a low mem mode [x64]

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
wojteksz

a low mem mode [x64]

Unread post by wojteksz » 2015-04-16, 05:15

my PM has to be restarted practically everyday - when it significantly slows down operation and memory size reaches 4GB or more )one i got to 8GB ;) )

i use always automatically updated x64 version for the last 8 months
my way of using is where i open and read a lot of subpages (like visiting a portal and open in new tabs links to different articles from the said portal) - i read the content and then close some of them after reading leaving the most important to use later. Over the day i would open some 50-100 new pages, by the end of the day having opened some 50 pages in 2 windows.

seems that the memory gets bigger with every opened page - probably remembering the smaller view to use later as catalogue (like a history made from 'list all tabs' view) for whatever later use.

my suggestion - enable a low mem mode where amount of the stored information about the visited site is limited to minimum (just the address, no pictures, no browsing history, no position to automatically get back). this could be enabled via config file so no user interface changes would be needed.

wojtek

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: a low mem mode [x64]

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-16, 07:54

Constantly increasing memory usage is not normal behavior. Since you are using the 64-bit version of the browser, this may be caused by a faulty 64-bit video driver.
Alternatively, this may be caused by one of your extensions not releasing page memory.

You should post in the x64 board on this forum to see if you can find the cause of these issues - there is nothing that can be done on the browser side; and the likely causes won't be remedied by crippling the page display.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

wojteksz

Unread post by wojteksz » 2015-04-17, 05:49

i have upgraded the driver but still no progress here.
when analyzed with about:memory two times: yesterday afternoon and today morning (after working as usual so opening and closing many tabs) i come to this situation
http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/183 ... 17a646.htm
seems that the style-sets are a real problem here and the browser now works s l o w l y (when i type it cannot follow my typing speed) while typing in Thunderbird or Word follows typing without delay.

so what is the problem and can we get away with it? what other information can be provided to help diagnosing the core problem?

wojtek

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-17, 07:47

Moving this to the support board.

Your link is a 404 File Not Found - please attach a file to your post or similar to prevent broken links?
If you memory use goes out of bounds because unreleased pages/tabs, then yes, the browser will get slow because tabs are never released and the browser needs to continue to multitask.

Starting the browser in Safe Mode (start by holding down SHIFT and then pressing "continue in Safe Mode") may give more insight. If this solves the problem for you, then please list which extensions you are using, and include the output of the Graphics section (at text) from Help -> troubleshooting Information... in your reply.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

tmtisfree

Unread post by tmtisfree » 2015-04-18, 17:08

You can use Firemin (http://www.rizonesoft.com/software/firemin/) which now supports PaleMoon to drastically reduce memory use.

wojteksz

Unread post by wojteksz » 2015-04-18, 20:23

enclosed is the picture from the original post (running standard mode)

i tried in the secure mode - and the result is the same or similar - i have many tabs active, the browser gradually slows down and memory climbs up
current memory status also enclosed as file

i also tried tho see how PaleMoon is seen from the processMonitor and it seems to write 32768bytes to ...\cookies.sqlite-wal every 4 seconds - ??
i am familiar with sysinternals and can provide data from this outside monitor if helpful - enclosed see the procexplorer threads view where shockvawe flash can be easily seen ;)

Wojtek
Attachments
memory info (instead of the pic from the broken file link)
memory info (instead of the pic from the broken file link)
memory-reportsafe mode end2.json.gz
memory info safe mode
(388.16 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
threads tab
threads tab

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-19, 09:39

Seems like you're losing everything in "style-sets" which is most definitely odd and would indicate a problem with the layout not properly releasing memory. That can be caused by a multitude of things. In fact, Window-objects should not be more than 50MB or so in most cases. 500 is already way too much, 1.5GB is certainly wrong.

