manually from %APPDATA%\Thunderbird to %APPDATA%\FossaMail

To do this:
  1. Make sure FossaMail and Thunderbird are closed
  2. Open an explorer/library window
  3. In the location bar, type in %APPDATA% and press enter (including the percent signs)
  4. Navigate to "Thunderbird" in that folder, select everything there and copy (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C)
  5. Navigate back up, then go to the "FossaMail" folder, and paste (Ctrl+V) overwriting everything.

madriss

Unread post by madriss » 2014-05-15, 20:26

I only just found out about FossaMail and as a lover of Pale Moon I'm excited to try it out now - glad there is still enough interest in Thunderbird for this to be a thing, was beginning to think I'm the only person not on either Gmail or Outlook :lol:

Anyway I just tried this tool with a > 1GB profile and it worked very quickly no problems at all. I then simply installed the 64bit lightning addon from fosshub.com over the top of my old version of lightning, not sure if that was the right/required thing to do but it all seems good :)

palemon

Unread post by palemon » 2014-06-01, 12:01

Thanks for this useful tool, works like a charm :thumbup:

All i needed to do in addition was to update Enigmail from stable to latest nightly, as stable seems not compatible to x64 Fossamail.

1Nighter

Re: Profile Migration tool for FossaMail

Unread post by 1Nighter » 2014-06-04, 16:52

Migrated profile with three mail services. Gmail part of profile at first gave server refused access error; even when mail was sent/received in and out. I saw a couple of variations of this. Now it seems to have stopped. Sorry, I wasn't fast enough to grab the error pop-up screen. I am attaching the only entry in the Error Console:
Attachments
Capture3.JPG

Rocketman

Unread post by Rocketman » 2014-06-15, 17:41

I just tried the FM profile migration tool. It migrated my profile apparently correctly (disregarding the several times I had to click continue. I guess my profile is on the large side) with the exception of Lightning. There's no data in the calendar. Will see if I can resolve this easily.

Edit #1: BTW, does Lightning in FM need the Provider for Google Calendar extension (I have it v0.25)?

Edit #2: Uninstalled/re-installed Lightning & all appears to good now.

PMFan1

Unread post by PMFan1 » 2014-09-19, 18:53

When used the Profile Migration tool, it stopped and I thought it 'hung'. Can you improve it:
1. Read Former Thunderbird Profile...choose user.
2. Display email folders...choose to convert
3. Progress bar for this

Thanks. PMFan1

MogPM

Unread post by MogPM » 2014-11-20, 20:14

Just a note that the Migration Tool worked perfectly for me. It created the destination directory, and copied my small Thunderbird profile (~18MB) over.

(In case there are multiple versions of this tool, I used v1.0.0.3.)