Pinned tabs' size

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Octopuss

Pinned tabs' size

Unread post by Octopuss » 2015-02-14, 11:15

Would it be possible to make pinned tabs larger? Currently they shrink so much it gets annoying to try clicking on them. Couldn't they shrink only by like 50% of normal size, and possibly be highlighted with either some sort of outline or a background colour (configurable even)?

SvenG

Re: Pinned tabs' size

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-02-14, 11:59

Easiest is to use userChrome.css. For an outline that would be

Code: Select all

.tabbrowser-tab[pinned="true"] {
  border: 1px solid red !important;
  border-bottom: none !important;
}
for a different size

Code: Select all

.tabbrowser-tab[pinned="true"] {
  width: 30px !important;
}
Just change the values to your liking. Highly flexible and already available. To make it a little more comfortable you could also use the Stylish extension.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2015-02-14, 19:28

What do I do with the .css file?

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-02-14, 20:08

1. open your profile folder.
2. create a directory name "chrome" (without the quotes)
3. create a plain text file and name it "userChrome.css" (dito)
4. in the first line you define the namespace:
5. add one of the code pieces posted earlier and adjust it to your liking
6. restart Pale Moon

Altenative:
1. install the Stylish extension mentioned above
2. create a new style
3. define the namespace:
4. add one of the code pieces posted earlier and adjust it to your liking (you can use the preview here, so no need to guess what it might look like)
5. save (no need to restart Pale Moon)

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-02-14, 20:39

For those that are less familiar with locating and editing userchrome.css (as well as usercontent.css and user.js), or for those looking for a quick and easy editor specifically for these files I can recommend ChromEdit extension. It works great with Pale Moon, is user profile aware (works with currently active UP), allows the files to be edited with PM open and provides a Restart button which is very handy.

Hopefully some of you will find it to be of value as well.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2015-02-14, 22:12

Thank you, the simple file seems to work well enough.

What is Chrome stuff doing in Firefox though? :shock:

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-02-14, 23:20

Octopuss wrote:What is Chrome stuff doing in Firefox though?
Don't confuse the 2. The word "chrome" refers to the "skin" (what the UI looks like). The browser named Chrome came along after these files were named.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2015-02-15, 08:44

Oh lol. Well that IS confusing as hell.

Btw the outline doesn't work too well, instead of just creating a border around the tab, it moves the text up a little and generally looks bad. That's a bit of a letdown. I already increased the size to 120px, but would like some other way of quickly being able to identify a pinned tab. I don't know jack shit about css and coding though.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-02-15, 09:20

You can use the gecko addon Stylish too. Its easy and have a lot of website skins from other users.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-02-15, 09:51

Octopuss wrote:I don't know jack shit about css and coding though.
Learn a bit, you really need to learn just a bit :)

There are very nice sites about CSS like
http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp
things like changing backgrounds, outlines and stuff are not very complicated, the technically hardest part is always to find a matching selector, that's what you already have (the code outside of the brackets), you only need to change the actual style (the code within the brackets).

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2015-02-15, 10:57

Thanks. I'll probably look into it at some point when I'm not busy playing Farming Simulator or Heroes & Generals :D