A screenshot doesn't help much for further investigation, especially since it won't show any details about what exactly is opened and what you compartments are (which is listed above). Please include a full report from about:memory as text (in a private message if you feel your URLs visited are potentially compromising to be posted public) so I/we can have a look at what is happening there. External monitoring programs won't help because it's clear it happens inside the browser somewhere, and the internal memory measurements will be more detailed than what external programs can supply.

wojteksz

Unread post by wojteksz » 2015-04-20, 06:57

pls see the complete memory report file enclosed
in the process explorer i see PM having some 93 threads
Wojtek
Attachments
memory-report- 2.5gb.json.gz
(226.92 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2015-04-20, 09:36

Hi Wojtek, I'll leave the memory breakdown to Moonchild.

For comparison, my current PM x64 session (30 hour uptime, 1.7GB Working set) is using 49 Threads/~2010 Handles.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-21, 10:00

I had a quick look and it seems like what accumulates all the memory is every single control on a webpage getting a 3.5+ MB large stylesheet attached to it. That adds up really quickly. e.g. one site had 15 tweet buttons listed on a single page (common for blogs, etc) but each single instance of that button would take over 4MB of memory, all lost in "style-sets". If you have 100 tabs open (like your memory report suggests) then this can really accumulate easily.

This can easily happen if you use an ad blocker, unfortunately, if it is stylesheet-based (like Adblock Latitude, especially if you go overboard with filter subscriptions!).
BUT: If this happens in Safe Mode as well, then regularly installed extensions should all be disabled and not impact this, which makes it a bit of a conundrum (unless you have an extensive stylesheet that gets added to content otherwise).

So, please double-check what all you have installed in the browser, please list the extensions you use, and if you use any third-party installed toolbars or blockers on your system as well that may interact with the browser -- You may simply need a more light-weight solution for what you trying to do when you have 100 tab open concurrently (or use a tab unloader like bartab heavy). If there is a discrepancy with releasing memory in the browser, and you didn't actually have that many tabs open as the memory report suggests, then please check for extension compatibility first thing.

EDIT: I verified that disabling adblock latitude (disable everywhere) shrinks memory use considerably on poorly designed sites with several dozens of social widgets like zerohedge.com. So it seems to me that the measured memory as seen in the report was actually not with it disabled (the large sheet per control is a sign of it being active) and all your extensions were active at the time of measuring. Can you double-check in "safe mode" (that is NOT "secure mode" or a Private Browsing window, because that will not disable your extensions)? Instructions for starting the browser in this mode are listed above.

wojteksz

Unread post by wojteksz » 2015-04-23, 20:42

thanks Moonchild
enclosed a confirmed safe-mode data from the start and end 2 days later, when it had 58 threads and 1,8GB
i had to kill the application to enter this reply on the forum as when i tried to refresh the tab with this thread it just didn't open even after 60sec wait!
file names should be self-eplaining
i moved from Firefox as it was gathering memory - i switched to Palemoon as it is simpler - i would like to help making it even better!
regards
Wojtek
Attachments
memory-report-safe start 0.3gb.json.gz
(54.53 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
memory-report-safe two days later 1.8gb.json.gz
(665.81 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-24, 09:36

If you are keeping auto-refreshing websites open constantly for 2 solid days, then there may be your problem. Very long-term slow accumulation of memory can happen easily with auto-refreshing sites unless they are written absolutely flawlessly with regards to releasing allocated resources.

I'll have a look at the memory reports later today to see if I can find out where this memory vanishes to.

EDIT: had a quick look already, and zerohedge is just a very heavy site that doesn't seem to clean up after itself properly. Opening many articles in tabs and leaving them loaded has the side effect of accumulating a lot of javascript code/resources over time (1 GB of your data goes to JS functions after your 2 days).
If you prefer to use this site this way and keep tabs with different articles open (as opposed to bookmarking) then I suggest a tab unloading extension that will automatically free up the resources used by pages like these after x amount of time.

ikar-us

Unread post by ikar-us » 2015-05-27, 14:55

Moonchild wrote:Window-objects should not be more than 50MB or so in most cases. 500 is already way too much
I have 508MB right now, started one hour ago, doing nothing special.
(But am not experiencing difficulties.)

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-05-27, 15:10

Talking about window-objects or total memory used by the browser? The latter is nothing out of the ordinary.

ikar-us

Unread post by ikar-us » 2015-05-27, 15:14

Window-objects. 607MB now.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-28, 12:04

Please see above for potential causes.