Palemoon for Android?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
osaeed

Palemoon for Android?

Unread post by osaeed » 2012-04-25, 21:42

Moderator note: This thread is outdated and no longer applies to the current state of things. Please go to viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4964

After trying out Firefox on Android, it was not a terrible experience at all. However, I am curious to know if Palemoon devs have any plans to bring Palemoon browser to Android? I am sure it will run much faster than Firefox Mobile

Is the difficulty because of porting to an ARM processor?

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Thank you!

lyceus

Re: Palemoon for Android?

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-04-26, 04:09

osaeed wrote:After trying out Firefox on Android, it was not a terrible experience at all. However, I am curious to know if Palemoon devs have any plans to bring Palemoon browser to Android? I am sure it will run much faster than Firefox Mobile

Is the difficulty because of porting to an ARM processor?

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Thank you!
Heh! I have an Android tablet and asked for the same question sometime to Moonchild. LOL! :mrgreen: No, sadly Pale Moon is only for Windows, since is a stable code for optimize. Sadly, if you heard the news, several developers have bad times making apps for Android, since there are lots of hardware models to support: Different screens, processors, memory, sensors (wifi, 3G, accelerometer), etc, etc.

The trouble is not port Pale Moon for ARM processor, but for tune it for all the hardware around. That need real tests in real hardware. One game app maker said that they need to support more than 30 versions of their games and always a new device breaks the code. So for the moment I dunno that Pale Moon will be in more Os than Windows and Linux (through Wine).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-04-26, 17:28

Actually, there are no current or future plans to port Pale Moon over to any other platform. Pale Moon is strictly for Windows Operating Systems, an nothing else: no Mac, no Android, no native Linux, no OS/2, etc. - and this will not change.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-04-27, 03:56

Oh you Windows fanboi :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-04-27, 08:36

stravinsky wrote:Oh you Windows fanboi :D
Let me quote something here:
Wikipedia wrote:Net Applications has estimated global desktop market share of Windows 92.2%, Apple 6.36%, Linux 1.41%.
Do I want to develop a non-mainstream browser on different platforms for a combined total of 7.8% of users globally? That would almost be like making a commissioned build for a classroom full of people ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

osaeed

Unread post by osaeed » 2012-05-10, 01:24

Moonchild wrote:
Let me quote something here:
Wikipedia wrote:Net Applications has estimated global desktop market share of Windows 92.2%, Apple 6.36%, Linux 1.41%.
Do I want to develop a non-mainstream browser on different platforms for a combined total of 7.8% of users globally? That would almost be like making a commissioned build for a classroom full of people ;)
Aha! I understand. Its better to focus on Windows since they are more users than any other operating system.

Thank you for your wonderful software!

Have a great day!