the perfect Fossamail

Development discussions for FossaMail
nico239

the perfect Fossamail

Unread post by nico239 » 2014-06-09, 16:10

I discover Fossamail.
Excellent idea to create a new mail client
Because none are good.

Now I'm using the most perfect (in my opinion) Foxmail 7.0.93 with gmail imap and seven 64

So if you want to create a really good mail client I think it is necessary to
(some are possible with addons in Thunderbird but why not integrate in the client?)

FIRSTTTTTTTTTT
- preview jpg, png, pdf, word, excel and powerpoint attachments INSIDE the mail window in ONE ONE ONE CLICK (like Foxmail 7.0.93 or Outlook) and NOT in Acrobat or Word ... or a double click and NOT in another tab etc
(bug pdf doesn't work in Fossamail even in double click)
VERY USEFULL in business
Almost ALL EMAILS now have one of these attachments

SECONDDDDD
A good templates creator (like in The Bat or Foxmail 7.0.93 - not excellent in Fox - and better than Axel Grude Template in Th.) which is able to create easily a template for EACH account and for EACH kind of reply, send, transfer
And with macro functions (like in Foxmail 7.0.93) : one of the best is %cursor% because of sending automatic mails and replies

Then
- search and display all email from a sender from all folders and trash folder in ONE CLICK (2 clicks in Foxmail 7.0.93)
- delay for sending mail (like The Bat)
- different ringtone for EACH account
- rearrange imap account order
- rearrange imap folders order
- open or close folders pane with a button (good for small screen laptops)
- good looking characters dimensions (not like in Thunderbird where it is really the jungle)
- possibility to download a selection of attachments (like in Foxmail 7.0.93) and NOT all or one
- adress completion not only on the email but also with the domain
- automatic display of To - CC - BBC (like in Foxmail 7.0.93) that we can use ONLY with tab and not using mouse... (energy for nothing)
- a quick folders toobar (same as quick folders addon from excellent Axel Grude) with drag and drop and renaming (not like Postbox favorites bar : no rename and no drag and drop :D )
- the CHOICE (like in Foxmail 7.0.93) to display one or two lines for mail pane

For the moment I stay on Foxmail 7.0.93 but as soon a REAL PREVIEW of major attachments in ONE CLICK in MAIL WINDOW is possible I use Fossamail

I bought or tried . Mailbird, Foxmail 7.2.5, The Bat Pro, Outlook, Thunderbird 30, EM, Postbox... and many more
I'm still testing TH30, postbox and now Fossamail
Last edited by nico239 on 2014-06-11, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

dark_moon

Re: the perfect Fossamail

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-06-09, 18:32

Welcome to the forum!

FossaMail have support for simple text and pictures previews. This is ok and enough.
If you need more then use addons or programms with can open it.

Its the same with Pale Moon and PDFs. A browser isn't for open pdfs.

FossaMail and PaleMoon have the same power as Thunderbird/ Firefox: A lot of addons.
So search for addons which have this features and use it.

nico239

Unread post by nico239 » 2014-06-09, 18:43

Thanks a lot

If you know an addon for Fossamail to preview pdf, word and excel excactly the same as Outlook or Foxmail 7.0.93 I use it immedialtly

For the moment I only know Thunderbird Conversation( which is quite similar to Foxmail 7.2.5) it opens only pdf but in a tab and not directly in the message pane... and impossible to preview xls or doc

So tell my I'm really very very interested...

With Palemoon it is a little bit different.
Pdf automatically open in a new tab with Xchange and it is excellent

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2014-06-10, 00:20

Hi nico239. Welcome!
nico239 wrote:I discover Fossamail.
word, excel and powerpoint attachments INSIDE the mail window in ONE ONE ONE CLICK (like Foxmail 7.0.93 or Outlook) and NOT in Acrobat or Word ... or a double click and NOT in another tab etc
I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that when you install LibreOffice office suite, it can install a plugin for Mozilla based programs optionally. I don't know if this gonna work since I haven't installed this plugin. Of course, you'd need to install LibreOffice in order to know if this will do the trick. Or you could ask some savvy people out there — probably someone else already tried this before.

