compiling PM with GCC

General discussion and chat (archived)
Hannibal living

compiling PM with GCC

Unread post by Hannibal living » 2013-06-12, 17:57

Hello!
I do not have any knowledge about this, so just ignore me if my question is stupid.

Would it be much work for you if you try to compile the finished version of Pale Moon not with MSVS 2012 but with GCC?
I read it would be much faster than the Intel and Microsoft compilers if you know how to use it.

Perhaps someone here is interested/in passion for trying it.
You can use this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/

Sincerely
Hannibal living

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: compiling PM with GCC

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-06-13, 10:16

My experience is that compiling with GCC will not give any advantage at all and will result in slower/less optimized binaries. I'm not sure who claimed it would be "much faster" but I think they would be quite mistaken ;)
In fact, there's a very good reason why Mozilla uses the non-free Visual Studio to compile Mozilla code on Windows, even if the source tree caters for GCC (the default on Linux OSes).

It will be fairly simple to compile with GCC on Windows, I believe the MDN has documentation how to do this, but it'd not be something I personally would be doing. If you want to tinker with it, go right ahead (the source for Pale Moon is available) and I'd also be happy to add your result as a contributed build if people prefer a GCC binary for some reason.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite