Updating "Print pages to PDF" addon

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Updating "Print pages to PDF" addon

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2014-09-03, 02:45

There is a new version of Print pages to Pdf ... at last. v0.5.0.x plus legacy versions

Should I uninstall the older v0.1.9.3 before installing v0.5.0.x ? :?:

Developers comments are interesting ... :mrgreen:
developers frustrations.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Updating "Print pages to PDF" addon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-03, 08:31

They are complaining about a context menu item? And at the same time... they allow websites to add context menu items freely (and do it themselves on the MDN web pages, too), which happened to have been something I looked at yesterday.

EDIT: as for the main question: if it's a normal add-on, then you should just be able to install it without uninstalling the previous.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2014-09-03, 09:23

Thank you Moonchild, for clearing that up so promptly. :D
Win-7 PRO 64-bit

opera1217b1863

Unread post by opera1217b1863 » 2014-09-05, 11:40

How is it better than having a virtual printer installed?
(I have one and it is available to all programs, not just to a browser.)

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2014-09-05, 13:59

@ opera1217b1863
Who is your question directed to ... O1d[hook or Moonchild ?
Win-7 PRO 64-bit

opera1217b1863

Unread post by opera1217b1863 » 2014-09-08, 09:26

To you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-08, 09:28

To me huh? :lol:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

opera1217b1863

Unread post by opera1217b1863 » 2014-09-08, 18:06

Is my English THAT bad?!
01d[hook: Who is your question directed to ... O1d[hook or Moonchild ?
opera1217b1863: To you.
How could there be any misinterpretation?

I'm really interested why people use such add-ons instead of a virtual printer?

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2014-09-09, 01:51

Thank you opera1217b1863 for your question :)

I don't know what a virtual printer is ...
1. how does it work ?
2. where do I get it from
3. do you mean "Microsoft Document Writer" (which is MS failed attempt to displace PDF)

I would like to look at and test what you are proposing

The reason I like PDF is ...
1. HTML file-folder size is a lot bigger than PDF (in a test PDF was 13% of HTML folder/file)
2. eMails I can annotate the PDF file whereas "Editing" EML files quite often sabotages formatting of the original email.

I would appreciate your guidance to virtual printer :)
- always willing to learn something new
Win-7 PRO 64-bit

opera1217b1863

Unread post by opera1217b1863 » 2014-09-09, 09:00

There are lots of virtual printers out there:
1) CutePDF
2) doPDF (the one I use myself)
3) many others

If you install one - you'll be able to "print" to PDF from any program, not just a browser.

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2014-09-09, 13:14

@ opera1217b1863 :)

The fact that you use doPDF clarifies that I already have a PDF virtual printer.
I have been saving web pages as PDF for over a year, I didn't know it was called "virtual printing"
- using PDF24 for both Fax and PDF
- but PDF24 only creates an image, it does not replicate links nor index of contents
- I compered PDF24 with "PDF tab as PDF" -- I will be ditching PDF24 as near useless
- "PDF tab as PDF" (a mozilla browser addon) does an excellent job of printing a web-page to PDF
- although images are often cut in half

Presently I use "PDF-XChange Editor PRO", even in its free version it was light years ahead of Adobe Reader.
- looks like I can setup "Editor PRO" as virtual printer with a registry tweak

I did find "doPDF" today. Got as far as reading a lot and documenting pertinent features.

Thanks again :)
Win-7 PRO 64-bit

opera1217b1863

Unread post by opera1217b1863 » 2014-09-09, 13:58

01d[hook wrote: - but PDF24 only creates an image, it does not replicate links nor index of contents
What I like about doPDF (or CutePDF) is that the documents are search-able - they are not images.

The only feature of the above-mentioned add-on that is apparently missing from these virtual printers' options: the ability to create a seamless web-page-long PDF rather than split it into a set of A4 (or whatever paper size one chooses).

As for the PDF reader - I'd recommend to look at Foxit Reader.

Edit:

I've visited the doPDF's site - there is an "update" - v8, which requires .NET v4 !!! Horrorzzz!!!
I'll move to the CutePDF now.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2014-09-09, 17:14

01d[hook wrote:...I have been saving web pages as PDF for over a year, I didn't know it was called "virtual printing"
- using PDF24 for both Fax and PDF
- but PDF24 only creates an image, it does not replicate links nor index of contents
I did find "doPDF" today. Got as far as reading a lot and documenting pertinent features.
If you're using PDF to archive web pages you visit, there are more robust, efficient, and easy-to-use tools available.

For example, Zotero will save links to webpages, copies of the webpages themselves, your related notes, emails, word documents-- just about anything. And, all these documents are organized in a hierarchical, searchable database. Zotero is heavily used in academia, for research, books, and papers. But, it's also easy for casual and individual use. Zotero is available as a Firefox add-on (recommended), as well as Windows standalone versions for Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. Zotero also is fully compatible with Pale Moon (including Pale Moon 25).

Another add-on, for saving and organizing notes and webpages, is Scrapbook. Scrapbook can be used in the Pale Moon sidebar, and is also fully compatible with Pale Moon 24-25.

I also use the notes program List-it quite a bit to save links to and excerpts of webpages. List-it is primarily a "notes" sidebar, developed and hosted at MIT, and is also fully compatible with Pale Moon 24-25. (Note, if the List-it website is unavailable, try later. An earlier version of List-it is also available from the AMO website).

The latest version of "doPDF" appears to be a major new direction for this software, and now much more than a virtual printer. But prior versions of "doPDF" are still available for download from the "doPDF" website.

You can also archive entire websites, tabs, or multiple tabs efficiently in MHT or MAFF(zip) format, using the "Mozilla Archive Format" add-on.