Flash player in fullscreen on external monitor crashing

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
SGvagon

Flash player in fullscreen on external monitor crashing

Unread post by SGvagon » 2015-04-26, 22:22

Hello,

I have problem with Flash player. When I play Youtube video in fullscreen on external monitor (2nd Palemoon window) , Flash sometimes crash when I watching for 10-15 minutes and then change tab or create it on my primary monitor with primary Palemoon window (video stops, sounds stop after 10 seconds and then Flash crash (sometimes table with Plugin not responding or Windows table Flash stop working) .

This problem I have think from Palemoon 25.0 .

Thank you in advance and I hope that you will solve this problem.

_Poke_

Re: Flash player in fullscreen on external monitor crashing

Unread post by _Poke_ » 2015-04-27, 08:01

This always happens (even in 24, 23, etc for me), and is due to flash being unstable. Some things you can do that should reduce crashes.

Disable protected mode: http://www.palemoon.org/flashtool.shtml
Switch to an ESR version of Flash: https://www.adobe.com/products/flashpla ... tion3.html
Switch to the 32-bit browser, possibly. (I haven't tested this one)

From my experience this decreases the crashes but it does not entirely eliminate them (maybe 32-bit would). You can use your task manager to kill the plugin container when it does crash, to save the hassle of restarting the whole browser.

Personally I try to download long Youtube videos with an extension to avoid problems with the youtube player, and if I dare to watch a short video in-browser it almost always works.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2015-04-27, 10:08

Ok I try the ESR version first. Ok I try the ESR version. And what is exactly Flash Protected mode mean? When I disable Protected mode, flash player will less protect?
Btw. I use Palemoon 32bit, not 64bit.

_Poke_

Unread post by _Poke_ » 2015-04-27, 10:16

Moonchild explained it well in this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7821#p51157
Moonchild wrote:Flash protected mode makes the plugin dll spawn a separate .exe with restricted rights that actually runs the flash code, instead of just doing it normally.
With it on, the plugin-container in Pale Moon holds a minimal container itself, and the actual work is done in flash player .exes
With it off, the plugin runs directly in plugin-container.exe (which in itself is already a restricted environment) as a .dll plugin (like most/all other plugins do).
Pretty much, Pale Moon already runs it securely. With protected mode on, Flash itself will repeat this which is both pointless and unstable. Disabling this is probably the easiest fix to try.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2015-04-27, 21:53

Ok, disabling FlashProtectedMode maybe working :) . Thank you.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2015-05-01, 14:07

Hm, flash freezing and crashing today again :( . It crashing only in fullscreen on external monitor.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2015-05-04, 00:11

Ok I think I solved this problem :) .
I write solution here. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8138&p=53530#p53530 The problem was in plugin-container.exe .
I believe it helps someone :) !