Title bar alignment on Win 7

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Turtleman

Re: Title bar alignment on Win 7

Unread post by Turtleman » 2014-03-14, 09:46

Experiencing the same title bar problem here! Saw a post about changing the alignment, but found going back to 24.3.2 a lot simpler! I hope this will be fixed in a future version.

Turtleman

Unread post by Turtleman » 2014-03-15, 10:05

I probably need to clarify my previous post. Alignment of the title may be a matter of personal preference, but NOT when using the "Personal Titlebar" extension. Among other things, that extension reduces otherwise wasted vertical space by combining the Pale Moon pull-down with the usual File to Help menu. However, if the page's title is aligned left, it overlaps the menu, thus making both unreadable. Aligning the title back to center would fix it!

Here are three examples using the previous 24.3.2 version, the same page after updating to 24.4.0, and again when displaying the Menu Bar. Unfortunately, adding the Menu Bar essentially wastes the upper line.
Attachments
Pale Moon.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-15, 11:02

Please read the FAQ about this. it has instructions how to align it exactly the way you want or how to hide it.
Any normal text manipulation CSS keywords will work, so you are free to style it and place it however you want.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Turtleman

Unread post by Turtleman » 2014-03-15, 11:13

Thanks Moonchild, but I tried following the FAQ alignment instructions without success. I don't have a clue what I might be doing wrong. And yes, I am saving the file after adding the center alignment code. :?: Here's a snapshot of the modification:
Attachments
Modified.png
Last edited by Turtleman on 2014-03-15, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-15, 11:23

Make sure to completely exit the browser and restart it. userChrome.css is only read on start, it's not changed "on the fly".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Turtleman

Unread post by Turtleman » 2014-03-15, 11:27

Thanks, but I did restart. I just added a snapshot of the modified code to my previous post if that helps.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-15, 13:29

Turtleman wrote:Thanks, but I did restart. I just added a snapshot of the modified code to my previous post if that helps.
Code looks fine. I see it's based on the example file? Are you saving this as userChrome.css? userChrome-example.css will not work.

Turtleman

Unread post by Turtleman » 2014-03-15, 13:45

Whoops! I've been saving it under "userChrome-example.css" I'll try the other and get back with the results. Thanks!!!

Turtleman

Unread post by Turtleman » 2014-03-15, 13:55

IT WORKS! :D I'm confused (as usual), however. "userChrome-example.cs" is what opened after following the instructions in the FAQ. Then I simply saved the modified file in the the same folder. This time I "saved as" and selected "userChrome.css" I guess like everything else, it's easy when you know how! Thanks again for all your help.

Turtleman

Unread post by Turtleman » 2014-03-15, 14:01

PS: I hope saving the "modified" userChrome-example.css code didn't mess up anything in the original userChrome.css folder. Yeah, I know, I should have looked first! :mrgreen:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-15, 14:27

Turtleman wrote:IT WORKS! :D I'm confused (as usual), however. "userChrome-example.cs" is what opened after following the instructions in the FAQ. Then I simply saved the modified file in the the same folder. This time I "saved as" and selected "userChrome.css" I guess like everything else, it's easy when you know how! Thanks again for all your help.
I guess you missed this sentence in the FAQ:
By default, these folders may have example userChrome and userContent files in them. You can edit the example css file, but make sure that you save it with the name userChrome.css and not with any other name, or it won't work.
The example files are just examples. Their content won't matter. They are optional, as well :)

Turtleman

Unread post by Turtleman » 2014-03-15, 14:50

Moonchild wrote: I guess you missed this sentence in the FAQ: ...
Yep, I sure missed it. I guess I was too anxious to make the changes and forgot that when all else fails "read the instructions!" Gee, I really hate when I mess up like that.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-04-20, 01:25

If you have ever at times gotten into some big bunch of userChrome.css hacks. You can use the @import to actually split out your specific userChrome.css hacks. I'd recommend relative paths to the main userChrome file which allows portability.

Example:

userChrome.css

Code: Select all

@import url('userChrome-tweaks/appmenu-tweaks.css');
@import url('userChrome-tweaks/throbber.css');
userChrome-tweaks/appmenu-tweaks.css

#appmenu-button {
            padding-left: 10px !important;
            padding-right: 10px !important;
            margin-left: 5px !important;
            margin-right: 10px !important;
            background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(top,  #b4c4ce,  #000333) !important;
    }
    #appmenu-button .button-box .box-inherit:before {
	content: "Binary Outcast";
	text-shadow: 0px 2px 5px black, 0px 1px 2px #000  !important;
    }
    #appmenu-button .button-box .box-inherit .button-text {
           /* display: none; */
    }

#appmenu-popup {
  opacity: .93 !important;
}
userChrome-tweaks/throbber.css

#navigator-throbber {
  list-style-image: url("../throbbers/ns8/ns8-single.gif") !important;
  margin: 5px 5px 5px 5px !important
}

#navigator-throbber[busy="true"] {
  list-style-image: url("../throbbers/ns8/ns8-anim.gif") !important;
  opacity: 1.0 !important;
}
You could do the same thing for anything. It also allows better testing and commenting out of tweaks that don't really work due to a change in userChrome.css