Pale Moon v24 localization strings

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon v24 localization strings

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-12, 07:43

Lobo, maybe you can have a look at the following attachment and fix any leftover English strings in it, at least that would fix all preferences window strings in Pale Moon.
Attachments
preferences_es-MX.zip
(13.88 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-09-12, 19:40

Moonchild wrote:I just had a look at the es-MX Firefox language pack, there's a lot more there that isn't translated at all, at least in the beta langpacks I've used (although most of the features they are for, are from earlier Firefox versions)...

So I gather Mozilla doesn't have a designated es-MX translator at the moment :P
The ones I found are shown to the user as I checked all the tabs, windows and buttons. Maybe I passed some other but well, this will be checked later when I came back from Limbo.

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2013-09-12, 19:42

Could this Preferences' untranslated strings situation affect other languages as well?
Portuguese translator of Pale Moon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-12, 21:12

tribaljet wrote:Could this Preferences' untranslated strings situation affect other languages as well?
Possibly, it all depends on how complete Mozilla's language packs/localized versions of Firefox are...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Yodli

Unread post by Yodli » 2013-09-19, 21:08

Here are the hungarian (hu-HU) localization strings (also for the status bar) for Pale Moon v24.
Attachments
palemoon_hu-HU.dtd
(2.53 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
palemoon-statusbar-locale-hu-HU.zip
(3.14 KiB) Downloaded 165 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-20, 12:31

Thanks Yodli! I'll update the hu language pack today, and the status bar strings will be included in the next Pale Moon point release.

LeonSK

Unread post by LeonSK » 2013-09-28, 13:30

Russian:
Attachments
palemoon (ru-RU).dtd
(3.5 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-28, 14:12

LeonSK wrote:Russian:
Thanks! language pack updated :)

bovirus

Pale Moon v24 localization strings - Italian

Unread post by bovirus » 2013-11-07, 13:04

Hi.

I attached the strings for italian language.

Pelase confirm when italian language will be updated (now is showed as complete but is not true - the v24 strings are not in place).

Thanks.
Attachments
palemoon_it.zip
Pale Moon v24 - Italian language strings
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon v24 localization strings - Italian

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-08, 14:51

bovirus wrote:Hi.
I attached the strings for italian language.
Thanks for your submission. It seems you've made an entirely new translation, however, the IT strings were already translated.

I compared both, your new one uses completely different words than what was originally submitted (and your text has spelling errors (3 z's in a row isn't correct, I think...) and some white space problems).
I also don't know enough Italian to know which is better.

Attached the comparison, differences marked in red. Please go through it and explain which phrasing is better and why?
Attachments
lang_it1.png

bovirus

Unread post by bovirus » 2013-11-08, 15:31

I downloaded latest version of Pale Moon but the Status bar menu and options are not translated.

Report about file.

I didn't touch the abbreviation key because I didn't know if I can do it.
If I can do it the proposals for abbreviatons are OK.

"Mostra" is not right in italian - should be "Visualizza"
"LinK" is not italian. It's english. In italian is "collegamento".

"Quickdial" in italian is "Compisizone rapisa" but I didn't know the meaning/context of "Quickdial page".
The actual translation sound as "New page".

"smooth scrool" is it equivalent to "continuous scroll"?
Because the translation that you have is for "continuous scroll".

Thanks. Bye.

bovirus

Unread post by bovirus » 2013-11-19, 16:28

The new version (24.1.2) has again the Status bar menu/options in english.
Could you pelase update the italian language with all new strings that should be already translated.
I didn't have any answer about my proposals (links as current in italian is not italian but it's english...)
Thanks. Bye.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-20, 01:08

@bovirus
As already explained in e-mail to you, the status bar features are not part of the language packs.

A separate thread has been created in this board for the status bar specific localization - you can request/submit IT there.

As for the main language pack, at this point I will need someone native in Italian to properly proofread both proposals and create a new set of core strings, as there is too much difference between what is currently available and what is suggested by you.

bovirus

Unread post by bovirus » 2013-11-20, 08:01

I'm native italian (I'm living in Milan - Italy)....

And also I'm the official translator for many freeware/shareware software s (ex. Avant Browser / SlimBrowser / Filezilla / EZ CD Audio Converter / MKVToolNix / Total Comamnder /DVDFab softwares / VSO softwares / at many others).

Could you help to identify the specifc thread for status bar translation?

I didn't udnerstand why you have to leave About window in english.
All sofwtare tramnslated also About window., because a software that has natibve part in english seems partially translated.

Why cannot translate ex.

Version -> Versione
PaleMoon is released by -> PaleMoon è realizzata da
Testers and native supporet -> Tester e suupporto nativo
Special thanks to: -> Un ringraziamento speciale a:
Licensing information -> Informazioni sulla licenza
End-user rights -> Diritti utente finale
Release Noets -> Note sulle release

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-20, 13:24

bovirus wrote:I'm native italian (I'm living in Milan - Italy)....

And also I'm the official translator for many freeware/shareware software s (ex. Avant Browser / SlimBrowser / Filezilla / EZ CD Audio Converter / MKVToolNix / Total Comamnder /DVDFab softwares / VSO softwares / at many others).
I didn't mean to discredit anyone - just saying what would be the preferred way of going about improving the translation.
I've corrected a typo in your translation ("organizzzo") and will use these strings for a language pack update.
bovirus wrote:Could you help to identify the specifc thread for status bar translation?
Same board as this thread: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3429
bovirus wrote:I didn't udnerstand why you have to leave About window in english.
A few reasons, some I have already explained above:
  • Any links and information from the "About" box will point to English pages.
  • The language packs are available as a convenience for use. Pale Moon is, at its heart, an English language product. It would be a different story if I were to provide natively translated installers of the browser.
  • Although I can internationalize the About box as well, I choose not to. Among other things to prevent confusion about who develops the browser.
  • Having an About box that is consistent regardless of what extensions you install into the browser is important IMHO.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-20, 14:04

I've updated the IT language pack on the website now.

bovirus

Unread post by bovirus » 2013-11-20, 14:08

Thanks. Please apply the new language pack to new release.

I just downloaded the it.XPI (I will retry later) but after apply the new language pack (loading the file and restart PaleMoon) tha status bar is not translated.

Is it right?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-20, 14:12

As I told you before, the status bar options and texts are not part of the main language pack. This is because the status bar features are supplied in an add-on like fashion (with its own set of language files).
I've been planning to unify the status bar with the browser and split out the localization strings, but I simply haven't gotten around to that yet - it's rather involved to do, and there's only so much a single person can do to a free browser at any one time ;)

bovirus

Unread post by bovirus » 2013-11-20, 15:15

I posted in the status bar language thread my proposal for italian language.

Yodli

Unread post by Yodli » 2014-09-17, 16:12

Here are the updated hungarian (hu-HU) localization strings :coffee:
Attachments
palemoon.dtd
hungarian (hu-HU) localization strings
(2.6 KiB) Downloaded 60 times