Does CCleaner clear Pale Moon's Cache?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Snappy Phoenix

Does CCleaner clear Pale Moon's Cache?

Unread post by Snappy Phoenix » 2013-10-16, 18:52

CCleaner only shows Firefox in the list of programs to clear out stuff, by telling it to clear the Firefox cache is it doing the same thing as clearing the Pale Moon cache or are the folder structure different?

I know I can install CCEnahncer which adds Pale Moon to the list but I am hesitant to do so because when I do, CCleaner takes like 5 seconds to open due to the large list of 3rd party apps that CCEnahncer installs

How do you guys clear your Pale Moon cache? just by running the regular CCleaner or do you also install CCEnahncer?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Does CCleaner clear Pale Moon's Cache?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-10-16, 20:52

Clearing the Pale Moon cache can be done from within Pale Moon, as well, actually.
Personally, I don't recommend constantly clearing the cache, since it thwarts the very reason for it to be there, to begin with - and if you're worried about anything being written to disk for privacy reasons, you'd be better off not using the disk cache at all.

CCleaner will probably need CCEnhancer because Pale moon isn't "main stream" and as such isn't included in CCleaner's "main list".
You can probably manually add Pale Moon as well to CCleaner, though.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Snappy Phoenix

Unread post by Snappy Phoenix » 2013-10-16, 21:04

Moonchild wrote:Clearing the Pale Moon cache can be done from within Pale Moon, as well, actually.
Personally, I don't recommend constantly clearing the cache, since it thwarts the very reason for it to be there, to begin with - and you'd be better off not using the disk cache to begin with.

CCleaner will probably need CCEnhancer because Pale moon isn't "main stream" and as such isn't included in CCleaner's "main list".
You can probably manually add Pale Moon as well to CCleaner, though.
thanks chief

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-10-16, 22:30

As a user of both Pale Moon and CCleaner, I can verify that CCleaner does indeed clear out Pale Moon's cache (without needing CCEnhancer).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-10-16, 22:32

Thanks! I didn't know if it was already added to CCleaner as a core feature or not. so apparently the answer to the OP's question is "yes it does" ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-10-16, 22:42

The only thing is that CCleaner lists it as Firefox (as Matrix Leader said), with the Firefox icon, but it does clean out Pale Moon.

Just to be sure, :) I opened up CCleaner on my wife's computer, went to Applications >> "Firefox" and right-clicked "Internet Cache" and then clicked "clean." It cleaned out 76 megs out of the cache, and in the file path I saw a folder named "Moonchild Productions." So it does work as stated earlier even though it says "Firefox."

Should CCleaner be contacted so they can make it show the Pale Moon icon instead, and say Pale Moon instead of Firefox?
Or is this a case of "better leave well enough alone"?

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-10-16, 23:37

I'd leave well alone! :) CCleaner seems to work happily with Pale Moon either as a "standalone" installation or "with Firefox" installed as well. If you launch CCleaner and look under Tools > Startup > Firefox tab it lists all your Pale Moon and Firefox extensions and plugins separately for each browser.

EDIT: Looks like our own KNTRO has "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" already: see his "Detection of Pale Moon web browser for cleaning" topic on Piriform's forum amongst a good many other Pale Moon mentions. Also Piriform's own "How to clean user data from non-standard Mozilla browsers" info.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-10-17, 00:57

Usually I clean my system and it finds files like were Fire Fox I know that since I never use Fire Fox except for tests and I clean the cache when I finish. Also several folders with "moonchild" in the path can give a clue too. ;)

Snappy Phoenix

Unread post by Snappy Phoenix » 2013-10-17, 09:21

thank you all for the confirmations! Moonchild taught me something new and I thank for him, which is, to NOT clear out the cache as that only slows down things :)

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-10-19, 02:01

Matrix Leader wrote:thank you all for the confirmations! Moonchild taught me something new and I thank for him, which is, to NOT clear out the cache as that only slows down things :)
I need to check if some pages are online or not in a daily basis, so I need to at least remove the cache sometimes in the week just in case. ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-10-19, 03:45

lobocursor wrote: I need to check if some pages are online or not in a daily basis, so I need to at least remove the cache sometimes in the week just in case. ;)
No need to clear the cache for that, just hit Ctrl+F5 (or Ctrl+Shift+R)to bypass the cache for a specific page when you refresh it. That way you won't lose performance on other sites.

Snappy Phoenix

Unread post by Snappy Phoenix » 2013-10-20, 16:12

Moonchild wrote:
lobocursor wrote: I need to check if some pages are online or not in a daily basis, so I need to at least remove the cache sometimes in the week just in case. ;)
No need to clear the cache for that, just hit Ctrl+F5 (or Ctrl+Shift+R)to bypass the cache for a specific page when you refresh it. That way you won't lose performance on other sites.
true, that's my fav command