Questions about Fossamail and Lightning

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
m_hamilton

Questions about Fossamail and Lightning

Unread post by m_hamilton » 2014-12-18, 15:07

Hello Everybody,

I am a newcomer to using Pale Moon, Fossamail and Lightning. I am using the current 32 bit versions, my OS is Windows 7x64. I have some questions about Lightning and calendars which I could not answer searching the net. Ok, here we go:

[1] Publishing a calendar using a webdav location
I can successfully publish my calendar to a webdav location. When I do that, I am presented a dialog which asks for username and password. The dialog does not contain a checkbox to tell Lightning to use the password manager to remember the credentials. The password manager itself works because Fossamail is using it all the time to access my email accounts. So what's wrong here? I really do not want to have to enter my credentials every time the calendar is updated.

[2] When does a published calendar get updated?
Is there a way to automatically update a published calendar? Or do I have to manually initiate a "Publish" every time I change something in my calendar? That would make the whole "Publish" feature pretty much useless.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Markus

m_hamilton

Re: Questions about Fossamail and Lightning

Unread post by m_hamilton » 2014-12-19, 03:41

Just in case anybody else is interested ... I figured it out and here is what I found:

The following findings apply to the Fossamail edition of Lightning (version 25.0.0).

"Publishing a calendar" is a "one time" process, it is done when requested and that's it. This process is not supported by the password manager, so if you publish to e.g. a webdav server, you have to enter your credentials every time you publish. In one sentence: publishing a calendar creates a copy of a local calendar on a network server.

To actually "share" a calendar, you start with publishing a calendar. Then you subscribe to the calendar you just published and when you do that, the dialog for entering your credentials contains a checkbox to remember userid and password (via password manager). After subscribing to the calendar you just published, you delete the original calendar. Now your local calendar is gone but continues to live on a network server. You can now share that calendar with other users. All other users just have to do the "subscribe" step and then you can actually share a calendar. Once you have subscribed to a calendar, you can set the sync rate within its properties. The sync rate can be as fast as "every minute".

Sharing a calendar which resides e.g. on a webdav server enables multiple users to modify one and the same calendar! This can be dangerous but it also can be a terrific advantage. My wife and I both have a personal calendar and in addition we share another calendar which allows us to show certain events to each other (which we put into the shared calendar) without cluttering each others calendars. Perfect!

All calendars reside on our home server (Debian Linux / Apache Web Server) so they can be accessed from any device in the home network.

If you have a question regarding shared calendars, let me know. I'll be glad to help.

Markus