[gr] Pale Moon 24.* language pack

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
hel86

[gr] Pale Moon 24.* language pack

Unread post by hel86 » 2014-06-21, 19:57

First of all, hello to all! This is my very first post in Pale Moon forum!

I am a Greek student and I have been using Pale Moon for a while, especially after the implementation of "Australis" in Firefox.
So, since there is no Greek language pack for Pale Moon, I thought I could help with the translation of Pale Moon in Greek.

After a quick search in the forum, I found this useful link: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2023&p=11706&hilit=localization+instructions#p11706.
However, I do not know how to properly edit the .dtd and .properties files and save them as UTF-8.
So, I hoped you could provide me with more information on how to do it.

I hope the translation procedure is not extremely difficult, since I am not really "tech-savvy".
Thanks in advance for your help.

SvenG

Re: [gr] Pale Moon 24.* language pack

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-06-21, 21:11

Open the respective files with a Texteditor and do your translations. As they are already UTF-8 encoded, they should stay UTF-8 encoded when you save them unless you change the encoding, so simply don't change it.

If you are on Windows I would recommend using Notepad++
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ (free and powerful)
On Linux most default texteditors (like gEdit on Gnome/Ubuntu oder Kate on KDE) should do.

Better not use Microsoft Word, Open Office Writer or similar programs, they could in theory do it as well but they tend to bork it.

hel86

Unread post by hel86 » 2014-06-22, 11:20

Thank you for your immediate response to my question and your helpful advice!

hel86

Unread post by hel86 » 2014-06-22, 14:59

I am uploading the modified files. I hope everything is OK.
Attachments
palemoon.dtd
(3.85 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
palemoon-statusbar-locale-gr.zip
(4.14 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-23, 10:13

Thanks for your work! Unfortunately, there is no Greek base language pack for the Firefox code to draw from, so I can't do anything with the palemoon.dtd

I've integrated the status bar localization though, so it'll be ready when a Greek language pack for the core browser becomes available.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

hel86

Unread post by hel86 » 2014-06-23, 17:59

Moonchild wrote:Thanks for your work! Unfortunately, there is no Greek base language pack for the Firefox code to draw from, so I can't do anything with the palemoon.dtd

I've integrated the status bar localization though, so it'll be ready when a Greek language pack for the core browser becomes available.
You are welcome!
There is something I do not understand, though. Since Firefox is available in Greek, why is there no Greek base language pack? :?:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-23, 18:10

hel86 wrote:
Moonchild wrote:Thanks for your work! Unfortunately, there is no Greek base language pack for the Firefox code to draw from, so I can't do anything with the palemoon.dtd

You are welcome!
There is something I do not understand, though. Since Firefox is available in Greek, why is there no Greek base language pack? :?:
Firefox was not available in Greek for v24, which is the string set valid for Pale Moon's base UI. Later versions of Firefox may have introduced Greek, but the string set is not valid for Pale Moon (and likely missing a bunch of things because of removed features). You can have a look and compare the language packs of Firefox and Pale Moon, and see if you can come up with a complete pack for Pale Moon (probably needs additional strings). That would be much appreciated.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

hel86

Unread post by hel86 » 2014-06-24, 07:15

Moonchild wrote:
hel86 wrote:

You are welcome!
Firefox was not available in Greek for v24, which is the string set valid for Pale Moon's base UI. Later versions of Firefox may have introduced Greek, but the string set is not valid for Pale Moon (and likely missing a bunch of things because of removed features). You can have a look and compare the language packs of Firefox and Pale Moon, and see if you can come up with a complete pack for Pale Moon (probably needs additional strings). That would be much appreciated.
Are you completely sure Firefox was not available in Greek for v24? I mean, I have been using Firefox for years before v24 (since v4 or v5, if my memory isn't at fault) and Firefox has always been available in Greek.
Anyway, though I would really like to do what you propose, I am afraid I don't have the technical skills required.
I hope I don't bother you with my questions.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-06-24, 08:02

Not sure if this is the right one but there is Greek for version 24
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... /versions/

melwdos

Unread post by melwdos » 2014-10-14, 09:38

Good morning
until the series v24 I had Greek menu with a conversion I did in about: config
now sadly not with my v25 accepts
the changes made will vrite in forum http://www.teamgr.gr/index.php?option=c ... d=314#8073

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-14, 11:26

SvenG wrote:Not sure if this is the right one but there is Greek for version 24
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... /versions/
There is no greek language pack or localization that is part of the Mozilla l10n - you will not find it on the Mozilla FTP and those are the language packs I have drawn from for the Pale Moon language packs.

if it is an independent addon that introduces Greek, not part of Mozilla l10n, then you need to fork that language pack and update it for Pale Moon 25.