Google Toolbar broken in PM 26.0

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

TMINY

Google Toolbar broken in PM 26.0

Unread post by TMINY » 2016-02-02, 18:04

Please don't throw rotten vegetables, but the aged Google Toolbar stopped working in PM 26.0 32-bit under Windows 7 64 and Windows Vista 32.

This is reproducible on a clean install of PM with no other extensions. The toolbar shows, but the search doesn't work when you press return. Also, all of the custom buttons disappear.

I have the max version revised in the plugin and it has been working perfect in PM up until now. (In fact, this extension was the reason I came over to Pale Moon.)

I still haven't found a suitable substitute for the various search features. The new Firefox search window is close, but you have to click on it to show the icons instead of having static targets on a toolbar. I am open to suggestions.

Is there any hope of this working in the new engine? Is it OK to offer a bounty for someone's help in getting this working in future versions of Pale Moon?

Thanks so much for a wonderful product!!!

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: Google Toolbar broken in PM 26.0

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-02-02, 21:09

Googlebar Lite should still work.

TMINY

Unread post by TMINY » 2016-02-02, 21:29

I don't think that has custom search buttons, correct? And it is no longer under development either.

TMINY

Unread post by TMINY » 2016-02-06, 18:45

Moderators, is it OK to offer a monetary bounty on this?

I've been playing around with alternatives...

It seems like the new Firefox search box emulates the old Google toolbar with custom search buttons and one-click search. Though, it would be nicer if this was a toolbar instead of a popup menu as that would mean the buttons were not a moving target. Also, to just use the buttons as site links, you have to click the magnifying glass button first.

The SearchWP addon brings back the functionality to find search terms on a page.

Context Search allows those custom buttons to be used in the context menu.

The Add to Search Bar addon allows me to right-click a site's search box to add a custom search button on the fly.

The Firefox custom search buttons do not have the Google Toolbar's ability to display feed info such as weather, but I can use a weather addon such as Forecast Plus.

(I am not using any of the other Google toolbar features such as AutoFill or sync'ed bookmarks.)

However, there are a ZILLION other reasons to keep me from switching back to Firefox - mostly gui-related. (Foremost, I have to run a Windows High Contrast theme. Then, I created a custom button to toggle ignore_accessibility_theme on/off. This allows me to temporarily view pages that us CSS background image sprites in a non-accessible manner (um, everybody!) This is absolutely crucial for me and Firefox doesn't have it.)

So I hope to find someone who has the skills to get Google Toolbar working in Pale Moon.

Or, a better scenario would be for Pale Moon to bring over Firefox's new search feature and then find someone who wants to write an addon that places the Firefox custom search buttons on a static toolbar. I think this would fit with Pale Moon's gui philosophy.

I would love to hear someone's take on all this. Thanks!

TMINY

Unread post by TMINY » 2016-02-06, 18:59

QuickSearchBar has the right idea with the gui, but it doesn't pull from the Firefox search engine list. So you cannot customize it or have the same engines in the context menu search list. Also, the dev is redirecting all the shopping searches through his quick-search.org (probably for affiliate commissions.)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/quicksearchbar/?src=api

TMINY

Unread post by TMINY » 2016-02-10, 20:41

$250 for someone to get the Google Toolbar working in future versions of Pale Moon? Or to build an addon toolbar which is similar?

TMINY

Unread post by TMINY » 2016-02-12, 17:56

OK, crickets. :-) Let me re-phrase...

Does anyone know a good place to commission someone to fix Google Toobar or create an addon such as I've described?

Will the Firefox search box functionality ever be brought over to Pale Moon?

TMINY

Unread post by TMINY » 2016-05-25, 22:20

Giving this a bump. Can anyone offer any advice? Or how about sending me a quote for fixing this?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-25, 23:15

Maybe you should look into actual developers-for-hire services if you're willing to offer compensation. It doesn't look like people in our community are interested in fixing this toolbar to work on Pale Moon at the moment.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2016-06-01, 12:43

A new add-on for this is under my construction :D
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=12159&p=85610

NorrinRadd

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2016-07-03, 05:26

I don't mean to be a turd, but what is the objection to Googlebar Lite?

TMINY

Unread post by TMINY » 2016-07-03, 12:13

AFAIK, GooglebarLite is no longer being developed and doesn't work in the latest versions. Also, you cannot add custom search buttons. It is Google only.

This new Search Buttons Bar is MUCH more flexible in that you can use any Mycroft search engine. Or you can use the Add to Search Bar extension to add custom search buttons for pretty much any page.

I manually created a few custom buttons by adding XML files to <profile>\searchplugins. If you do this, be sure to delete search.json and relaunch the browser. (I really only had to do this for a few pesky sites whose search box was created by js and Add to Search Bar just couldn't parse it.)

NorrinRadd

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2016-07-04, 05:03

TMINY wrote:AFAIK, GooglebarLite is no longer being developed and doesn't work in the latest versions. Also, you cannot add custom search buttons. It is Google only.

This new Search Buttons Bar is MUCH more flexible in that you can use any Mycroft search engine. Or you can use the Add to Search Bar extension to add custom search buttons for pretty much any page.

I manually created a few custom buttons by adding XML files to <profile>\searchplugins. If you do this, be sure to delete search.json and relaunch the browser. (I really only had to do this for a few pesky sites whose search box was created by js and Add to Search Bar just couldn't parse it.)
Ah, ok, the "custom search buttons" was the thing I was not understanding. I've been running Googlebar Lite for ages and it works fine. And I was pretty sure I got to choose which buttons would appear on the toolbar. But that wasn't what you meant by "custom."

van30

Unread post by van30 » 2016-08-23, 00:35

This is bad! I can't stay without Google Toolbar. For now, Pale Moon is useless. (to me) If they don't change it I'll gave up and uninstall it. :thumbdown:

TMINY

Unread post by TMINY » 2016-08-23, 14:35

You should use this new extension, developed by tumpio-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... uttonsbar/