Some suggestions from a possible new Fossamail user...

Development discussions for FossaMail
kovacslt

Some suggestions from a possible new Fossamail user...

Unread post by kovacslt » 2016-02-04, 09:40

Hello,

I am using another mail client, which got outdated, bit obsolete, but still works. There's a new version of it, but I won't upgrade, as I really hate the redesigned UI of the newer version.
So I stuck with the old version.
Few times I tried to switch to Thunderbird, but it felt way too slow compared to my old client in all aspects.
Now I found Fossamail, which is lightning fast compared to TB, and looks as fast as my old client, and I also like the interface.
However, the search function works completely different, which I'm addicted to, and that still prevents me from swicthing.
What I would need is similar to "quick filter" with the option "message body" enabled.
However, if I turn on to search in the message body as well, it results in a much longer list of mails than I expected.
I figured, that's because it searches also in attachments for the substring.
Would it be possible to implement such a search in quickfilter, which would search for a substring in a message body, but only in the text part of it, and not in an attachment, for example a base64 encoded jpeg file -which may contain the substring I'm looking for but is completely irrelevant?
My old client behaves this way, and I really like it, got addicted to it, and would love to keep this functionality.
So if this is possible to implement, please do it! :)
That's the last thing which keeps me away from switching to Fossamail :)

And theres's another thing, which would be awesome: if the built in chat client would support XEP-0280 / XEP-0313.
Wow, that would be really nice!!! :D
Is that possible?

Thank you very much in advance.

Laszlo Kovacs

dark_moon

Re: Some suggestions from a possible new Fossamail user...

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-02-04, 23:05

Welcome to the forum!

Maybe you find this as addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en/thunderbird/search

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2016-02-05, 08:31

Fossamail and Thunderbird are pretty much identical, at least performance wise. How could you find TB slow?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-02-05, 14:33

Because thunderbird is not built with our comple time optimizations nor our Pale Moon shared backend.. Maybe?

kovacslt

Unread post by kovacslt » 2016-02-08, 06:16

Hi again :)

@dark-moon: Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately I was unable to find what I was looking for. "Search as list" looked promising at a first glance, but it still does not what I would like it to do.
However, I'm still evaluating Fossamail.
@Octopuss: I don't do such a comparison every week. The last time I tried TB it was slow. Now I installed a current version (38.3 I think) and gave it a try.
On my powerful desktop there's not much difference. But on my old notebook there is (Win7 32 bit, 3GB RAM, T3200 cpu @ 2GHz).
Starting Fossamail takes about 5 seconds with some addons installed, I already collected. Starting TB takes about 12 seconds, without any addons.
A search (not qucikfilter but real search) takes 3 .. 5 secs with Fossamail. The same search with TB is about the double.
Clicking a mail on the list, and having it open in the preview window with Fossamail looks instant. The same with TB there's a slight delay (not so bad though as I remember).
So TB may have some improvement since I last tried.
I also found that Fossamail takes about 160..180MB of RAM, while TB about 200MB.

I also compared browsers Palemoon and my Opera. I made the swith instantly, now my default browser is Palemoon. That was an easy switch :) (but this is offtopic for a Fossamail forum.)

@Matt A. Tobin: May be. I'm not a developer, I don't know.
What about my suggestion regarding the search method? Is it doable, or do I have to forget it?
Thanks to everyone who responds to my whishes!

Best regards