GMX webmail interface Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Davesnothere

Re: GMX webmail interface

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-07-26, 17:16

FireFox 29 with only the current Classic Theme Restorer 1.5.3 extension added gets a screen which says that this browser version is not supported, but offers to go to inbox anyway - 'Continue to Login' - (Pale Moon does receive that offer anymore), and when I followed that link, it seemed to work.
GMX - Browser Not Supported - FF29.jpg

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-07-26, 17:24

Matt A Tobin wrote:Please limit....
OK, Tobin, I have edited my posts. :oops:

But now that you are here, what say you about the GMX problem while using Pale Moon 25 or 26 ?
Last edited by Davesnothere on 2016-07-26, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-26, 18:34

Davesnothere wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:Please limit....
OK, Matt, I have edited my post. :oops:

But now that you are here, what say you about the GMX problem while using Pale Moon 25 or 26 ?
Pale Moon 25 is not supported. As for 26.. I have no idea, likely upgraded some JS lib which is calling something we don't have and falling on its face. Like everything else seems to do.
Off-topic:
Everyone.. Call me Tobin or use my full name Matt A. Tobin. Please do not call me by my first name.

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-07-26, 19:39

Matt A Tobin wrote:
Davesnothere wrote: ....what say you about the GMX problem while using Pale Moon 25 or 26 ?
....I have no idea, likely upgraded some JS lib which is calling something we don't have and falling on its face....
Hmmmm....

But PM 27 Alpha apparently does have whatever the GMX site needs.

I wonder what that might be ? :? :think:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-26, 19:44

Davesnothere wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:
Davesnothere wrote: ....what say you about the GMX problem while using Pale Moon 25 or 26 ?
....I have no idea, likely upgraded some JS lib which is calling something we don't have and falling on its face....
Hmmmm....

But PM 27 Alpha apparently does have whatever the GMX site needs.

I wonder what that might be ? :? :think:
There is almost no way to tell. Not unless we can get an error from non-minifed js. As you may know, debugging minified JS is pretty much impossible.

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-07-29, 12:11

coffeebreak wrote:
Davesnothere wrote:Please, so where can I get that version to try ? - And is there a Portable Edition available ?
You can get it from the works-in-progress page: http://www.palemoon.org/WIP/.

There's not a formal portable build, but you can fix one up by substituting the binaries in portable PM 26 with those from a zip-packed copy of PM 27:
Grab the zipped version of v27, plus a copy of Portable PM 26.* (same architecture) and replace all the contents of Bin\Palemoon in the portable version with all the contents of the unpacked zipped version of PM 27.

Please be sure to read all the cautionary material on the WIP page first.

Edit:
Anyone who wishes to try this, and who is not already experienced with using portable PM...

Please also read the sticky at the top of the Pale Moon Portable support board: 'Some advanced options', and in particular scroll down to the section called: "If you want to use Pale Moon portable to test".
Just for grins, I tried this (now Alpha 2, BTW), and am pleased to report that it works !

I wanted to see for myself how patching the portable edition of 26.3.3 would go, and it went fine.

Thanks for the tip ! :thumbup:

Simply install 26.3.3 Portable to a new folder, run the portable launcher and configure the app to your liking, exit, delete and replace (as you said) the app files with those from the newer Alpha (or Beta, if one was available, I would expect), relaunch, and the profile from the 26.3.3 is inherited by the Alpha.

After doing that, all went cleanly, and the GMX WebMail site behaved as normal.

One thing which I should add is that while logged in, the favicon area showed an exclamation mark in red, which when hovered/clicked said something about the site not being secure.

Would that be a clue as to the current issue with GMX/MAIL.com ?

EDIT : On a later login, this notification did not happen.

Also, I did not check anything else about how this Alpha worked yet.

This test was performed on Windows Vista 32 Home Basic Edition SP2.

Tt7tt

Unread post by Tt7tt » 2016-08-13, 18:10

I'm a gmx.net (gmx.de) user with the blank page problem. Here's an ugly workaround to get to the mobile page at least. Works for me in PM 26.3.3.
  • on the blank page after login, select menu item View -> Page style -> No Style
  • Follow the link "Barrierefreies Postfach" => redirects to https://mm.gmx.net/folders?0
  • Switch back to Basic Page Style

plodr

Unread post by plodr » 2016-08-13, 22:16

WOW, you've been busy figuring that one out. I tried it and it does work.

In the meantime, I've simply set FF's homepage as GMX. I fire it up, read my mail and close it again using Palemoon for all other sites.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2016-08-13, 22:41

For an equally ugly workaround that might work across all affected gmx and mail.com sites: on the blank GMX/MAIL page, right-click and select "view page source", the second line shown is:
"If you’re using a screen reader, we recommend to use our"

What you need to do is copy the long link from the line below that (/logout?target=/navigator/jump/to/poseidon_light% blah, blah, blah,... ), right=click the link > Copy link location - paste the link back into the GMX blank tab's address bar > Paste & Go.

You should then be switched to the 'lightweight' ("barrier-free inbox") version of the site, with access to Mail and Help, etc. https://3c-bs.gmx.com/mail/mobile/folderlist;jsessionid (blah, blah, blah,... ).

rogero188

Unread post by rogero188 » 2016-08-16, 06:52

Says it all . . . .
Dear Roger,

Unfortunately, you are right, we do not support the browser Pale moon. If you cannot use any other browser as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, there is nothing that we can do. To use our product at its full functionality you should be able to use a supported browser and it should be as well updated.

We are sorry if the answer is not satisfactory but there is nothing else that we can do at this point as our product is always evolving an using the newest technologies.

Thank you for your understanding.

With kind regards,
GMX International Support

Ghasket

Unread post by Ghasket » 2016-08-16, 07:12

What I find interesting...even when using FF updated at work, I still get the "nag" screen at the top. They say to click up the link to get the latest Firefox, but instead, it takes you to their download site so you can use their "customized" version. No thanks!!

rogero188

Unread post by rogero188 » 2016-08-16, 10:13

In the meantime, I've simply set FF's homepage as GMX. I fire it up, read my mail and close it again using Palemoon for all other sites.
Good tip and it works in FF28.0. Thank you.

Max1964

Unread post by Max1964 » 2016-08-20, 11:24

Tt7tt wrote:I'm a gmx.net (gmx.de) user with the blank page problem. Here's an ugly workaround to get to the mobile page at least. Works for me in PM 26.3.3.
  • on the blank page after login, select menu item View -> Page style -> No Style
  • Follow the link "Barrierefreies Postfach" => redirects to https://mm.gmx.net/folders?0

very good tip!

works fine for me.

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2016-08-20, 15:13

Indeed, I'm using the same as well. It's a bit annoying, but seeing as GMX does work in Pale Moon 27, at least the workaround is only required for a temporary period.

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-08-25, 06:41

rogero188 wrote:Says it all . . . .
Dear Roger,

Unfortunately, you are right, we do not support the browser Pale moon. If you cannot use any other browser as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, there is nothing that we can do. To use our product at its full functionality you should be able to use a supported browser and it should be as well updated.

We are sorry if the answer is not satisfactory but there is nothing else that we can do at this point as our product is always evolving an using the newest technologies.

Thank you for your understanding.

With kind regards,
GMX International Support
What a crock of politics !

But thanks for sharing.

timoch

Unread post by timoch » 2016-08-27, 16:38

I have the same trouble accessing mail.com with PM and IE11, but it works just fine with K-meleon 76 RC.

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-08-30, 20:21

timoch wrote:I have the same trouble accessing mail.com with PM and IE11, but it works just fine with K-meleon 76 RC.
It's interesting that even Microsoft is getting no respect from GMX.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-08-30, 23:38

rogero188 wrote:
If you cannot use any other browser as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, there is nothing that we can do.
[…]
there is nothing else that we can do at this point as our product is always evolving an using the newest technologies.
They say there's nothing they can do. 100% BS. The real thing is: there's nothing they want to do. What a shame, GMX! :x They just don't want to do minor tweaks to fully support Pale Moon.

Besides, it's webmail service is far away from using the newest technologies. It's slow as hell —even new, $hitty Yahoo! Mail is much faster! They don't care about users feedback. They only make roll my å$š on the floor laughin'.

GMX ain't a serious company no more.

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2016-08-31, 11:41

In general, I agree.

GMX has sadly been going backwards for a while now. Their webmail interface used to be clean and powerful with tabbed capability, then they decided to remove that for some unknown reason, making the interface far worse and less usable than it was. Trying to write one e-mail whilst refer to a second one is a nightmare now thanks to the current lousy interface.

Their spam filtering capabilities are laughable and I frequently find all manner of important e-mails (in which I'm referred to by my full name, as opposed to the generic "Dear Customer" ones) which GMX flags as spam.

Then there's this issue. On other browsers, the site looks the same as always. So it's not as if they've rolled out a major new design or something which could have caused the issues. They've simply tweaked something minor no no apparent reason, broken the interface on browsers such as Pale Moon, then refused to take any responsibility for fixing it again. A very poor show overall.

Kalico

Unread post by Kalico » 2016-09-03, 15:10

Tt7tt wrote:I'm a gmx.net (gmx.de) user with the blank page problem. Here's an ugly workaround to get to the mobile page at least. Works for me in PM 26.3.3.
I have exactly this same problem. Actually, I'm glad to find that it's not just me. I'm not sure if it's the latest PM version that causes it or the changes being made at GMX (and I understand that there are a lot of changes going on).

The work-around above works for me, but it is pants as a solution. It renders ok for me in M$ Edge, but I would rather not use that.

One thing that might help you experts nail what might be causing it (and forgive my ignorance on these things) - I thought it might be to do with Java, so I went to update that. I couldn't find any reference to it in my Win 10 Control Panel, so I presume that PM has some version of it included. So, I went to www.java.com and installed it. No problem. After installation, it automatically popped up Internet Explorer to perform a 'Verify Installation' check. That ran no problem and it told me that Java had installed.

I then copied the URL (http://java.com/en/download/installed8.jsp) into PM and ran it. It fails with the following message:

"We are unable to verify if Java is currently installed and enabled in your browser.
If you have installed Java and there is an error with the verification, there could be a configuration issue (eg. browser, Java control panel, security settings) or the Java plug-in is blocked by the browser. Try restarting your browser before trying to verify the installation again, and check that the browser allows Java to run."

Hope that helps someone. Meanwhile I'll have to use another browser.