PM remains in processes after closing

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Leena Sircar

PM remains in processes after closing

Unread post by Leena Sircar » 2013-10-18, 03:40

I have Windows Xp Prof Sp3 fully updated till date.
I have PM Port 24.0.2. (Latest Version)
I have a problem.
After I close my PM Port browser, my Task manager-Processes, still shows two entries - 1.palemoon.exe 2.palemoon portable, which should end when I close PM browser.
Due to this when I restart PM I get error window Pale Moon is running.
Is there any tweak in about:config which could solve this problem ?
Thank you in advance.

dark_moon

Re: PM remains in processes after closing

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-10-18, 03:44

The most reason for this is when you have a antivirus or other security programm, which block something so pale moon have problems.

Leena Sircar

Unread post by Leena Sircar » 2013-10-18, 03:51

dark_moon wrote:The most reason for this is when you have a antivirus or other security program, which block something so pale moon have problems.
Thank you for responding Sir, but this does not give me any solution.
Btw, I have no antivirus or other security program installed
Maybe someone helps, because I know there are many experts on this site.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2013-10-18, 17:55

The problem of PM portable not closing should be rare (although from time to time it may occur). It is recommended to wait, say, around 5-10 seconds before restarting Pale Moon.

If PM does not terminate in that time, terminate palemoon.exe.

Although, if you need to restart frequently, why not use the "Restartless restart" extension?

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-10-19, 01:59

Please check if another process called "plugin-container" is open as well. Sometimes add-ons and plug-ins crash silently and so why palemoon.exe keeps on memory.

Also try palemoon with a new user profile with the following command in the Run option at start menu and check if palemoon still hangs.

Code: Select all

palemoon.exe -p

Leena Sircar

Unread post by Leena Sircar » 2013-10-19, 09:14

lobocursor wrote:Please check if another process called "plugin-container" is open as well. Sometimes add-ons and plug-ins crash silently and so why palemoon.exe keeps on memory.
Also try palemoon with a new user profile with the following command in the Run option at start menu and check if palemoon still hangs.

Code: Select all

palemoon.exe -p
lobocursor Sir,
1. I looked into task manager as you advised and found that no process named "plugin-container" exists :
a. When PM Portable is running.
b. After PM Portable is closed.
2. I have a shortcut to the exe file placed on my desktop by which I always start PM Portable therefore, as directed by you Sir, I started PM Portable in Command Prompt by typing "Palemoon-Portable.exe -p" (because I have portable version). There was no visible change and PM started like normal.
3. Sir, I may also beg to state as follows :
a. My PM Portable, when shut, does not remain in memory at all times, but most, in not any set order.
b. After exiting PM portable, if my Task Manager does not show two entries i.e. palemoon,exe and palemoon-portable, next restart is faultless.
c. Irrespective of after what interval I restart PM Portable the error alert is displayed, whenever it remains in process list after closing PM Portable.
Thank you in advance.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-10-20, 01:46

Leena Sircar wrote: *snap*
a. My PM Portable, when shut, does not remain in memory at all times, but most, in not any set order.
b. After exiting PM portable, if my Task Manager does not show two entries i.e. palemoon,exe and palemoon-portable, next restart is faultless.
c. Irrespective of after what interval I restart PM Portable the error alert is displayed, whenever it remains in process list after closing PM Portable.
Thank you in advance.
Sorry for just go to the point. From now I discard 2 common troubles from your install: Dirty profile (none tool can really clean them and after some months they are damaged) and add-ons/plug-ins troubles.

Next common trouble:
* Do you use a firewall and/or antivirus? They did "sandboxed" (limit their system's usage) in some way the file palemoon.exe? In this case they keep open Palemoon for scan it for malicious activity.

For more detailed support we need that you send us some info:
Windows Version and type (32 or 64 bits)
Ram memory
Video card model
Add-ons or plug-ins that you can use (just in case you had installed by accident someone not compatible with PM)

Leena Sircar

Unread post by Leena Sircar » 2013-10-20, 10:06

lobocursor wrote:For more detailed support we need that you send us some info:
Windows Version and type (32 or 64 bits)
Ram memory
Video card model
Add-ons or plug-ins that you can use (just in case you had installed by accident someone not compatible with PM)
lobocursor Sir,
Before answering to your questions I wish to tell something. It is the class of people like you who make simpler, the lives of under-average computer users like me. It is you who make browsers like Pale Moon look much more beautiful and stronger than others. The amount of personal pains you took shows how much you are committed to solve problem.
Thank you Sir.
I give below details :
Windows Version and type (32 or 64 bits) and Ram memory :
http://s6.postimg.org/4xpunonip/image.png
Video card model :
http://s6.postimg.org/o5hky0v81/image.png
Extensions :
http://s6.postimg.org/6v0cxhic1/Image_5_Ex1.png
http://s6.postimg.org/fftoonsi9/Image_5_Ex2.png
Plug-ins :
http://s6.postimg.org/iny61pes1/Plugin.png
Thanks once again Sir.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-10-20, 14:38

A quick suggestion to start off with, in your add-on mnager, click the little gear icon and choose "check for updates" as it seems you are having a few outdated extensions in your list that may be part of the problem. Once the check is complete, click "install updates"
See if that helps with your issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-10-21, 02:20

Leena Sircar wrote:Thanks once again Sir.
I will be out for some time, but Moonchild the author of Pale Moon will check your posts. You cannot get in better hands. ;)

Leena Sircar

Unread post by Leena Sircar » 2013-10-21, 06:04

Moonchild wrote:A quick suggestion to start off with, in your add-on mnager, click the little gear icon and choose "check for updates" as it seems you are having a few outdated extensions in your list that may be part of the problem. Once the check is complete, click "install updates"
See if that helps with your issue.
Moonchild Sir,
I worked as you directed and here are results :
http://s6.postimg.org/zdn1dpb81/Un_Known.png
http://s6.postimg.org/nd1lcz3td/Upto_Date.png
I have not found any outdated extensions Sir.
BTW, I wish to share one. I have this same PM Portable with same profile on my other computer which does not stick when closed. Moreover, I am not facing problem for last two days.
Therefore I plan to update you once again, if this problem reoccurs.
Thanks tons, Moonchild Sir
lobocursor wrote:I will be out for some time, but Moonchild the author of Pale Moon will check your posts. You cannot get in better hands.
lobocursor Sir,
I know Moonchild is the author and I have great respect for him Sir. Unless he is very knowledgeable he would not create such wonderful alternate to the great Firefox which is better than FF. I have no worries Sir. Also you are no less wonderful Sir.
Thank you once again.