PM 15.4.1-x64: Duplicated button in W7 taskbar [SOLVED]

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
KNTRO

PM 15.4.1-x64: Duplicated button in W7 taskbar [SOLVED]

Unread post by KNTRO » 2013-02-22, 12:13

Hi,

I have pinned 3 web browsers on my Windows 7 taskbar: Mozilla Firefox 19.0, Pale Moon 15.4.1-x64 and Comodo IceDragon 18.0.3.1. However, I noted a strange behavior with Pale Moon's button on taskbar — When I run Pale Moon, it creates a new button in taskbar, it duplicates it, as seen below.

The normal behavior should be that the application's pinned button just highlights itself when running —just like Firefox's and IceDragon's ones, but not to duplicate itself.

Thanx.
Last edited by KNTRO on 2013-02-23, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon 15.4.1-x64: Duplicated button in Windows 7 tas

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-02-22, 13:39

Make sure you're not pinning the shortcut to Pale Moon (e.g. by pinning it to the taskbar from your start menu or from a desktop icon), but the actual Pale Moon program itself.

To fix this:
  1. Unpin your currently pinned icon
  2. Right-click the taskbar icon of the currently running Pale Moon and select "pin to taskbar"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-02-22, 13:53

This seems to be a "quirk" in Windows 7 taskbar - it's not a Pale Moon specific problem - search and you will find same "double icon" problem for many other Apps e.g. ghacks article "Fix Pinned Items Opening As New Icons In Windows 7 Taskbar" http://www.ghacks.net/2010/10/12/fix-pi ... 7-taskbar/

Anyhow correction is simple - right click old Pale Moon taskbar icon, unpin and close it, then pin new Pale Moon icon to taskbar and move back to usual position in you taskbar (ie; where the old icon was to start with!). After this Pale Moon will also reappear on Start Menu first page "most used" programs list - in it's previous position. :) (Moonchild puts all this rather more succinctly above! :lol: )

More discussion and links on this problem/quirk in this somewhat misnamed "3 old bugs are back" topic: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1680

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2013-02-23, 05:26

Thank you to you both. It worked OK.

Nice to find a solution so quickly. Nice to find smart people like you both. ;)

Best regards!

KNTRO

Re: PM 15.4.1-x64: Duplicated button in W7 taskbar [SOLVED]

Unread post by KNTRO » 2013-03-05, 12:39

Hi again.

Some days ago my pinned web browsers were all updated and Pale Moon x64 was the only one that repeated this strange taskbar behavior. So it seems there's a problem with Pale Moon after all.

Please fix this up. Thanks a lot.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM 15.4.1-x64: Duplicated button in W7 taskbar [SOLVED]

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-05, 13:58

There is nothing I can do to fix this, I'm afraid. Just unpin and repin. It's possibly more prone to happen with native 64-bit applications, I don't know.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite