Speed up boot times

Users and developers helping users with technical Pale Moon issues

Moderator: Indalecio

Forum rules
This board is for technical/usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in "technical chat"
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!

Speed up boot times

Unread postby link68759 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:35 am

Does this work with palemoon? If so, how? I thought it would create a process of palemoon.exe that forks to the background, but it just starts and exits.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... preloader/

Are there any other ways to decrease startup time? I have a lot of extensions and it takes roughly 7 seconds from start to finish.
link68759
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: Speed up boot times

Unread postby Trinoc » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:36 pm

I can never understand why programs which people frequently want to keep running in the background (browsers, emailers, etc.) do not have minimizing to the system tray as a standard option.

With Palemoon I use "MinimizeToTray revived" (https://tn123.org/mintrayr/). I use the option to minimize to the tray when I click on close ("[x]"), to prevent me from accidentally shutting it down, but there is the option of only catching the minimize button.

Minimizing on close has an unfortunate "feature" in that if you close a secondary window (often even a pop-up) this ends up minimized to the tray as well, and you can end up with multiple Palemoon icons in the tray. It's annoying, but you can get rid of the extras by right clicking the icon in the tray and selecting "Close window".

I normally start up Palemoon (and Thunderbird) just once on boot-up. If I need the memory they are using for something else they just get swapped out to the page file.
Trinoc
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread postby megaman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:21 pm

I tried this extension, several times, but it hardly works any wonders for me and my 22 add-ons.
I tried Chromium-based browsers with 25 extensions that almost equal the add-ons and features that Palemoon does better, but Chromium-based loads-up in a blink of an eye, regardless of amount of extensions.
Nothing compares to Firefox/Palemoon, to me, but these slow start-ups are a pain.

Trinoc wrote:I can never understand why programs which people frequently want to keep running in the background (browsers, emailers, etc.) do not have minimizing to the system tray as a standard option.
I normally start up Palemoon (and Thunderbird) just once on boot-up. If I need the memory they are using for something else they just get swapped out to the page file.

I have tons of add-ons and tabs that I don't want the browser hogging any of the resources that I use for gaming, so I close the browser. Besides, I use CleanMem and the browser still ends up hogging too much memory and I can't free it even with the CleanMem feature, so I have to close the browser. CleanMem would work similar to Minimize to Tray Revived, but it works manually when I need it (I use it a lot when needed) or automatically in a set time frame. Also, you can do the minimize thing that frees-up memory from the about:config manually.
Curiosity leads to a world of experiments.
megaman
Lunar Warrior
Lunar Warrior

Unread postby Moonchild » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm assuming people are talking about cold starts here (after a fresh reboot)? In that case, 7 seconds is really not strange and about on-par. Cold starts lasting more than 20 seconds should be considered too slow for good measure.

Especially if you are restoring a session with more than a few tabs, startups can take a while.

A warm startup (you've run Pale Moon, closed it down, and starting it up again in the same Windows session) should not take much time unless you've completely flushed your memory from any cached files. If warm starts take a long time, then make sure you are excluding the Pale Moon application and profile folders from AV scanners and the likes as that can slow things down tremendously. Also consider cleaning up your history database once in a while. Once again: a session with a large amount of tabs can take a while even with warm starts, simply because a lot of work needs to be done to reload and re-render the pages.

I personally don't have slow startups of the browser, at all; it's hard for me to reproduce anything in that respect since I don't have, and never had, any slow startup issues. The only relatively slow startup I see is when I load it up on my really crappy 1.4 GHz Atom netbook that has the slowest hard drive in existence ;) But that's to be expected.

EDIT: example timings for me, restoring a 2-window, 12+5 tab session (including Facebook, Twitter, 2 art sites):
----   main   start   startupCDB   StartupCDE   firstPaint   sessionR   createTopLW   firstLoadURI
Warm 31 undef 101 32724 2544 2674 425 2658
Cold 546 530 1045 35615 5226 6052 2574 5460

That's 6 seconds to fully restore my session on cold start, and 2.7 seconds on warm start. Fully loaded and rather dirty profile, 19 add-ons including a few heavyweights like ABP and Firebug. I don't consider that slow.

Of course I'd like to help improve startup times, but I need something to work with first. Specific details about your system, running software and exact situations where slow startups occur (as well as indications of exact startup times, e.g. through https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... t-startup/ ) would help.
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby megaman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:29 pm

No idea what these figures say.
About 6 - 8 seconds on warm.
Edit: My problem is that I have 22 add-ons, excluding this one I am using to test with. Yet, the main reason for using the browser is for the add-ons/features that can't compare to Chromium, so I can't let go.
Attachments
ScreenShot001.jpg
megaman
Lunar Warrior
Lunar Warrior

Unread postby Moonchild » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:48 pm

megaman wrote:No idea what these figures say.

The main (top level) window is created in about 1 second for you - the other 5 are spent initializing the UI (before the first paint event of content). Your add-ons are using the startup time, by the looks of it. Either that or slow hardware initialization for graphics. Hard to tell.

EDIT: by the way: add-ons made using Jetpack/Add-on SDK will add a significant amount of time to startup in many cases because the SDK runtime libraries need to be loaded.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby megaman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Moonchild wrote:The main (top level) window is created in about 1 second for you - the other 5 are spent initializing the UI (before the first paint event of content). Your add-ons are using the startup time, by the looks of it. Either that or slow hardware initialization for graphics. Hard to tell.

I'lll try to get this tested with an SSD or at least an SSHD. My other hardware is too quick to be faltered.
I'll look for similar add-ons that don't rely on Jepack.
megaman
Lunar Warrior
Lunar Warrior

Unread postby Moonchild » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:07 pm

All in all, anything < 10 seconds is certainly nothing to complain about. A modern web browser is a very complex piece of software, more akin to a 3D game than anything else. It just takes time to load up. If you can't spare 10 seconds to load up the browser, then you're way too much in a hurry, IMHO ;)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby megaman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:44 pm

Moonchild wrote:All in all, anything < 10 seconds is certainly nothing to complain about. A modern web browser is a very complex piece of software, more akin to a 3D game than anything else. It just takes time to load up. If you can't spare 10 seconds to load up the browser, then you're way too much in a hurry, IMHO ;)

Yes, that is correct, 3-5 seconds is too slow for me.
Hyper-active and always hoping things show up as fast as I act on them. (I am insane, I know)
Maybe upgrade my processor to a new Steamroller processor, but it still is limited by the HDD, maybe get an SSHD.
Any other tips that could just make the browser load faster without sacrificing my add-ons, that I want, are welcome.

Excluding Palemoon in avast!, to see if that helps.
megaman
Lunar Warrior
Lunar Warrior

Unread postby Rohugh » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:55 pm

megaman wrote:
Moonchild wrote:Excluding Palemoon in avast!, to see if that helps.

Disabling Avast! makes no difference to the speed of loading for me - and that includes the Avast firewall as well. First time load of a different version of PM takes a bit of time whilst Avast! checks it out but after that all is good and speedy.
Desktop:- Windows 7 X64 HP XP1 1TB HD/8GB RAM · Pale Moon 24.4.2 X64 & X86 · Bitdefender Total Security

Laptop:- Windows 8.1 X64 1TB HD/4GB RAM · Bitdefender Windows 8 Security
Rohugh
Lunatic
Lunatic

Next

Return to Community support