Social integration included in PM 24?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
access2godzilla

Social integration included in PM 24?

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2013-09-13, 17:32

It seems that the social integration has been included in PM 24, under Add-ons > Services.
Why is this so?

(BTW, PM 24 seems to be really fast and snappy. And it's faster than Chrome.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Social integration included in PM 24?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-13, 17:54

Social integration is an option in Pale Moon for people who really, really, really want it.
The entire social API is, however, disabled by default.

Because the potential support is there for people who insist, the UI caters to this support. So, the Add-ons -> Services tab is there, but unless you enable the API through about:config -> social.enabled, nothing will ever be shown under services.

Consider it similar to the built-in PDF viewer: it's available for people who really want it, but completely disabled by default.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

critter

Unread post by critter » 2013-09-14, 12:49

"So, the Add-ons -> Services tab is there"

Is there any way to get rid of it?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-14, 13:47

You can probably hide it through userChrome.css - maybe BlackLab can help with that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-09-14, 14:02

Sadly not yet! :( Tried the CSS script suggested in a mozillaZine topic on the subject - but no joy! :thumbdown: I didn't troubleshoot - so if it works for you - or you find another script that does - please post here!
Hooray! :thumbup: Just tried the-edmeister's suggested script again using Stylish (via "Write New Style" button):

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url("about:addons") {
#category-service { display:none!important; }
}
...and lo it worked! No idea what happened when I tried it previously? :oops:

critter

Unread post by critter » 2013-09-16, 00:32

Does not work unless you are using Stylish and then it leaves a Stylish tab in add-ons
so you are just trading one thing that should not be there for another,
I would like to just remove it altogether if possible

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-09-16, 04:19

Thanks Blacklab! It works with Stylish (i don't test this without the addon)

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2013-09-16, 08:21

Moonchild wrote:Social integration is an option in Pale Moon for people who really, really, really want it.
The entire social API is, however, disabled by default.
Moonchild, why don't you remove it (and the PDF viewer as well)? After all, that's why we use PM: we don't want those extra features!

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2013-09-16, 09:55

access2godzilla wrote:Moonchild, why don't you remove it (and the PDF viewer as well)? After all, that's why we use PM: we don't want those extra features!
I think you're right, most PM users don't want it but some will, for those that don't want it the fact that it's disabled by default means it will have no impact on them, IMHO the others should at least have the option to use it if they want.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-16, 10:46

The social API hooks into the browser UI in many places, and yanking it out completely is likely going to cause a lot of issues. I've already had a taste of that when removing Panorama, so I'll have to be careful (and being careful means it will take time). It's on my to-do list though; one thing at a time. With the code base of v24 being a solid base for a much longer time, I can look into this, although some things depend on how much of a load it is. When disabled, it should have 0 impact on the browser.

The PDF viewer is something I will leave in, for the simple reason that it is a big convenience if you for whatever reason cannot get or install a proper PDF viewer on your system. For emergencies, i.e. needing a quick way to view the basics of a PDF when you can't or don't have the time to download and install a separate viewer.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-09-16, 11:11

steviem1 wrote:I think you're right, most PM users don't want it but some will, for those that don't want it the fact that it's disabled by default means it will have no impact on them, IMHO the others should at least have the option to use it if they want.
I'm in agreement with you. I'm one of those who doesn't need or want the Social API and I'm glad to see it isn't enabled by default in Pale Moon. But there are some people who, when not on their computers, have their faces buried in their smartphones refreshing Facebook or doing Twitter many times during the day and night.

Unlike Firefox, Pale Moon gives people a choice. So I think it's a good compromise.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-09-16, 15:08

critter wrote:(Sadly the-edmeister's suggested CSS script to remove the Services tab)... Does not work unless you are using Stylish and then it leaves a Stylish tab in add-ons so you are just trading one thing that should not be there for another,
Script then works as expected without needing to use the Stylish Add-on! :thumbup: Learn something new every day! :D

BTW - The ChromEdit Plus 2.9.10 Add-on has a tab that gives very quick access to Profile's "userContent.css" file too. :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2013-09-16, 15:23

I don't mind the social api being there but disabled hence not loaded into memory until needed. My sources tell me that it is possible many sites eventually will take advantage of said feature but until it is relevant it is disabled unless needed now. If it gets broad usage I am sure it being enabled by default will be reconsidered. As for it's complete removal that is a highly complex procedure but it would be considered if eventually no one ever took advantage of it.

As for jsPDF I don't want it removed. It finally eliminates the need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed which seems always has some security issue at any given time and it doesn't have to invoke the ancient NS4 plugin code to fill your memory up more.

Least that is the feeling I get from MC based on his posts and Pale Moon's core mission statement.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-09-16, 16:16

@mattatobin and all other users which need a pdf viewer which is 200% better then the crap from Adobe :If you need a good pdf viewer, without bloat things then check SumatraPDF: http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sum ... /news.html
Or if you like it very minimalist then take a lookt at MuPDF: http://mupdf.com/

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2013-09-16, 17:31

Yeah but where do we view pdf files from largely. Online.. Look unless you enable jsPDF it isn't even read into memory. But you know why it is also good? In a pinch or portable you always have a pdf reader you can enable when doing things online.

I'd say jsPDF being included is within the scope of the Pale Moon Core Mission Statement.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2013-09-16, 18:26

I just quickly checked file sizes for downloaded .pdf files here, I have 6 that are 41-73MB in size. For most pdf in browser users, that would mean a browser lockup until the files were fully downloaded - if they were hosted on a slow server, that would be a problem even for cable users.

Use a lightweight, non -malware targeted pdf viewer instead.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-16, 18:44

mattatobin wrote:unless you enable jsPDF it isn't even read into memory. But you know why it is also good? In a pinch or portable you always have a pdf reader you can enable when doing things online.
100% correct and why I have not removed it, and...
satrow wrote:I have 6 that are 41-73MB in size. For most pdf in browser users, that would mean a browser lockup until the files were fully downloaded - if they were hosted on a slow server, that would be a problem even for cable users.
this is why I say you should download them to view in a dedicated viewer. And do not use "PDF reader plugins" because that will just as much lock up the browser.

==> The current setup is desired. pdf.js available when needed, but disabled and not recommended for general use.
Social integration, to get back to the topic of this thread: So far, it's been a "Facebook promo", and not much else. I don't subscribe to that and I have no intention of giving that particular service provider special treatment, so: available but hard-preffed off for the time being, but if it remains a "sponsored integration" deal with no other services actively using it, I will seriously consider removing it entirely. Once again, mattatobin has the right idea:
mattatobin wrote:... not loaded into memory until needed. My sources tell me that it is possible many sites eventually will take advantage of said feature but until it is relevant it is disabled unless needed now. If it gets broad usage I am sure it being enabled by default will be reconsidered. As for it's complete removal that is a highly complex procedure but it would be considered if eventually no one ever took advantage of it.

critter

Unread post by critter » 2013-09-17, 21:46

Blacklab wrote:
critter wrote:(Sadly the-edmeister's suggested CSS script to remove the Services tab)... Does not work unless you are using Stylish and then it leaves a Stylish tab in add-ons so you are just trading one thing that should not be there for another,
Script then works as expected without needing to use the Stylish Add-on! :thumbup: Learn something new every day! :D

BTW - The ChromEdit Plus 2.9.10 Add-on has a tab that gives very quick access to Profile's "userContent.css" file too. :)
Works perfectly, Thanks for the help :wave: