Memory Leak, Pale Moon x64

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
11ryanc

Memory Leak, Pale Moon x64

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2014-07-15, 04:38

I've been running Pale Moon 64-bit a while on this new custom built PC and noticed a rather interesting discovery. It's been consuming a massive amount of RAM, sometimes up to 2 GB or so just displaying a few webpages. I quit out of the browser to test and see if my memory would be free'd back up to ensure this was not OS/hardware related, and as expected RAM usage returned to normal using minimal only amount of memory to run OS services etc. This is not necessarily a new problem as the same was happening on my last computer with Pale Moon x64. That PC only had 2 gigs installed, so things got pretty ugly over there :D
I've removed it and instead installed the standard (x86) edition of the browser. That seems to have solved the issue and all is now running smoothly with reasonable amount of memory being used.
Just thought I'd report this as it appears to be a memory leak. Again, occurred on 2 of my computers. Both AMD systems for reference.
PC Specifications:
-AMD A6-3500, 2.10 Ghz, 3 core APU
-8 GB RAM
-ASUS F1A75-V Pro
-2 TB SATA HDD
Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64 SP2
Screenshot of Pale Moon using 2 GB RAM: http://i.imgur.com/gbAYuOd.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Memory Leak, Pale Moon x64

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-15, 07:36

Out of bounds memory use on the 64-bit version of the browser is usually related to a problem with 64-bit video drivers having a memory leak, not the browser itself.
See if disabling hardware acceleration in options solves the issue. If so, check your video driver version and update if not the latest. If it is the latest, see if you can report this to the driver manufacturer (I assume you're using AMD since it's an APU?) They may have more instructions for you to give them details for their development in that case.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

11ryanc

Re: Memory Leak, Pale Moon x64

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2014-07-15, 15:39

Moonchild wrote:Out of bounds memory use on the 64-bit version of the browser is usually related to a problem with 64-bit video drivers having a memory leak, not the browser itself.
See if disabling hardware acceleration in options solves the issue. If so, check your video driver version and update if not the latest. If it is the latest, see if you can report this to the driver manufacturer (I assume you're using AMD since it's an APU?) They may have more instructions for you to give them details for their development in that case.
Well I did use the AMD Auto Detect tool to install this video driver, and it appears to be somewhat older and has some res issues with games. I suppose this is just driver related for that matter. I'll look for an update and try some other time. For now using the 32-bit browser. Running smoothly for the time being.
Thought for sure this was a memory leak in the browser code itself.
-Thanks for clearing that up