Title bar title in PM 24.3

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
JBGood

Title bar title in PM 24.3

Unread post by JBGood » 2014-01-28, 15:26

Pale Moon 24.3 is a great update. I most appreciate the Improvement of UI consistency.

Concerning the Title bar, I understand many users must have wished that the title be brought back, and therefore this has been implemented in PM 24.3

Is there a setting in about:config that allows to enable/disable this feature (I happen to dislike anything in the Title bar!) ?

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Title bar title in PM 24.3

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-28, 15:39

No, there is no setting in about:config to control this.

It's not just the fact that it was a desired feature, the fact is that having a title in a title bar is a standard windows convention! It's called "title bar". Why do you think that is? ;-)

If you want to remove it, add the following to userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

#main-window::after {
opacity: 0 !important;
}
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2014-01-28, 15:51

Would it be possible to add this an option in Pale Moon Commander?
Granted, adding two/three lines of code isn't that big of a task, but it'd be a bit easier to switch from a user perspective. Also, it may cut down on the number of times you're asked how to do this for the next 6-9 months.

I'm not a big user of editing userChrome.css, so if months down the road something is acting weird regarding the titlebar, I'll likely have forgotten I've edited that file manually on only one of the five machines I use PM on.

Thanks

JBGood

Unread post by JBGood » 2014-01-28, 15:53

Thanks Moonchild.

I'm not saying title in Titlebar has no sens, but it may also be meaningful to have it off and, after all, Pale Moon prior to 24.3 had it off.

Anyway, in my PM interface, I have moved the Menu Button down to the Bookmarks toolbar with Movable Firefox Button add-on and lifted the Tab Bar upwards with Tabs Always in Titlebar add-on (several pixels from the browser top edge), meaning that starting 3 tabs opened the title is masked. All this for IMO space optimization.

Thanks for the code.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-28, 16:51

@JBgood: I don't see why it would be meaningful to have it off. "I've gotten used to a big empty space in my browser, unlike all my other applications" is not really an argument ;)
So IMO it's very much something that would be meaningful to always have, and if you don't want it, you can edit the chrome style/skin. if you make custom changes otherwise to the UI that go beyond normal customization (like you have) then you can expect to have to make additional changes to userChrome to deal with anything that goes beyond "Firefox" that add-ons you use to accomplish this are made for.

@eskaton: Pale Moon Commander deals with application preferences only, it does not mess with the Browser Chrome. And I'd like to keep it that way.

The way the title is added is with an ::after pseudo-element, adding the element after any other code there may be (and as such never interferes with other elements by definition); it actually does not change anything else in the title bar. This is why I found the chosen solution by TSS on userstyles.org that I based this on so elegant and useful, and perfectly safe otherwise.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

JBGood

Unread post by JBGood » 2014-01-28, 17:30

Moonchild, I'l state my truth this way :

I believe the Title bar itself is a lost of screen space. I think it was acceptable when tabs (and Tab Bar) were not yet developed in earlier browsers, hence the "Title Bar" which, indeed, included the title. Pure logic.

I think Firefox started a compromise with the "Menu Button" and tabs on top, but why a compromise ? Have the Menu Button as a button on a toolbar is more rational than having it occupy half the height and perhaps 1/32 of the width. It is on this basis that title in Title bar is, IMO, a yes and no solution. Depends how you manage that Title bar.

Every user has his approach, of course. Here I like to optimize screen space without lost of clarity : no point gaining 2 pixels if the result makes it hard on the eye. But I dislike 90% of a bar space unused, it is nonsense IMO.

And, as always, I'd be quite a character to consider I am right :) I think as we all do perhaps that having the choice is a very nice declination of liberty. Mozilla started that way, then seemed influenced by a surprising authoritarianism in terms of layout, and then came in (I joined at that time) Pale Moon. And Pale Moon Commander to ease direct access to more of those options we love.

So, that's it :)

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2014-01-28, 18:40

I actually like to have the title window in the title bar. So thanks Moon Child. In my humble opinion, the title bar has two distinct benefits :
– Show the full title, not just a truncated one as seen in the tabs.
– Give a handle to allow one to move windows around. When tabs are extended into the title bar, it becomes very hard to grab a window and move it.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

marena

Unread post by marena » 2014-01-29, 13:01

Thanks for bringing title back, Moonchild. It looked a little weird at first, because my Pale Moon shows title centered and bold, while all other program show it left aligned, normal weight. But thanks to your userChrome.css hack it was easy to correct it - these css rules made the change (and other customizations like font size/color/family will probably work, too):

text-align: left !important;
font-weight: normal !important;
}

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-29, 15:21

marena wrote:other customizations like font size/color/family will probably work, too
Yes, they will -- this is why I chose this method to bring the title back, it's an elegant solution and easy to manipulate if required.