Regards.

nico239

Unread post by nico239 » 2014-06-10, 00:36

Ok thanks

I try and ask in Thunderbird french forum

nico239

Unread post by nico239 » 2014-06-11, 15:08

For the moment nobody knows but we are still looking for a solution

I added one feature in the first post
- the CHOICE (like in Foxmail 7.0.93) to display one or two lines for each mail in mail pane

An a precision
- a quick folders toobar (same as quick folders addon from excellent Axel Grude) with drag and drop and renaming (not like Postbox favorites bar : no rename and no drag and drop :D )

nico239

Unread post by nico239 » 2014-08-31, 01:38

up....

no more email client except the 2 ones (Fox 7.0 and Outlook) can display attachments in mail pane..... :cry:

See you in 6 months ...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-31, 13:08

nico239 wrote:no more email client except the 2 ones (Fox 7.0 and Outlook) can display attachments in mail pane..... :cry:
FossaMail displays image attachments in the actual mail pane. You don't even have to click, just scroll down. If attachments aren't shown in-line then verify in your View menu if the option for it is checked.
Inline display of Word or PDF isn't that simple because they are proprietary formats and the Mozilla comm code does not include an in-line decoder or reader for these attachments. You may possibly be able to find a Thunderbird extension that can create a dynamic link to your office software.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

nico239

Unread post by nico239 » 2014-09-01, 14:49

Moonchild wrote: FossaMail displays image attachments in the actual mail pane. You don't even have to click, just scroll down. If attachments aren't shown in-line then verify in your View menu if the option for it is checked
In that case and in my opinion I prefer not scrolling but one click and display in mail pane (like Fxmail).... but this is not very important
But very important display in the dimensions of the mail pane (like Fxmail) and not in full
Moonchild wrote: Inline display of Word or PDF isn't that simple because they are proprietary formats and the Mozilla comm code does not include an in-line decoder or reader for these attachments. You may possibly be able to find a Thunderbird extension that can create a dynamic link to your office software.
You mean that it is forbidden to display word and excel?

No addon that I know is able to display pdf in mail pane

Parsifal

Unread post by Parsifal » 2014-09-01, 15:28

nico239 wrote:
Moonchild wrote: Inline display of Word or PDF isn't that simple because they are proprietary formats and the Mozilla comm code does not include an in-line decoder or reader for these attachments. You may possibly be able to find a Thunderbird extension that can create a dynamic link to your office software.
You mean that it is forbidden to display word and excel?

No addon that I know is able to display pdf in mail pane
It's forbidden by the technology limitations of Mozilla comm as Moonchild stated. If no addon you know is able to display pdf in mail panel it is for the same reasons I guess, but not sure. After all, concerning PDF files, there is an addon, PDF Viewer, available for Pale Moon/Firefox browsers, so one can imagine it be made available for FossaMail/Thunderbird one of these days.

You insist on the advantage of inline display of pdf and Word documents, you mention that this is a real advantage for business. Certainly is, but perhaps business relies on more advanced email solutions than those provided by traditional more or less family email clients. FossaMail is better IMO than Thunderbird because its aim was -- is -- to optimize Mozilla's client, and that includes rather a fitness regime than a fattening one. I don't believe what you are searching for concerning email clients is what FossaMail or Thunderbird are leading to. But who ever knows.

nico239

Unread post by nico239 » 2014-09-01, 16:01

You see what I want is very simple

display pdf, word, excel in mail pane like Outlook
html creator like The Bat
quick like many (Postbox, EM... Th)
mail on 2 lines like many

If you know a business solution tell me
For the moment I use the old Fxmail

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-01, 23:06

The bottom line is that you seem to want specific functionality that is available in FoxMail but that is not present in FossaMail. You may want to look into the array of extensions available for FossaMail/Thunderbird to give you that functionality, but there's no guarantee that anything will be available. If you can't live without the functions you refer to, then your option would be to use FoxMail.

Since Outlook is a Microsoft product, of course it will be able to display Microsoft documents by linking to Microsoft components.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

nico239

Unread post by nico239 » 2014-09-01, 23:32

Ok thank you