ublock Palemoon adaptation?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: ublock Palemoon adaptation?

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-02-13, 16:24

Ok well the dev has not got back to me, but I have found a couple of post that he has replied to, and basically we have to fix it ourselves. Should be easy though.

Link: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/590
Link: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/770
Link: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/518
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-02-13, 17:14

Have fun with that and do let me know when you have so i can list it.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-02-14, 03:01

@Matt, if you thought or any of you guys thought I was going to take on the issue, sorry because that's not what I meant. I'll try to be more clear next time.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-02-14, 04:29

If this is broadly wanted someone will need to.. I am the Leader of the Pale Moon add-ons Team but I cannot direct the development or the progress of every add-on that may join the ranks. I my self as mentioned before can only do so much and cannot take exclusive development of this. If someone would like to I will offer every resource I can to such a project but cannot directly take involvement beyond Administration.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-02-14, 12:45

It didn't block an ad in a YouTube video, so back to ABL for me. (LOL! I'm that picky)

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-02-17, 05:54

Seems to work sans the toolbar icon. I also am a proponent of this extension. It does everything AdBlock does, including granular custom rules a la Hiding Helper and takes less memory and CPU than all the alternatives.

Also hoping to one day see µMatrix on Firefox, as it's superior to NoScript and RequestPolicy in a similar vein. We'll see.

I've never had Ads on Youtube.. weird. Maybe it's the filter lists you've set up?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-17, 07:02

Tharn wrote:I also am a proponent of this extension. It does everything AdBlock does, including granular custom rules a la Hiding Helper and takes less memory and CPU than all the alternatives.
It's good that it works, but you don't have to try and sell it (and sister products) to us :)

Also, I'd appreciate it if you don't use this forum as a means of stating things that are difficult to verify (e.g. memory/cpu usage of an extension) or a vessel to repeat a different product's mission statement because it does get old quickly, no matter how much of a supporter you are of a certain tool/extension/product.

That goes for everyone, really.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-02-17, 10:02

My only reason for 'selling it' here is that it might increase the chances of catching a budding developer's attention as a worthwhile extension to be ported to PM. But it's your forum, fair enough.

As far as verifiability of those claims.. well, I tested µBlock, AdBlock and ABP in Chromium. These are not byte-identical with the Firefox extension of course, but it's a pain in the ass to gauge memory for FF extensions accurately. It's trivial for Chrome.

Anyway, you can pack a dozen block lists into µBlock and after a little while (a restart or two) you'll have a memory footprint that is still a bit less than either of the others with only EasyList and EasyPrivacy in it.

No way for me to verify CPU usage, but since at least half of the author's benchmark matches with the bit of research that I did, I figure he isn't trying to bullshit.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-02-17, 16:48

Tharn wrote:it might increase the chances of catching a budding developer's attention as a worthwhile extension to be ported to PM
AFAIK the only part of uBlock in need of "porting", that doesn't work in PM, is the toolbar button icon. All other uBlock features appear to be functioning."Porting" of the uBlock toolbar button, in its present form, to PM, is not worthwhile and may not even be possible.

The uBlock toolbar button is missing in PM. This uBlock toolbar button does appear in Firefox, however, and closely resembles the same toolbar button in Chrome. Click this toolbar button icon to open an options window, which options window does not look like an options window (options are well hidden from the user). Hover your mouse over certain portions of the window to select whitelist the website or whitellist the page. This button-options window also includes an eyedropper tool, for the user to select page elements to block. The eyedropper was introduced as a web development tool in Firefox 31and not available in PM. Furthermore, even if available, the eyedropper is excessively awkward to use.

uBlock options are stored in the ublock.sqlite file in the user profile. Currently, uBlock users in PM can manually add blocked elements and whitelisted websites, to this file, using uBlock options in the add-on manager.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-02-17, 18:16

Would it be nice if it came to Pale Moon? Yes. Should developers who are not broadly technologically incompatible with us add a few fallback code paths and fix it up for us? Yes. Is this going to happen? Not by the developer of the product he has clearly rejected direct support.

As I already stated yes.. It may mostly work but it was NOT designed for Pale Moon and there is NO support for it at this time. If another developer wants to fork it for us or joins the dev team for ublock to maintain support for us then great.. Slam bang listed but until such a thing happens PLEASE consider this add-on unstable for Pale Moon and regard it as able to break at a moments notice without any probability of being fixed.

HerbEppel

Unread post by HerbEppel » 2015-03-11, 16:34

uBlock was recommended today in the Firefox support newsgroup. I subsequently found this thread but I got a little lost, and I'm not sure whether there is a uBlock version that works with Pale Moon? Thank you.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-03-11, 19:15

HerbEppel wrote:uBlock was recommended today in the Firefox support newsgroup. I subsequently found this thread but I got a little lost, and I'm not sure whether there is a uBlock version that works with Pale Moon? Thank you.
uBlocks works, just not the UI on the icon.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-03-11, 19:58

µBlock runs great on Pale Moon, except for the missing toolbar button icon. However, µBlock can not be downloaded from AMO (downloading from AMO requires Firefox 29 or higher). Instead, download version 0.9.0.0 or higher from the µBlock home pages.

Instead of the missing toolbar button, to block page elements, use the right-click context menu (and select the µBlock "Block Element" menu item). Then, hover your mouse over the element to be blocked. Then select "Create".

To whitelist a domain or website, enter the domain or website in the Whitelist pane in µBlock options (from the Add-on Manager tab).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-03-11, 20:04

Keep in mind there is no assured future compatibility for Pale Moon. It isn't even considered. See my previous posts in this thread.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2015-03-11, 20:07

Off-topic:
Tobin was faster as i - but anyway... :D
A serious warning: It is important to say, no one knows when Ublock does not work anymore with Palemoon. This add-on is Australis optimized, so any future change can break Palemoon support in a blink of an eye! So do not put too much hope into it. Because if the Author ever decides to go fully Australis style, it's over!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-03-11, 20:19

Actually as i stated in previous posts this IS an Australis only jetpack based add-on with a VERY SLIGHT compatibility mod that makes it not blow up on earlier versions. It is not designed for anything below Australis and if they use a newer sdk i am guessing that would make it incompatible with us.

Anyway, I really cannot be bothered to continue any discussion about ublock just don't come crying to me when it breaks because you were duly warned before hand.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-03-11, 20:42

Sajadi wrote:This add-on is Australis optimized, so any future change can break Palemoon support in a blink of an eye!
If a future version of µBlock is incompatible with Pale Moon, I'll just continue to use a prior version. That's what I do, routinely, with all my Pale Moon add-ons (that is, use older versions of themes and extensions in Pale Moon-- when newer versions of these add-ons become incompatible with Pale Moon).

EDIT: µBlock's install file includes SeaMonkey, along with Firefox and Fennec, as target applications. µBlock installs (as its developers obviously intended) and runs just fine in SeaMonkey (albeit, the same as Pale Moon, without the toolbar button icon). And SeaMonkey, like Pale Moon, is non-Australis.
Sajadi wrote:A serious warning: It is important to say, no one knows when Ublock does not work anymore with Palemoon.
Nope.
Last edited by riiis on 2015-03-12, 15:38, edited 2 times in total.

HerbEppel

Unread post by HerbEppel » 2015-03-11, 22:24

riiis wrote:µBlock runs great on Pale Moon, except for the missing toolbar button icon. However, µBlock can not be downloaded from AMO (downloading from AMO requires Firefox 29 or higher). Instead, download version 0.9.0.0 or higher from the µBlock home pages.

Instead of the missing toolbar button, to block page elements, use the right-click context menu (and select the µBlock "Block Element" menu item). Then, hover your mouse over the element to be blocked. Then select "Create".

To whitelist a domain or website, enter the domain or website in the Whitelist pane in µBlock options (from the Add-on Manager tab).
Splendid, thank you 8-)

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-03-25, 15:07

The µBlock latest version (currently 0.9.2.1), compatible with Pale Moon (albeit with one less feature, i.e. the toolbar button icon), is always available at github. For whatever reason, the µBlock team removes Pale Moon (and SeaMonkey) compatibility, when hosting their extension at AMO. Thus, the fact that µBlock runs great on Pale Moon, but only if one uses the github version-- that fact is effectively well-hidden from Pale Moon users who don't frequent this Pale Moon forum.

The µBlock team has been gracious enough to make µBlock available for users of Pale Moon and older versions of Firefox, just not as downloads from AMO. Perhaps µBlock, at github, should be listed in Pale Moon add-ons as an external link, so that such graciousness of the µBlock team, and other add-on developers, is not discouraged as all-for-nought.
Last edited by riiis on 2015-03-27, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.

Skrell

Unread post by Skrell » 2015-03-25, 17:05

?? What are you talking about? The latest version STILL does not display an icon in Palemoon and hence is not fully compatible. Did you see something from the ublock team saying specifically they added PM compatibility?