Sphinx

Unread post by Sphinx » 2014-01-30, 14:13

Having the title bar back doesn't work for my setup.
I have the Personal Titlebar extension and have everything (address bar, quick action buttons, bookmarks toolbar) up on one line and the title was messing it up. (see attachment)

That being said, I know my setup is not the norm and it took all of 1 minute to find the easy solution to my issue. :D
Thanks for posting the fix and for the continued great work! :thumbup:
Attachments
Capture2.PNG

damamm

Unread post by damamm » 2014-01-31, 23:59

Wow, no THAT's an addon I've been longing for! Glad I got to read this message, thanks!
It has always puzzled me why I couldn't put the address bar in the top, to the right of the Menu button. It was pure wasted space, and as much as the Page Title there is an improvement already, placing the address bar (and other stuff) there allows me to rid of the Navigation Toolbar and save page space without losing features or removing a single button/addon!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-01, 01:53

A potential problem with using all space available for controls and "saving all pixels" is that you won't have an easy way to drag the window around on your desktop. If you have the address bar in the title bar area, removing the navigation bar and bookmarks toolbar, what are you going to drag to move the window around? :)

damamm

Unread post by damamm » 2014-02-01, 04:46

I hardly ever use the browser not maximized, but I found it very easy to move it around by dragging any of the empty space left in the -what is it called? HUD?-
Especially below the minimize/maximize/close buttons and between the title bar and bookmarks bar.

but again, I hardly ever use it not maximized, so there's that.
Still, I had to use the userchome edit as well.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-01, 09:31

Most people who use the browser maximized all the time will have tabs on top (to make use of screen edge navigation, Fitts' Law) so Pale Moon caters to that by itself already by hiding the title and placing tabs in the title bar. The userChrome edit is only needed because the add-on you use is changing the user interface and doesn't have code itself to hide the title (since it's not a standard Firefox feature and brand new in Pale Moon). The edit is needed because of a shortcoming of the add-on, and that could be fixed by the add-on developer (incorporating the css code in their extension) without compromise to Firefox functionality.

andrew g

Unread post by andrew g » 2014-02-06, 22:43

Moonchild wrote:No, there is no setting in about:config to control this.

It's not just the fact that it was a desired feature, the fact is that having a title in a title bar is a standard windows convention! It's called "title bar". Why do you think that is? ;-)

If you want to remove it, add the following to userChrome.css:

}
OK. For a neophyte, what is the simplest and safest way to edit this userChrome.css ? A step by step would be nice.

Thanx in advance.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-06, 22:50

andrew g

Unread post by andrew g » 2014-02-08, 18:32

Moonchild wrote:Please see the FAQ:
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3766

Ok, thanx this looks quite straight forward. Except having done some html coding in the past, but not CSS; i am not familiar with the syntax. I notice that aspects of the code are framed by /* */ Does the code you want me to inject below the indicated opening line require this bracketing?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-08, 19:59

/* and */ are comment delimiters. anything between them is ignored by the program.

The example files have a lot of comments as examples what you can do.
For any code to actually take effect you have to make sure it's not between the /* and */ delimiters.

Maybe this clarifies:

/* This is a comment, it's ignored */
/* some {
  opacity: 0;
} */

other {
  opacity:0;
}
"some" will be ignored, "other" will not.
Compare it to HTML <!-- and -->

A resulting userChrome.css file with just this change for the title would be:

/* Do not delete the @namespace line! */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

}

andrew g

Unread post by andrew g » 2014-02-08, 23:04

Thanx Moonchild. That worked. Everything is good now.

I can see the importance of a page title as tabs can be small when pinned and a reference is good to quickly orientate. A suggestion: maybe the page title can be a palette item that can be dragged to any bar and formatted.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-09, 08:42

Even if you don't pin tabs, you can usually at most see just the first word or maybe 2. That's seriously hampering the use of a page title.

Making it a customizable item requires a different approach that has a lot of issues (it's the XUL overlay approach that I tried before that seriously doesn't work).
I'll see if I can enhance Pale Moon Commander to offer the option to switch the title off.