Development of this tool is very slow. I'm working on trying to make a proper encryption for it, but it's proving to be tricky because of limits of the compression tool. MozBackup was supposed to add support for Pale Moon but that tool seems all but abandoned by now.
The program uses Igor Pavlov's 7-zip Open Source compression tool to compress the backups (by default, but compression can be disabled). There is no password protection built into this tool.
It's meant for basic desktop installations only. Portable browser users don't need it, they can simply copy their browser&profile somewhere safe.
People with custom profile paths probably don't need it, they are likely to have profiles stored in an easy to use/copy location already anyway.
Once again: this will only work for default, desktop installations!
- Compression: uses 'normal' 7z compression, decent speed and not too power-hungry. No compression if disabled (very fast copy).
- Overwrite: Overwrites/updates the backup if one was already made that day. When checked, only one (_00) backup per date will be stored. When unchecked, will number backups incrementally.
- Show command window: When checked, it shows the command window of the 7-zip packer as it works. This is disabled by default and included mainly for people wanting extensive detail or for troubleshooting.
- Refresh icon: refreshes the list with backups.
- Folder icon: opens an explorer window in the folder where the backups are stored (to delete, manage, etc.).
- Backup: simply hit the button to make a backup.
- Restore: select one of the backups in the list, and hit restore to restore the profile.
- Set backup path, Options, Exit: self-explanatory.
NOTE: at the time of this writing, some AV programs may flag this program as a "Generic trojan". These are false positives on the rapid application builder package used to create this tool.
Current version: 188.8.131.521
File Size: 1,305,832 Bytes
Download link: http://relmirror.palemoon.org/tools/pmbackup.exe
Simply save it in a write-enabled location (it won't work from read-only media) and run it. No install/uninstall is needed - once you're done with it you can simply delete it.
Upon first run, it will extract the 7-zip packer, and create a settings file to remember the options you choose (including backup path).
Technical note: *.pmbackup files are regular 7-zip archives, but given this extension to keep the program from offering restores of non-backup archives. If you want to manually work with these in 7-zip, rename them to *.7z