Official FossaMail build instructions?

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
maxthest

Official FossaMail build instructions?

Unread post by maxthest » 2016-06-25, 21:29

Hello developers and contributors of FossaMail. I am looking for official instructions on how to build FossaMail and it’s Lightning extension. The reason I ask is that I want to tailor my personal build of FossaMail for my system architecture (-march=native and such). I also use Arch Linux and I created a PKGBUILD script for it. I was able to compile my own FossaMail and Lightning using the PKGBUILD and runs without any hicks (currently using it as my email, calendar and feed client). I want to submit it to the Arch Linux User Repository (AUR) for convenience of other users however I was informed by a package maintainer that the FossaMail build set up is different from how Mozilla projects are built. I have been looking for official build instructions but the closest thing I have come to instructions is this page and the README.md on the FossaMail github project does not specify any build instructions. I would like to know the build setup that FossaMail uses so that I can set up the PKGBUILD similar to it.

You view my PKGBUILD here.

Thank you for any help you can provide. :)
Last edited by maxthest on 2016-06-27, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Official FossaMail build instructions

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-06-25, 22:24

It doesn't quite exist yet. It is similar to how Pale Moon is build though because it shares the Platform code. Cross reference the wiki page with what is in about:buildconfig for the generic release we make. (about:buildconfig can be access from Troubleshooting in FossaMail). Follow how we do it and test, test, test and you should be fine.

maxthest

Re: Official FossaMail build instructions

Unread post by maxthest » 2016-06-25, 23:44

Matt A Tobin wrote:It doesn't quite exist yet. It is similar to how Pale Moon is build though because it shares the Platform code. Cross reference the wiki page with what is in about:buildconfig for the generic release we make. (about:buildconfig can be access from Troubleshooting in FossaMail). Follow how we do it and test, test, test and you should be fine.
I did look at the about:buildconfig in the FossaMail pre-built binaries and set up my mozconfig around that, as well as numerous testing to get it to build and properly link. I also enforced SSE2 as FossaMail seems to require it. The only thing that bothers me is that --enable-jemalloc is set but when I check using ldd and namcap (an Arch Linux tool for checking packages) it does not report any linking to libjemalloc.so but I guess it can be safely ignored since FossaMail runs anyway. I am also not sure what FossaMail uses for audio support as it is not listed on the configure arguments

I looked at the build instructions for Pale Moon prior to writing the build script. I used make -f client.mk build and make package similar how the Wiki page describes and it seems to compile fine and the binaries seem to run properly. I tried using ./mozilla/mach build at the root source directory but it always fails after building. This is actually a known issue when building Thunderbird. I am not sure what FossaMail uses to build but so far the makefile does the job for me.