Gmail trying to force me to change browsers

Support topics for the "Legacy" version of Pale Moon (3.5.x/3.6.x)
morgain

Gmail trying to force me to change browsers

Unread post by morgain » 2012-10-09, 17:06

When I first started using Pale Moon I could Close any messages that said I was using an out of date browser.

But now gmail has become aggressive. I can no longer close the message and it takes up a large amount of space at the top of the page - much more than before.

Can nothing be one? Surely a script could dismiss this kind of interference.

dark_moon

Re: Gmail trying to force me to change browsers

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-10-09, 17:48

I don't use gmail, but you can block this thinks with NoScript or if this realy aggressiv with AdblockPlus.

Pasta Viking

Unread post by Pasta Viking » 2013-05-24, 06:53

I personally don't use the Legacy version of Pale Moon, but I have a method that works for other annoying Google popups (such as the “Install Google Chrome” that shows up when you visit Google). I'd imagine it would work the same in this case.

Basically, all you do is install Adblock Plus and Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus (will probably have to install older versions of these add-ons), click your Adblock Plus icon, then click “Select an element to hide” and just hide the troublesome messages.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-05-24, 10:46

Workarounds aside, I'm afraid the GMail web interface will become severely broken for Legacy Pale Moon users (if it already isn't).
I would suggest you use a mail client like MailNews instead for your e-mail, and using IMAP to keep everything on the server intact (I believe it's the default for gmail accounts).
MailNews is on the WIP page since I don't officially support it, but it should be stable (I'm using it every day myself).
http://www.palemoon.org/WIP/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-05-25, 04:32

morgain wrote:When I first started using Pale Moon I could Close any messages that said I was using an out of date browser.

But now gmail has become aggressive. I can no longer close the message and it takes up a large amount of space at the top of the page - much more than before.

Can nothing be one? Surely a script could dismiss this kind of interference.
You can try to use the mobile or HTML basic versions, they are for legacy browsers like Blackberry browser and Opera Mini/Mobile in phones.