Firefox/Pale Moon and Hotmail

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Anthor

Re: Firefox/Pale Moon and Hotmail

Unread post by Anthor » 2012-11-12, 19:25

I downloaded Pale Moon 15.2.1 yesterday and had the same problem. Turned out that my x64 version of Pale Moon needs a x64 version of java to make hotmail work. Here is the link: http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=69476

After installation hotmail opens fast and smooth.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-11-12, 20:29

Welcome to the forum.

Hmm i don't need Java for hotmail.

Anthor

Unread post by Anthor » 2012-11-12, 23:54

Thank you, happy to be here.

Maybe it's only a coincidence but precisely after java x64 installation hotmail started working. You use a x86 version of Pale Moon so I assume that when you installed it you already had java x86 installed. Then maybe hotmail is working on your Pale Moon from the start because of that.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-11-13, 01:45

Must be a coincidence - haven't had Java (JRE, JVM, or whichever version of name you prefer) installed on Win 7 x86 netbook for months and hotmail runs as well as it ever does - sometimes a bit slow to load - but gets there in the end and then works pretty well. Can't say I have run into anything that has demanded Java lately so I seem to manage very well without.

PS. Tiny (132KB) Java Ra 2.0 utility http://singularlabs.com/software/javara/ does a good clean uninstall of old Java versions (and will do updates and more if you want). Also available from Softpedia http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sys ... vaRa.shtml and other good download sites. :)

Anthor

Unread post by Anthor » 2012-11-13, 02:30

Very nice program and the site has other interesting utilities as well. Thank you.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-11-13, 16:48

Yes i use the x86 version, but i mean Java don't start if i visit hotmail.

So i don't know why you need this. Crazy

John Verity

Unread post by John Verity » 2013-06-28, 06:10

I have an unusual problem with Pale Moon and the British English dictionary 1.19.3. It keeps underlining parts of complete words as misspelling in hotmail (outlook.com). I have tried fresh installs of both Pale Moon and Firefox and it works correctly in FF but not Pale Moon, all settings and add ons are identical between browsers, and this is specific to hotmail and Pale Moon, all other webmail, gmail, Yahoo are unaffected.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-06-28, 11:20

@ John Verity: Welcome to the forum! :) Hmm... I also use Outlook (previously Hotmail) for e-mail from Pale Moon using the British English Dictionary (Updated) 1.19.3 Add-on as spell-checker... and I haven't seen your "keeps underlining parts of complete words" problem. I am sure I would have noticed!

Some obsevations/questions: i) If problem was Pale Moon only I am curious as to why you did a fresh install of Firefox as well - was the problem in both originally? ii) Is there any obvious logic/connection between the parts of words that are being incorrectly underlined? iii) As the same browser spell-check utility will be in use for all webmail whether, gmail, Yahoo or Outlook I am very puzzled as to how the incorrect underlining can only occur in Outlook?
Last edited by Blacklab on 2013-06-28, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-06-28, 11:50

I still have a Hotmail email address which is now under Outlook and I haven't experienced your problem running Pale Moon and Firefox in both Windows 7 and Linux Mint 14 when I access Outlook.

I'm using both Pale Moon and Firefox x86 versions. I also have Java version 7, update 25 installed (Windows 7).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-06-28, 11:57

Make sure to check that the dictionary is properly installed in Pale Moon by right-clicking a text input box and checking the "languages" submenu. British English should be present there -- if so, also make sure you have it selected; by default Pale Moon will use US-English which may underline words spelled differently in en-GB.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

John Verity

Unread post by John Verity » 2013-06-30, 06:12

Thanks for the welcome blacklab.And everyone else for the replies. I tend to use a primary and backup browser from different suppliers, I had gone to chrome to be able to use specific extensions and had removed firefox, hence the reinstall. Outlook is the only webmail or indeed anywhere on my system where this occurs. It has me flummoxed as well. It is specific to Pale Moon and Outlook.

Another couple of things that might give a clue. For instance, If it underscores the 'land' part of bland I have typed, and I click bland as the dictionary proposed word I want, it changes it to bbland as if it hasn't seen the original 'b' typed. Also, and I found this by accident, if I click the decrease indent in outlook once, it clears all the wrong underscores, but I then lose a line feed on return. Ascii code corruption / interference of some sort perhaps?
I have sort of learned to live with it, and if I'm composing a long email, I load firefox and log into outlook and it works perfectly. I haven't tried it on a different PC as yet, and it might be worth trying if only to find the cause and whether its machine dependent. The present setup is a Toshiba Satellite Pro P200, 2Gb ram and Win 7 Ultimate.
Sherlock Holmes would class this as a 3 pipe problem, I think. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-06-30, 14:30

It seems then that outlook.com inserts formatting in the middle of a word if you use indentation, because otherwise Pale Moon would not select only part of a word. This (html e-mail) formatting will be hidden from view but will be present in the actual input field. This is not something that can be "fixed" on the browser side, and it's something that should be reported to the outlook.com web programmers.

One of the many reasons why html e-mail is evil, I guess ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

John Verity

Unread post by John Verity » 2013-07-01, 05:47

Many thanks for the explanation Moonchild. I'll raise the problem with the outlook help desk and await a response.