fossamail won't install on vista 32 bit

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
Limbo

fossamail won't install on vista 32 bit

Unread post by Limbo » 2014-08-20, 09:21

if I try to install fossamail on Windows Vista 32 bit I get the following message;
Sorry, FossaMail can't be installed. This version of FossaMail requires Microsoft Windows Vista or newer.
Windows Vista Ultimate, 32-bit, Service Pack 2
FossaMail-24.7.0.win32.installer

:?
I tried the same 32 bit installer on my 64 bit machine (same OS as above just 64-bit) and it seemed to work okay and didn't give me that message.

mikeysc

Re: fossamail won't install on vista 32 bit

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-08-20, 19:29

FWIW, I am using Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2, and the install worked fine for me.

I hadn't yet updated to Fossamail 24.7. 24.6 had not notified me of any updates and I do not see a setting in options for program updates, just addons. I would have checked about:config or equivalent if there is a way to do that but since there is no URL bar, I can't get there. And no FM profile folder in the Roaming/MoonChild folder where PM profile is. Manual update is OK, I just kind of expected it would at least check for new versions. The release notes link in help menu is broken (404). I d'led 24.6 from FossHub and saw that 24.7 is there but the d/l link just sent me in circles at first, but it did d/l when I right clicked and saved.

Limbo

Re: fossamail won't install on vista 32 bit

Unread post by Limbo » 2014-08-21, 04:03

I figured I would try the 24.6 installer and see if that works, but it was quite difficult to find.
after lots of searching I managed to get a copy of 24.6 from some russian website. before running it though I thought I would give the 24.7 installer another go, and the damn thing worked this time. :!:

both the 24.6 and 24.7 installer work on vista 32 bit.

so there must have been something screwy going on with that computer yesterday. :oops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85xwZ_OLX0