How do I copy my Firefox profile to Pale Moon?

Frequently Asked Questions about the Pale Moon browser and their answers.

Moderator: Indalecio

How do I copy my Firefox profile to Pale Moon?

Postby Moonchild » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:42 pm

How do I copy my existing Firefox profile to Pale Moon?

On Windows:
To migrate a Firefox or old (3.6.3 or earlier) Pale Moon profile (bookmarks, passwords, add-ons, etc.) to Pale Moon 3.6.6 or later, use the profile migration tool. This tool will copy the profile(s) from Firefox to Pale Moon.

If, for whatever reason, the tool doesn't work (properly), you will have to copy things manually.

What you should do is:
  1. Open a copy of Firefox and Pale Moon
  2. In both, go to Help -> Troubleshooting information, and click the "Open folder" button under "Profile"

>> You now have two explorer windows open, one in your active Firefox profile, one in your active Pale Moon profile

3. Close both browsers, keep the explorer windows open.
  4. Copy all files and folders from your Firefox profile window to your Pale Moon profile window
  5. Close the explorer windows. You're done.

On Linux:
It is recommended you export your bookmarks in Firefox and import them in Pale Moon, and otherwise start fresh.

Some varied success has been reported using the FEBE tool to make selective backups and restores. Only select essential information like passwords and bookmarks. Extensions are best re-installed on Pale Moon due to potential path issues.
Please do not send me private messages for anything that could also be posted in the public boards.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Return to Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)